• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO for iPhone?

Share/Bookmark

GPO for iPhone?

Dear Gary!

I just bought my iPhone and I was wondering if you will be porting your wonderful GPO library to the iPhone web-based-developer-platform?

It's not so long ago since NI caused lots of trouble with scripting error and delayed your products for quite a while. This time things would be way easier, since the script would be Javascript, so we could fix it ourselves.

P.S. using PHP in GPO for iPhone would make it a really powerful package. I'd really like to see the power of MySQL harnessed in this version of GPO. Since it's a phone running OSX, MySql and PHP come preinstalled.

Kind regards,
    your dearest fan Juhana (now with an iPhone)

Re: GPO for iPhone?

To my dearest fan Juhana??!! ,

I am replying to you via my iPhone.

Javascript doesn't seem to be working on the iPhone as I could not access the chat today from it. Maybe it will be implemented in the future.

This is something we can look into. Technology is taking some very interesting turns.

These iPhone earbuds have to go.

Best from your fanatical sample provider ,

Gary

PHP and MySQL are not available on the iPhone as they are server-side software and would have no use being on the iPhone. Although it is possible to communicate with an *AMP server using AJAX, it would not be worthwhile with the systems built into the phone (they can get rather slow).

JavaScript is powerful if you know what you are doing, but it isn't powerful enough (yet) to run a sample engine on the iPhone. There is an HTML element called Canvas that has been introduced that I'm pretty certain does work on the iPhone, but I doubt it will run quick enough to be useful for music composition. JavaScript can utilize Canvas, but it will run slow due to the lack of compilation and the slow speeds of the iPhone.

Also, finally, one must look into at the hardware and system itself. The iPhone is a handheld device, and a pretty well targeted one at that. The iPhone's intent was to be used as an iPod, cell phone, internet communicator, and personal organizer. These processes all require little processing power so Apple made the iPhone only powerful enough to handle what it intended to put on it. Apple did not intend the device to be used for creating music or video, so the iPhone would have a lot of trouble working with music and would run it very slowly. This limitation in hardware makes it rather tough to implement web-based applications for heavy processing as the application has to go through many layers of the system (The JavaScript interpreter, browser, application layer, OS layer, hardware layer) to reach the audio devices and would be tremendously impeded by the number of layers involved.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Javascript doesn't seem to be working on the iPhone as I could not access the chat today from it. Maybe it will be implemented in the future.
    JavaScript does work on the iPhone. Java, however, doesn't. Since Java doesn't run on the iPhone, I don't think JIT will either.
    Colton J. Provias
    Full-stack Web Developer

Quote Originally Posted by C J Pro
    JavaScript does work on the iPhone. Java, however, doesn't. Since Java doesn't run on the iPhone, I don't think JIT will either.
    Right, forum uses a Java client. Flash is also not working on the iPhone.

same thing on the ipod touch. its annoying. i don't know if apple disabled it or it just doesn't work yet? funny note about the ipod touch and iphone - the only website that seems to not work on them is apples dotmac page. go figure.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Dear Gary,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Since my iPhone now packs unbelievable 8gigs of memory, I can't even dare to imagine how many multi-giga-sample-libraries would fit there. (if it's 2-gigs, then 4, but if it's 4 gigs, then only 2)

I'm eagerly looking forward for the javascript based GPO Advanced for iPhone (with PHP realtime-convolution-reverb and MySQL-based ARIA-engine) to blow my mind. I'm sure you have also considered to use the accelorometers (can't spell it, sorry) to create vibrato.

I'm willing to share these innovative ideas for free so that the future of sampling could be brighter. Hoping to see some results in a while!

Kindest regards,
    your fan Juhana (who hasn't yet been able to activate his iPhone)

Quote Originally Posted by karvasika
    Since my iPhone now packs unbelievable 8gigs of memory, I can't even dare to imagine how many multi-giga-sample-libraries would fit there. (if it's 2-gigs, then 4, but if it's 4 gigs, then only 2)
    Sample libraries are large. It's not just the Flash memory size of the iPhone (which yours is 8 GB). The main concern would have to be in RAM, which, if I recall, has about 192 MB of RAM. The software running claims the RAM, thus leaving only a small amount left to store samples. Although, a Flash memory chip is supposed to be quick to access, the samples are still loaded into RAM at some point.

I'm eagerly looking forward for the javascript based GPO Advanced for iPhone (with PHP realtime-convolution-reverb and MySQL-based ARIA-engine) to blow my mind. I'm sure you have also considered to use the accelorometers (can't spell it, sorry) to create vibrato.
    JavaScript is a slow language due to it needing to be interpreted by the web browser. There is a program under development called JIT (Just-in-Time) that will include a compiler and a runtime application. Unfortunately, whereas this means increased speed for JavaScript, it will most likely never see the iPhone.

PHP and real-time should not be used in the same sentence, unless everything is being run on the same computer. PHP is run over the internet, which is far from instantaneous. PHP may run quickly, although it is still interpretted, yet transferring the request and response over the internet takes some time, depending on bandwidth. This can range from about 10 milliseconds to hours (it was a rather long page, ok?).

Basing the ARIA Engine on MySQL would be a poor idea. First, you would have to transfer the samples over the internet from a MySQL server. If you were to load it into RAM, you would be fine. However, JavaScript has restrictions along with the iPhone's restrictions in hardware that stops one from accessing the RAM.

I do, however, like your idea for vibrato control. It's a rather unique idea I have not heard about. Of course, the iPhone has its restrictions, but other devices can by used instead. Have you ever heard of the Wiimote? It's bluetooth, if I recall.
    Colton J. Provias
    Full-stack Web Developer

Hi CJ!

I'm actually just making fun of the whole matter, I'm a web-programmer myself too. But still, thanks for your technical aspect of the matter. It's good to make it clear for Gary's programmers, that they shouldn't develop it any further.

Yea I have Wii at home. I actually saw some videos of Wii-jaying (Wii+DJ). They scratched with Wii-motes... kinda cool-looking.

It's good to make it clear for Gary's programmers, that they shouldn't develop it any further.
    Darn, we just got it working on the iPhone but if you insist we won't develop it further...

Gary

Go Back to forum