• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Robot Aquarium

Share/Bookmark

The Robot Aquarium

This piece started as a trio for flute, harpsichord and cello as an experiment with the melodic major scale but expanded to test out more of the Garritan instruments. It features a harpsichord with a small orchestra.

The theme is science-fiction adventure. It depicts an underwater ride in a robot sub inside a huge aquarium of the far future where live off-world creatures are inhabiting a re-creations of their strange native seas. The scales used are the melodic major (in C and F) and whole tone (in the middle section) to create a mysterious fantasy mood.

The mp3 is here

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Euler; 11-11-2007 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Fix ambience setting to something reasonable

Re: The Robot Aquarium

Herb

Great to see you made it here. NIce way to introduce yourself to the community as well.

This is the weekend and it is usually a little slow in here, so give it some time and people will get to your piece.

Nice little piece and good to see you are back to composing.

Well done

Ron

Hi, Euler

Welcome to The Listening Room!

What an unusual and I think very fun romp this piece is==Full of quirky, interesting passages. And you're using the Garritan instruments well. I could wish for a bit more reverb, because it's sounding a bit suffocating in its closeness to me, it's lack of ambience.

But--Nice-Thanks for the really nice surprise!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    What an unusual and I think very fun romp this piece is==Full of quirky, interesting passages. And you're using the Garritan instruments well. I could wish for a bit more reverb, because it's sounding a bit suffocating in its closeness to me, it's lack of ambience.
    Thanks for the comment. Well, I guess I am a reverb-challenged person but both you and Ron (from previous comments) seem to agree that I'm not using enough. Okay, I can use more for the final production mp3's although I like not much when checking for errors in part leading etc. as reverb tends to mask faults.

Unique, quirky, unusual in both conception and execution,
    Euler.

That is, I rather liked this... lol - especially after a few
    more listens to better get the gist of it.

On the rendering, I did find this felt somehow closed in
    (not enough diffusion?). It's not that there isn't enough
    reverb on it; but to my ear it sounds a bit muffled. Give
    this a little more space, and I think it will really shine
    up nicely!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hello again, Euler

I hope you do see the main point of my reply, which is that I really like this unusual piece of yours.

As for the use of reverb - There's an irony here you don't know since you're new to the Forum: I have a strong preference for a conservative use of reverb. In the original recordings for the songs in my show (my big current project) - I was busted over and over for not giving the instruments enough breathing room with reverb.

At the Cakewalk Forum where I was getting a lot of good technical help, I kept inching up the controls and re-posting - it took several mixes until the more experienced people said "AAah, now that sounds good."

More often when doing instrumental work, people will tend to go way over board, making their recordings sound like they're recorded in a gigantic and empty airplane hangar. People using notation especially tend to have that problem because they'll strap an unedited reverb preset on their work, thinking that makes reverb--not realizing they're using a 100% wet setting.

It's interesting the way different people like to work. DAW users tend to want to hear some reverb as they work since it sounds more like performing, and it can help them get into playing their instruments. Others tend to want to leave things dry for precisely the reasons you stated - to clearly be able to hear and check on the technical aspects of the notes.

One thing you said concerned me and it brings up another personal crusade of mine:

"...I can use more for the final production mp3's although..."

#1, Definitely use more since you should be getting from this feedback that we feel the life and reality of your instruments is jeopardized without more ambience.

But #2 is my other big concern - Your "final production," by which you mean your master file, - that can't be an MP3. It has to be a .wav or .aiff file, depending on your platform. As high quality an audio file as possible. Then for sharing the music online etc you make your MP3s from that.

As I told someone else here recently, going straight to MP3 and only saving that would be like scanning and printing a painting and keeping that copy instead of the original piece of art. MP3s can sound just fine, but they aren't what you want to archive as The master of your work. They're compressed, with much of the audio data just tossed out.

Carry on!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Euler. This is a different kind of piece. The whole tone scale was a nice touch. I enjoyed it. Welcome to the forum.
    -Jay

Nice piece. But it sounded really like it was recorded "under water" . A bit dull sounds. You MUST work this out a bit better. The sound I mean. This piece is worth it!!!

Raymond

Thumbs up Re: The Robot Aquarium

Welcome Euler!

Well the not enough reverb is already well covered so i'll not go there.

I liked this alot and i don't even like harpsichord very much. You gave it something different and interesting to do and i guess that's just what it needed. Sounded very much like the off the wall underwater adventure for robots. Very nice and inventive piece you have here, i look forward to hearing more of your work.

David

Welcome, Euler, and congratulations on an impressively-done first offering here!

My only slight critique would be that -- at times -- the harpsichord level is just a bit high. It seemed to cover some very interesting things happening below it. As for the reverb issue: well, maybe a tad more? But that can be much of a personal preference issue, to be sure.

This is a very invitingly quirky, imaginitive piece! I enjoyed listening very much.

Thanks for posting this for us.

Danny

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast