• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: I ordered Finale 2008

Share/Bookmark

I ordered Finale 2008

Long time no see.

I have pushed out my first piano trio from the door (for which I dedicated January to October 2007, no specific plan for performance though) and my computer is now ready for any software upgrade (all the crashes welcome .)

First, I decided to upgrade my Finale from 2005 to 2008. (Finale 2008 demo running fine on the computer.) It has been a long pending issue so at last I will be able to clear all the drawbacks in 2005.

Then, I wish to add Strad and Gofriller but maybe my machine is not powerful enough to drive them (Pen 4 2.2 GHz/2GB Ram/Win XP)

By the way, Strad and Gofriller can run as VST plug-in with Finale?

Any suggestions, advices will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Re: I ordered Finale 2008

Hello Jun and welcome back.

Congratulations on completing your piano trio.

You made a good choice with Finale 2008; I have that and I'm getting on great with it.

Regarding your computer spec. I think it will be OK although I don't have the Strad or Gofriller. I'm sure the required specs are listed somewhere on the site. I'll hunt around later to see if I can find them.

In the meantime I'm sure that members using the Strad and Gofriller will chip in.

Regarding Finale VST. Finale does support Kontakt Player VST but it doesn't yet support full VST (unfortunately) .. maybe next version. I would imagine that the Strad and Gofriller will work in Finale although I can't say if they are supported in the Finale Setup Wizard. Again, perhaps someone who is using all three will reply.

Hope this is of some help and good luck.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk
    Regarding your computer spec. I think it will be OK although I don't have the Strad or Gofriller. I'm sure the required specs are listed somewhere on the site. I'll hunt around later to see if I can find them.
    Thank you, Michael for your kind comment.

I know there is a required/recommended spec for Strad and Gofriller and I think my machine could run one of them at a time but maybe it would be too tough to run piano trio on the fly.

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Hi:
    Finale doesn't tell the whole truth about the system requirements needed to make full use of Garritan libraries. I built up my own system as follows.
    D975xbx2 motherboard with d975 chipset (side buss at 1066)
    4 gig. ram (ddr2)
    500 mb hd
    intel x6800 processor running at 3.10 ghz
    Armour va800b case
    zalman processor fan (cnps9700 cpu cooler)
    new dvd
    new 3 1/2 drive
    The above mess caused me to spend about $1500. usd and seems to run everything I need (finale 2008, cubase sx, gpo, concert and marching band and various other pgms.
    I use my old 21 inch. rgb monitor and cheap (boston) computor speakers.
    Best of luck
    John

John, thank you for the information.

Your 3.1GHz chip and 4GB RAM seem to give you a lot of room for the sample playing.

I am curious what OS you are using. Win Vista?
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

I also bought Finale2008 recently and the Strad works perfectly fine on my one year old machine, although one doesn't have a lot of control over it in Finale. I don't have Gofriller, but I would imagine it works very similar to the Strad.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Jun,

I would also recommend getting the Strad & Gofriller. if you run into any problems with cpu overload on your computer, there are ways of dealing with that problem in Finale.

After you have 2008 installed, make sure your check back with the Finale website periodically. They usually come out with a maintenenace update during the last quarter of the year that fixes some bugs.

FWIW, last year Gary had a group buy in December. If he has that again, you'll be able to pick up both libraries at a discount.

Jeff

Thank you, LouisD, it is a good news. Depending how far I can control Strad from Finale, I should decide which process of composition will be dealt with in Finale and which in Sonar (in my case).

# By the way, what do your avatar chinese characters mean?

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Thank you, Jeff, I will surely do so.

I am watching the makemusic forum also and came to know that Finale 2008 has an apparent bug in setting triplet with control-3 in "speedy edit". I hope, with others, such bug should be fixed in an earlier update.
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Jun Yamamoto

# By the way, what do your avatar chinese characters mean?
    I've been living in Taiwan for so long, and over the years I've managed to learn to read and speak Chinese relatively well... by NO means fluently, but satisfactorily, it is a very difficult language. I have a lot of Japanese friends here who seem to have much less trouble learning Chinese....

The words in my avatar simply say "composing a fugue", but I ran the words through an online translator and the first three characters (賦格曲) also translate into something in Japanese.....
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Go Back to forum