• Register
  • Help

Topic: Fade in/out with Samples

Share/Bookmark

Fade in/out with Samples

Hi,
    i'm writing a part for solo Violin and I would like to have a nice fade in (or crescendo from pp) ....do you know I can achieve it without touching Cc7 that messep up the volume in the patch?! Thanks

Re: Fade in/out with Samples

Quote Originally Posted by aLfR3dd
    Hi,
    i'm writing a part for solo Violin and I would like to have a nice fade in (or crescendo from pp) ....do you know I can achieve it without touching Cc7 that messep up the volume in the patch?! Thanks
    Use Expression, cc11, or a crescendo patch.

D

Thanks i already know cc11 but not every library works with it (it think maybe only east west stuff) ....the problem is that i just want to apply this to my legato patch without loading any other sample

What library are you using?
    Do you want to use the fade only once or many times trough the score?
    Marcelo Colina

This might not sound as realistic as using cresc patches, but you could assign the patch to a high-pass filter controllable by a midi cc and automate. Or you can automate the volume controls in your sampler for the particular instrument. Or you could automate the gain on the channel strip. Or in multichannel mode, you could send it to a bus and automate. Or in apps that have "gain" plugins, use that and automate. Or you could use an EQ and automate that...

ok, I'm running out of ideas.

If I want some volume control quickly, in my EXS sampler I assign "volume" control to "pitch bend." With a simple bend of the pitch bend, the sample fades in and out. Now its not the most "realistic" way to do it (multiple filters are better) but it works fine in a pinch, especially in an ensemble context. If you use EXS, I can walk you though setting this up.

The DEF in Gigastudio is meant to do just this sort of thing if you have Giga.

Quote Originally Posted by marce
    What library are you using?
    Do you want to use the fade only once or many times trough the score?
    project sam brass, westgate modular series ..it's very difficult to obtain a soft crescendo / decrescendo with them

I think that some libraries, which don't work with expression midi control cc11, can work with cc1 (equivalent to ModWheel). Don't know though if this is the case for your sample libraries.

Best regards.

Go Back to forum