• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Interesting Dept: DaVinci Musical Painting?

Share/Bookmark

Interesting Dept: DaVinci Musical Painting?

According to Discovery:
    A real da Vinci code is indeed hidden within Leonardo's "The Last Supper"... But rather than conspiracy theories, the new code points to a hidden musical score...

Indeed, Leonardo was an accomplished lyre player who also enjoyed hiding puzzles in his work.
    Pala, who will publish his findings next week in the book "La Musica Celata" (which translates to "The Hidden Music") claims to have discovered nothing less than a sacred hymn and text, along with mystic symbols in da Vinci's degraded masterpiece.

Does someone want to try playing this piece? Maybe Tony could do a mockup on his banjo

This may make a good competition.

Re: Interesting Dept: DaVinci Musical Painting?

Someone can do it on a mandolin!

So interesting!

I went to the Discovery News page, and then followed a link in the story where the world's most detailed digital photo ever is posted--INCREDIBLE--you gotta go there:

http://www.haltadefinizione.com/en/cenacolo/look.asp

Under the window displaying "The Last Supper," with the zoom controls in combination with the directional arrows, one can get a crystal clear view of every square inch of the painting, just as if you were inches from the real thing. Amazing!

EDIT UPDATE: After writing this, I realized there's a more accurate way to navigate around the surface of the mural. In the upper right hand corner, on the image of the entire painting, there's a red circle indicating where you currently are. You can grab that and move it to where you want to look, rather than navigating more blindly with the control arrows - those are best for fine tuning your selection.

As for how to play music from what's included in the story, there isn't enough detail - ya gotta buy the guy's book.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Here's another picture from CNN with staff lines:

Smile Re: Interesting Dept: DaVinci Musical Painting?

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Here's another picture from CNN with staff lines:

That the part i needed to go forward, i think i can get it into Finale now.
    It says on the Discovery link, "to be read from right to left, in line with Leonardo's writing." That's going to take some getting used to that!

Greedy Raider and Associates LLC

RE:..............Copyright infringement of works now owned by Universal Owners AG

Dr. Mr. Garritan....

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    Greedy Raider and Associates LLC

RE:..............Copyright infringement of works now owned by Universal Owners AG

Dr. Mr. Garritan....
    Please have Mr. DaVinci's lawyers contact my lawyers - Dewey, Takem and Howe.

--

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    That the part i needed to go forward, i think i can get it into Finale now.
    It says on the Discovery link, "to be read from right to left, in line with Leonardo's writing." That's going to take some getting used to that!
    Leaf,

Reading right to left should be no problem. Just use both sides of your brain. I do it all the time. In the left side there is nothing right; and in the right there is nothing left.

So how do we perform the music? There are no clefs, time signatures, tempo markings, key signatures, bar lines, stems and flags for the notes, etc.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Quote Originally Posted by C J Pro
    So how do we perform the music? There are no clefs, time signatures, tempo markings, key signatures, bar lines, stems and flags for the notes, etc.
    The pic Gary posted has a FA above the staff and a MI below it. If these are the top and bottom lines, then it would seem to be treble clef. The article said the Apostles in groups of three indicate 3/4 time.

The rest is apparently described in this guy's book. How's your Italian?

Go Back to forum