• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: The North Pole

Share/Bookmark

Talking The North Pole

Every time this year, I write a few original songs for my wife's elementary school Christmas program. This is my favorite, most satisfying outlet for writing -- watching kids sing what you've created for them is an awesome experience (and they never send you a rejection letter)!

The instruction I received Friday night for this one was "something really peppy, Sweethheart, with elves singing about making toys". Soooo... Saturday afternoon was writing time, and I slapped on a quick demo vocal this morning (Sunday) to help the kids learn the song. They start learning it tomorrow.

This is the song that opens and closes the show (they're only 15-20 minutes long). These are just third-graders, so you'll notice there is ONE verse and ONE chorus (twice through), and a repeating "out phrase" to end it. The songs in general have to be very short and simple, because my wife has just a few rehearsals with her classes before the performance -- with about five or six songs to learn.

GPO: horn section, trombone section, solo trumpet, timpani, harp, chimes, sleigh bells, timpani, piano, and full pipe organ.
    JABB: two tenor saxes, bari sax, trombone, three trumpets, drum set (combined with a sliced up drum loop). I used a Dreamstation bass, which I may or may not change later.

Just a note: I combine two JABB trumpets -- one detuned to.02, the other to.06 -- for a lot of the upper range lead trumpet stuff.

PLEASE IGNORE the voice of the old guy singing!!! I'm going to try to record the vocals with the kids later on, and post the result if it turns out OK.

Thanks for listening... Christmas is coming!! The North Pole Song: http://www.dannywilliamsmusic.com/NorthPoleSong.mp3

Danny

Re: The North Pole

Danny

This is GREAT!!!!

You gotta post the lyrics to this as well.

I bet these kids will have a blast with this one.

This is just a Saturday afternoon? So how long did this take?

Lucky kids

Well done

Ron

What neat little song! It's definitely "peppy", and I can just picture a bunch of little kids singing this and really getting into it!
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Danny,

Hey this is way cool I am can just about see a group of third graders getting in this seriously. Bet they end up jumping around on the stage as they sing it. They are lucky to get a musical gift like this!!!

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    Danny

This is GREAT!!!!

You gotta post the lyrics to this as well.

I bet these kids will have a blast with this one.

This is just a Saturday afternoon? So how long did this take?

Lucky kids

Well done

Ron
    Thanks, Ron! Well, "just a Saturday afternoon" doesn't quite cover it; I went well into the evening, about four or five hours in total (plus some thinking ahead of time).

I think the kids will have a good time with it -- but then, they're easily impressed! (The best kind of performers to have!)

Glad you enjoyed listening!

Danny

What a really great zippy song about elves making toys with some very neat instrumentation! The words aren't bad either although they get hidden by the brass in a few places. Bravo.

Quote Originally Posted by fiziwig
    What neat little song! It's definitely "peppy", and I can just picture a bunch of little kids singing this and really getting into it!
    Thanks very much, Gary. Glad you used "peppy"... that was a specific instruction from the "director", you know!

Thanks for listening and commenting!

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBric
    Danny,

Hey this is way cool I am can just about see a group of third graders getting in this seriously. Bet they end up jumping around on the stage as they sing it. They are lucky to get a musical gift like this!!!

Gary

www.garybricault.com
    Thanks very much, Gary! Actually, I feel just as lucky -- more -- to have ready-made performers to do "fun stuff" for. Hope they don't jump around TOO much, though -- my wife works really hard on their choreography!

Danny

Danny:

Absolutely fascinating and what a worthy project. I'll bet
    your wife's students all think you are a magician making all
    those great sounds with a computer.

This kind of project is what we need more of. It is not only
    educational, but entertaining. We never know who we are
    motivating when children hear professional recordings of
    computer music.............It could kickstart a career.

Hats off to ya, Danny.

BRAVO,

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Whoa... lol! Funky rockin'-out, hot hot hot dude, Danny da Man... rofl!

(Is that how you're supposed to say it?)

Loved it! What a great ride, Danny -- the kids are going to absolutely
    bounce off the walls with it. Lot of clean, ingenious arranging under the
    hood of this, too.

The vocals? Hey. I thought they were four aces, Danny. You got real
    style, man... not only that, you sing on key.

That trumpet technique is likewise really effective, if I follow what you're
    doing. I gotta try that one... many thanks for a new trick!

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast