• Register
  • Help

Topic: My new strings on an opening credits cue

Share/Bookmark

My new strings on an opening credits cue

Hi,

I am using my own blend of VSL Appassionata strings, Garritan Orchestral Strings and Kirk Hunter Concert strings now. As a first test for the new setup I used this mix for the opening credit cue of a film that is finished now and ready for release.

The atmosphere was supposed to be dark, brooding and also a little depressive. I wondered whether my new strings mix would be able to give me enough nuances for many slightly variated repetitions of the same motif and I think they did a very good job that I wanted to share:

EDIT: Link temporarily disabled for rework, sorry.

http://www.frischat.com/compose/POF_...Credits_03.mp3

As always, comments are welcome, even and especially critical ones.

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Thumbs up Re: My new strings on an opening credits cue

Very nice Hannes. I'm on a laptop and not currently connected to external speakers that would allow me to really hear this well, but on here it certainly sounds effective.

The places where the cello solos a bit is sounding really good too, but it would be nice to hear that player take off and run with it more. Of course i don't mean some vituoso or overly flamboyant, but just bigger and wider in that instrument's range. But that could just be my love of cello speaking.

Raymond just posted a link to free eq he says is well suited for strings, maybe this tool would help to improve it even more...
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=57128
    although with these speakers, i really cannot tell if it needs any improving.
    He wrote: "Great on violins and violas!!!!"

David

Re: My new strings on an opening credits cue

Leaf,

thank you for listening and commenting. I am thinking the same as you regarding the celli and basses while listening on laptop speakers, so I am always tempted to do a special multimedia mix with much more basses. However that would boost them overly while listening with good speakers ... one of the many open questions about mastering for me.

Nevertheless I would appreciate your opinion after listening to it on speakers.

Raymonds EQ is already in there, did a small correction on the strings.

Best
    Hannes

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    Leaf,

thank you for listening and commenting. I am thinking the same as you regarding the celli and basses while listening on laptop speakers, so I am always tempted to do a special multimedia mix with much more basses. However that would boost them overly while listening with good speakers ... one of the many open questions about mastering for me.

Nevertheless I would appreciate your opinion after listening to it on speakers.

Raymonds EQ is already in there, did a small correction on the strings.

Best
    Hannes
    Oops, crazy me, i see now you already knew about that eq, the first one to post in his thread.

Later this evening, i'll be where i can listen with better speakes, and i'll post.

Strikes me as a very effective openning cue. One can feel the tension there and perhaps a little bit of depressive feels as well.

Perhaps it is a bit limited. I know that you raise the pitch of the motif a few times in the. I wonder if it might be a little less redundant if you either raise the pitch of the motif more than just twice (if I sense just two times), or if you add something in terms of an answering motif halfway through. That is, keep the same entrances of the falling motif and have it answered by another motif, perhaps in the horns, or something else. Just a minor suggestion... you have a fine openning and it really does work as it is.

David Young

Very very nice!

Not exactly sure if the setup will work with other types of music (other patterns, etc I mean), but it is certainly very effective in this case! And gives me great ideas for myself as well, Hannes! THANKS!

Red face Re: My new strings on an opening credits cue

Sorry i didn't make it back yesterday, Hannes. It looks like it is not there anymore.>>

Error 404 - Not found

Die angegebene Seite konnte nicht gefunden werden.

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    Sorry i didn't make it back yesterday, Hannes. It looks like it is not there anymore.>>

Error 404 - Not found

Die angegebene Seite konnte nicht gefunden werden.
    Same here...

Friends,

thank you all - after finishing this I listened around a little to similar cues and found I should do my mix much better. Therefore I decided to withdraw my link and do a rework with fresh ears. Unfortunately I have been out of town for some days so I need some more time with this.

Hannes

Go Back to forum