• Register
  • Help

Topic: Logic Pro 8, Kontak Player 2.23 and Memory Usuage

Share/Bookmark

Red face Logic Pro 8, Kontak Player 2.23 and Memory Usuage

Hello -

What type of known memory problems might exist between Logic (Logic 8 in particular) and either Kontakt 2.23 or Kontakt Player 2.23??

If there are known memory usage issues, what can be done to help/fix the situation??

My MacPro set-up: 2.66 GHz Dual-Core X's 2 5 GB RAM, 3 HDD's (one for programs, one for sound libraries and one for audi) and Mac OS X 10.4.10. I have not upgraded to Leopard (but did upgrade to Logic Pro 8). By-in-large, Logic Pro 8 works fine. However, I usually "network" the Logic sequencing projects with Muse Research's Receptor (version B) and/or an aging Dell Precision Workstation 650 using Musiclab's MIDIoverLan CP3. This has proven stable for me. For my most recent project, I decided to see how many instrument plug-ins I can utilize within the Logic Pro 8 program (without benefit of this "network" set-up). For this project, I'm using one instance of MusicLab's RealGuitar and 16 instances of Kontakt Player version 2.23 for a total of 17 instrumental tracks. The instrument libraries used are Garritan's GPO and JABB. With this many individual (not multi) track instances used, the activity monitor is showing high RAM usage. For some of the instruments, I could not use the KS choices (trumpet, trombone) because the extra RAM caused Logic to crash as I mounted more instruments.

I tried adjusting the DFD. Still, there remained high RAM usage and the occasional crash. For some of the crashes, I either got the endless colored spinning wheel or a message basically stating that there was no memory available for the DFD. I am no expert with the advanced workings of Logic and the DFD associated with the Kontakt plug-ins. But I am surprised that using just 17 instrument tracks with this newer Mac Pro computer (with 5 GBs RAM) is causing problems. Sadly, I am not an expert Apple user to be able to tell whether it's the computer or Logic or Kontakt. I suspect, though, its some kind of issue between Kontakt and Logic.

For my audio, I use MOTU's 2408 MK3. For my midi in-put I use M-Audio's Keystation Pro 88. I do not think either one of these devices are causing the apparent memory problems.

By the way. . . before I purchased my newer MacPro computer, I had a similar instrumental set-up using my aging Dell Precision 650 workstation with 2 GB of RAM using Steinberg's SX 3 program. I used the same GPO and JABB sound libraries. It did "challange" the Dell computer (I had to adjust buffer/latency settings to MOTU's 828 MK2 used with the Dell computer), but the computer didn't crash like what I'm experiencing at present.

I don't mind "networking" my computers together in order to use larger instrumental plug-in tracks. But I would think that given the "power" of my newer MacPro I should be able to handle more than 17 GPO & JABB tracks. Yes? No? I really do not know.

Given my current computer set-up, how many instrumental tracks (using libraries associated with Kontakt or the Kontakt Player) should I get??

Thank you in advance.

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Re: Logic Pro 8, Kontak Player 2.23 and Memory Usuage

Hi Ted, sounds like a nice setup you have there, however Im sorry to say it sounds like you're having the same porblems as many others (including myself). Are you loading up 26 kontakt players or one player with 16 instruments in? Just wanted to clarify.

I get all sorts of errors on my new macbook pro with 4Gb Ram and logic 8. I have "cpu overload" when i press play at the start of a project (or if Ive just added more parts without actually triggering the notes to "wake upp" the instrument), I get "cant synchronize audio" if I play say 4 instruments at once (realtime-i.e. me pressing a note) EVEN if i have no audio! (bizare). Often it is the case that one of my processor cores is max-ing out, while the other is not being used at all, however after awhile, it seems to organise itself and even out the processing required to both...

Ive also had very random crashes and "mac must restart" screens, even when doing very little.

