• Register
  • Help

Topic: Intel X38 / QX9650 DAW w/ RME card.

Share/Bookmark

Intel X38 / QX9650 DAW w/ RME card.

I decided to build a 64 bit machine in preparation of Gigastudio 4's release.

Are there ant VSTi's that are 64bit that someone can suggest trying out during the assembly of this feirce bastard?
    JimmyV

Re: Intel X38 / QX9650 DAW w/ RME card.

VSL now has the Vienna Ensemble VST which is x64. All the new Vienna Instruments libraries use it. I've been using it in Sonar for the past week and it works great! I'm also testing the new Aria x64 player that the new Garritan libraries will be using. Both have been stable without a crash yet. It's nice being able to use my full 4 GB of RAM.

Jim

Wink Re: Intel X38 / QX9650 DAW w/ RME card.

Thanks Again For Your Reply,

The Vienna Ensemble from what I understand is a sub host for all VSL instruments.

Does it work w/ XP so I could try out the standard strings library for 645 USD?

If so I would like to buy that and get to work on it in my downtime.

The Aria 64 player sounds interesting also, is that downloadable from the Garritan home site?

I still have his Harp from gigasampler days. I used it in a Jazz Trio thing for a while w/ some Marimba and Vibes years back. It still is a very playable instrument. I really want his Steinway though.

You are very helpful kind sir, and I imagine you have many betas, and lot's of experinence w/ VSTi's. I have analog synths and Scope DSP synths so I am rather happy with that hybrid mix, but w/ the sample based instruments I am nervous about purchases I might not be pleased with.

Could I possibly send you my email via a PM?

I have a good sized budget to work with and would really appreciate your expertise in some purchases if you have the time.

Thanks Again,
    JimmyV

Vienna Ensemble works with XP 32 or 64-bit. There are separate versions for both included in the one download. I'm using Vienna Special Edition with it. Yes, it will work with the standard string library or any of the current Vienna Instruments libraries.

The Aria engine is still in beta and will be the engine for the Garritan Steinway Grand. At this time it will just be a player for the Garritan libraries.

Jim

I am waiting for the Steinway. I am one of those strange cats who loves New Orleans style, and ragtime. I usually just walk in and play a real piano as the gigs where I do that type of work all have Uprights or Grands.

But even w/ certain classical peices especially Debussey, the sos pedal is a must. I just see no point in buying another library or instrument that doesn't have that ability. I must have 20 acoustic piano libraries, and instruments. I only use 2 of them. The sounds are fine, but the sos is all that is missing.

Thanks For Your Help. I am building a new DAW just for Vista 64bit applications where I can access 4-8GB's of RAM.

I have friends who can access 8GB's of RAM on their MacTel's using Logic's sampler and 32bit. I'm still wondering why this whole 64bit move has to happen. The 3GB switch works, even though nobody wants to support it. It sure seems like XP and developers could easily make their code work for LAA in 32bit mode. Oh, well. I spend my time performing, they spend their time developing, as long as I can do what I need to to run some of these great sounding instruments, I shall be a pawn and play nicely.

JimmyV

Go Back to forum