• Register
  • Help

Topic: Keyboards and Sequencers

Share/Bookmark

Keyboards and Sequencers

Okay, I have two questions. I'm still using notation programs right now, so bare with me.

1 - I have a yamaha keyboard without a mod wheel and only a pitch bend wheel and a sustain pedal. Is there some way to get either Sibelius or Finale to recognize something else to control volume for GPO?

2 - What's a good (and low priced) sequencer for Windows to start out with? I know nothing about sequencing except for messing around in Garage Band on one the the computers at my school.
    Anthony Abruscato

"There are only two types of music: Love Songs and Pirate Music"

HP Pavillion dv6171cl w/ Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, 2 GB Ram, 250 GB 5200 RPM HD + an external 300 GB HD. GPO, JABB, CAMB, Sibelius 5.1, Finale 2008a, and a demo copy of FL studio.

Re: Keyboards and Sequencers

Quote Originally Posted by raz.bari.88
    Okay, I have two questions. I'm still using notation programs right now, so bare with me.

1 - I have a yamaha keyboard without a mod wheel and only a pitch bend wheel and a sustain pedal. Is there some way to get either Sibelius or Finale to recognize something else to control volume for GPO?

2 - What's a good (and low priced) sequencer for Windows to start out with? I know nothing about sequencing except for messing around in Garage Band on one the the computers at my school.
    1. Yes. If you're on PC check out Controlta on Markleford's page. You could also use MIDI-OX to remap your pitch wheel. On Mac there's a utility called MIDI Pipe that does the job of remapping, I believe. Pitch bend operates on a different set of parameters than modwheel, but these utilities may be able to handle the conversion.

2. For Windows I highly recommend Cakewalk stuff, like Home Studio 6 or Music Creator. (I'm also highly biased towards that angle.) Check out also Reaper (uncrippled shareware), Cubase's Studio or Sequence, or n-trax Studio. If there are demos available, download them and see what workflow you like best.

Best,
    Reegs

Go Back to forum