Strangely tho, Myeself and friends have run massive projects with no problems whatsoever (and they all have brand new macbookpros too), so I think its just Logic being buggy at the moment. I really hope they update it soon... I was on Cubase SX3 before this, and to be honest I think its a much better program for midi, and the way it handles kontakt player! (you will find in logic there is no way of controlling volume of individual KP2 instruments, unlike Cubase which did it easily!)

Sorry to be so gloomy!

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by BenNichols
    Hi Ted, sounds like a nice setup you have there, however Im sorry to say it sounds like you're having the same porblems as many others (including myself). Are you loading up 26 kontakt players or one player with 16 instruments in? Just wanted to clarify.

I get all sorts of errors on my new macbook pro with 4Gb Ram and logic 8. I have "cpu overload" when i press play at the start of a project (or if Ive just added more parts without actually triggering the notes to "wake upp" the instrument), I get "cant synchronize audio" if I play say 4 instruments at once (realtime-i.e. me pressing a note) EVEN if i have no audio! (bizare). Often it is the case that one of my processor cores is max-ing out, while the other is not being used at all, however after awhile, it seems to organise itself and even out the processing required to both...

Ive also had very random crashes and "mac must restart" screens, even when doing very little.

Strangely tho, Myeself and friends have run massive projects with no problems whatsoever (and they all have brand new macbookpros too), so I think its just Logic being buggy at the moment. I really hope they update it soon... I was on Cubase SX3 before this, and to be honest I think its a much better program for midi, and the way it handles kontakt player! (you will find in logic there is no way of controlling volume of individual KP2 instruments, unlike Cubase which did it easily!)

Sorry to be so gloomy!

Ben
    Hi Ben -

Thank you for the quick reply! WOW!

I'm loading up Kontakt Player 17 individual times. I might try one player with 16 instruments, though. Maybe that will use less RAM???

I still have Logic 7. I might try that version to see if it "plays better" with Kontakt Player and the full version of Kontakt. I night have to resort back to my "network" set-up rather than rely on Logic to handle all of these instruments by itself. I just don't have lots of spare time to experiment, unfortunately.

By the way. . . I believe that you can control Panning and Volume within both Kontakt and Kontakt Player. I am able to do this using the Midi Automation found under the Auto tab of either software program. It is a very cool. How it works. . . I active Midi Automation (from the Auto tab) and twist a knob on my keyboard controller (the Keystation Pro 88 has LOTS of turning knobs and faders! LOL!). The Kontakt player recognizes the CC controler used associated with the knob. Once you figure out which CC controller was actived, you click on that controller number with the mouse and drag it to whatever you want to control (volume, panning, etc.).

My apologies if you already know that this feature exists. But if this new information, I hope you find it helpful.

Thank you!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Ben - i have logic pro 8 and previously had logic express 7. for the most part i like them, but you are not alone on the "overload" problem. from what i've read on other forums that is a glitch in logic and i guess it hasn't been fixed. when you load a project for some reason it doesn't actually load the instruments or something, and they have to be played for logic to actually load them or something of that sort. so when you initially play something you'll get that error message for every couple of new instruments that are introduced but it eventually goes away. i heard that a way to stop that is to play a note or two on all the instruments when its first loaded, but i feel like that would take way too much time.

on another note, i have a macbook pro with only 2 gigs of memory, and on the current project i have at least 13 players, most of which are kontakt player 2, which total to about 40 instruments (this includes 2 strads and one gofriller) and it runs fine. the only place where i've seen slow downs is with all the plug-ins. i have at least 7 different space designers, a compressor, spreader, separate eq's for each player, and only occasionally do i see problems. the other day my project crashed and refused to open, but a forum member posted a solution and it now works totally fine. i think that was a glitch with volume automation that caused it to close rather than memory usage.

at any rate, i'm sorry to hear that you are having all these problems with such a nice setup. hopefully someone can point you in the right direction and you can get everything out of that machine that you're supposed to be getting.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Go Back to forum