• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: In Need of Sound Effects Help

In Need of Sound Effects Help

One of the projects on my To Do list as I prepare to go into production of my musical "Dorian-The Remarkable Mister Gray," is to put together the sound effects plot.

Besides the almost continuous music I've composed and recorded for the show, there are a number of sounds that need to be cued independently of the music. We use a computer at the theatre and are able to layer as many cues on top of each other as we need.

The difficulty is that even though I have quite a few collections of sound effects here in my home studio, I'm not happy with the quality of most of them. In particular, I need outstanding thunderstorms for the "dark and stormy night" scenes. Run-of-the-mill thunder rolls and claps never reach the big cinematic sound I'd like, regardless of the processing I try using to oomph them up.

I'm aware of Sound Dogs online, and that's one potential source. Budget is limited for all areas of the show, so I'm needing to put the minimum amount of money into these sound effects also.

Are there any folks here who would be able to help me out--perhaps with top-notch SFX already on hand in your studios?

Randy B.

Re: In Need of Sound Effects Help

Try www.soundsnap.com . It's totally free, and although quality is not THAT great in most times, you can find some diamonds in there...

Also http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/ is totally free as well (but with Creative Commons limitations at some points), and... well...
    choice is yours

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Thank you, Nikolas - I'm already looking through what you posted, could be some useful things there. I appreciate it.

Randy B.

oops - Hi, Gunther - You were posting at the same time I was thanking Nikolas. Great - I'll take a look at your links too. Thanks much!

Randy B.

Hi Randy,
    There's a bunch of thunder and lightning here. Not free, but cheaper than Sounddogs.

Hi Randy,

I'll second the Freesound Project. It has a huge number of samples submitted by the users/members. The quality will vary greatly but the amount of sounds is overwhelming and there just might be something that you are after. The sounds are CC licensed so you might have to look into that aspect of things. It's a great resource and visiting it just might be fruitful.

I think that you need to sign up in order to download and I have registered and not seen any bad things (like spam or their own advertising emails) that came of it, so I would recommend that you give it a try.

Good luck.

Best regards,

Little Red King

Hi Randy,

I have been using for quite some time the program 'FindSounds Palette'. You can search the web for any word, and you can also get the sound (if there are) in different pitches.
    I see they have now a special price of $19.99.

Here's the link:

Pingu, Little Red King and Sunbird - Thanks so much for the links.

It's occurring to me that what I'm most concerned about is how big the project is of mounting the sound effects plot. It's never a matter of just grabbing a recording and playing it as-is. I've done quite a lot of sound designing for theatre, and it's always time-consuming. Taking the raw SFX files and shaping them into their best sound, with the needed lengths, processing, panning etc - It's a lot.

Maybe someone who catches this thread will be someone who is handy at sound effects plots and is itching for a project!

I'll probably need to do the work myself, auditioning sounds (huge time that alone can take) - editing, processing etc - It could easily fill up my days for a month, something I can't afford to do, really.

Well - The sites on this thread look promising, thanks again to all!

Randy B.

This may be a long shot and I did not try it for myself:

There is this guy who won this years KVR developer challenge and made some synths which mimic various nature sounds by physical modelling. And they are free.

Maybe you can get usable results from them? Link
    Greetings from Vienna!
    My website: Above the staff.net

Go Back to forum