• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: a beggar's dance (classical ensemble)

a beggar's dance (classical ensemble)

I was very much inspired by a great rendering by garybric on a grieg piece 'anitras dance'. This is my impression of the style of the song. Please listen and comment.

UPDATE: 11-10-07: I have redone the reverb on this.

Re: a beggar's dance (classical ensemble)

--! Beautiful work, Jay!

Grieg (he's so great, I just have to use the proper capital letter for his name ) is certainly a great source of inspiration. Very cool that Gary Bric's superb work with "Anitra's Dance" got your gears turning.

I'd say that this is a heavier, more somber piece than Grieg, so I would say that's one of the big differences in the style. Certainly is a well done piece though, impressive.

Saraha dry though - ! What happened to your reverb?

Randy B.

Hey Randy. I was trying out a new reverb, and it just is not cutting it. I went back to the old reverb that I was using. Thanks for the comment.

Just last night I went and saw Grieg's Piano concerto. What a genious the man was. Peer Gynt has allways been one of my favorite pieces.

If you wish to compose in the style of a great one, you can't beat Grieg.

Nice piece.

Well done

Yes! Most interesting and satisfying piece, Jay;
    especially the subtle way you managed the
    rhytmic impetus in this... that was exceptionally
    well done.

I might possibly take this a little quicker? Tempo's
    always very subjective, of course. But this has such
    great moves riding under the hood, I think it could
    take on a little more speed and like it.

My best,

Hello, Jay

AH yes--I just listened to the new mix. Much more satisfying - the instruments can breathe better now.

I sent you a PM on that reverb topic, not wanting to bog down your thread - Did you get it? - If not, I was asking how a new reverb could make something so drastically drier than usual. It's not the character of a reverb which controls wet/dry proportions, it's where the settings are turned on it. Perhaps you tried out a particularly small and dry preset on it. My point in that message was that the new reverb probably shouldn't be blamed, since they're all pretty much the same - they just vary widely in quality of sound.

Glad you re-did this. David "Et Lux"s comment about a faster tempo was interesting--might be worth an experiment also?

Randy B.

Unusual but delightful chordal progressions, Mr. Jay. I enjoyed your tonal colors also. Nice writing job. Thank you for sharing this professional production with us.

Best regards,

Larry G. Alexander

This is a very beautiful piece from you again. Your recordings always sound so fantastic, the sound is wonderful. I thoroughly enjoyed this one of yours Thank you !
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

No fully Jaynkate and how, great choice of instruments.
    And tell Randy that the Sahara isn't dry at all......

Great piece!!!

Thanks Ron. Grieg has always been one of my favorites. I know that my piece is not really a whole lot in his style, but the sound of 'Anitras dance' got me going on an idea and I wanted to try and develop it. Thanks for listening.

Hey David. Thanks for listening and commenting. I was trying to keep the piece in a dance kind of tempo. It probably could use a little more gas to the pedal. I am glad that you liked it.

Randy, the mix is better now with the adjusted reverb. I have done this a couple of times before, where I posted something without giving it the proper final listen to make sure everything was as it should be. I don't plan to do that again. Thanks a bunch.

Thanks Larry. I hope the harmonic movement wasn't too unusual. I was trying for a certain sound, but the last thing I want to do is get something so unusual that it is not enjoyable to listen to. You did say that you liked this though and I do appreciate your commenting.

Louisd, I thank you for listening. I am pleased that this sounded good to you.

Hey Raymond. I was trying a combination of flute, oboe, clarinet, french horn, cello, bassoon and double bass. I am still trying to learn how to use this
    type of instrument combination. Anyway, I am glad that you liked it.

-Thank you all. -Jay

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast