• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Dramatique

Share/Bookmark

Dramatique

Hi Folks

This is a piece that I have had "lying around" for a while. It was sort of finished before but I thought there was something missing, so, I added another section at the end.

There are some interesting changes from 4/4 to 3/4 then back to 4/4. It was interesting working out howto get back to 4/4 without being too obvious. I hope it has worked.

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/stutty

I have positioned the piece as the first piece for easy location

Re: Dramatique

Paul,

In deed you have created and presented a work that it very dramatic. There are some very interesting ideas in it. And the transitions between meteres are as you said, brings out some interesting ideas. I think that you instrumentation is really quite good, even unexpected. There are a few times that the background comes close to overshadowing the foreground. Maybe this is the effect you were after. But on the whole, really nice.

Thanks for sharing it here.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

A very enjoyable and intriguing piece. There definitely are some twists in the instrumentation that add to the drama. There is a place in the first section that I really like where a clever rhythm comes in followed by a surprising change in the instrumentation. In the middle the background develops more melody and then becomes louder for a bit - I think it works. A great piece. Thanks for sharing.

Very dramatically emotional writing, Paul. This, to my
    ear, seemed to have something of a Spanish flavor
    to it.

The time changes worked smoothly, well done; and I
    liked the way some of the percussion (cymbals) was
    used, smoothly elevating climactic points.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hello, Paul

I Always light up when I see you've posted a new post. Those photos of you playing live, whaling on your axe, contrasted to the music we've heard from you here only confirms how intriguing it is, the huge span of music you're into and capable of.

And I was drawn to your new piece also because of the title. Drama is my my main squeeze - as in drama on stage. So I Had to hear what you'd come up with.

The piece lives up to its name. It's full of interesting and dramatic turns.

And I must tell you the main drawback for me as I listened--what kept holding me back from totally going with your recording: The low frequencies are competing terribly and drowning out the main line and thrust of the piece.

It's not just a matter of EQing and good mastering of the mix down - You have too many instruments playing and staying in the lower registers. It drags everything down and muddies the results.

A good experiment would be choosing some of the instruments which are playing down low, and simply shifting them up on octave. It's the middle register which is lacking in the recording - this would move some instruments up into there.

I really wish I could hear this thinned out in the way outlined above, because it's the fundamental arrangement issue which I feel is hurting your work.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hello, Paul

And I must tell you the main drawback for me as I listened--what kept holding me back from totally going with your recording: The low frequencies are competing terribly and drowning out the main line and thrust of the piece.

It's not just a matter of EQing and good mastering of the mix down - You have too many instruments playing and staying in the lower registers. It drags everything down and muddies the results.

A good experiment would be choosing some of the instruments which are playing down low, and simply shifting them up on octave. It's the middle register which is lacking in the recording - this would move some instruments up into there.

I really wish I could hear this thinned out in the way outlined above, because it's the fundamental arrangement issue which I feel is hurting your work.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    First of all thank you to everyone for your encouraging comments

Randy
    That is a GREAT idea ... I knew something was wrong but I just couldn't put my finger (ear?) on it ... one of the advantages of other people listening to a piece. You WILL hear it "thinned out"

I'm going to give that a try

There are some 36 audio tracks in this piece and mixing was a bit of a job lol. This is the fourth mix (so far)

I am ALWAYS open to constructive critisim (why can't I spel? lol) and ALWAYS ready to take new ideas on board

I'd like to take this chance to recommend the ANTRESS VST's they are incredibly easy to use and offer excellent results
    http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/hardware/item.cfm?threadid=4131〈=0

The best bit is ... THEY ARE FREE

Thank you again all

Hi Folks

I've just completed the fifth mix of this piece. I have made the opening section (4/4) more agressive and raised some of the strings an octave (as per Randy's suggestion).

Overall I have made this mix a bit brighter with slightly more compression. In the first section, the strings are quite prominent. This was intentional. I wanted a "spikey" feel to it It all smooths out a bit in the second section (4/4) and tugs at the heart strings a bit.

The third section (in 3/4) is lifted by the brighter sound especially with the choir a bit more forward in the mix. A bit more of a tug on those heart strings

The final section (4/4) is a bit more rousing with the compression bringing out the timpani and percussion more.

I hope you like it

I have left the previous mix as the second track for comparison.

Thank you for your patience

OOPS !!!!!

Before anybody says it ... The punchy strings in the first section are rather over energetic (for energetic read loud lol) I will sack the players concerned and recruit some more sober individuals this evening (I'll reduce the volume hehe)
    Sorry about that.

Hi All
    I have posted the sixth mix of this piece to:

Paul

I have always said that the 6th time is the charm. hehe

I also like the use of the percussion in this. Something that I often have problems with.

The strings going up an octave has helped as well.

Nice piece

Ron

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast