• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Kontakt Standalone On a PC

Share/Bookmark

Kontakt Standalone On a PC

Hi,
    i'm having problems loading more 2.5 gb's of samples in CUbase 4 with K2 as a VST......can someone please tell me how to use K2 standalone with Cubase on a PC??? God i've got 8 gb's of ram on a 2.00ghz x 4 processors machine!!

Re: Kontakt Standalone On a PC

yes, well to use more then 2gb of ram, you need to use a 64bit OS and sequencer.

As far as i know, Cubase 4 is 64bit, but not K2.And you need Xp64, or vista 64 bit.You can however for now,( i THINK,) use another k2 standalone in addition to the internal sequencer vst ones, but then you need to have some virtual (or physical) connection to hook up midi and audio back into cubase.I have tried it, and the only bad thing that happened was that K2 had some error message concerning "the locking of memory", or something to that extent, but i didnt get any complications from it at all.

so atleast you can then give each k2 2 gigs of ram untill you go 64 bit.I think it should work ok, even if you need some virtual cables.For midi, try to install something like Hubis loopback device, or something like that. There should be plenty virtual midi cable apps out there.For Audio im not realy sure...

but you can set up an external instrument track in cubase, and route the standalone k2 into that channel,so that you can automate and freeze etc the track as normal.Either via a physical in\out, or a virtual one.

And offcourse you need an audio driver that can handle several applications at once, but i guess they all can do that now...?Good luck.

Thanks by the way i have Xp 64 ...but as soon as I load more than 2.8 gb clicks and pops start...(cpu is "only" 25%) ..maybe it's because Cubase 4 is 32 bit...I also don't wanna jump to Cubase 4.1 64 bit since bit bridge is too slow and a lot of Vst are don't work...anyway thanks

aLf,

I also run Kontakt 2 on Windows XP-x64 Edition. In order to run K2, either as a standalone instance, or as a VSTi on XP-x64, I needed to make Kontakt 2 "Large Address Aware". (You can search on this forum for any posting that talks about LAA.) I ran a utility from this site which enables the LAA bit in the "Kontakt2.exe", or any other 32-bit executable file. You might also run the utility on the "Kontakt2.dll" VSTi file as well (located in your VSTi plugins folder). I have also run the LAATiDo utility on all my VSTi DLL files because, a while ago, I was running the demo version of Prisitne Space within my notation/sequencer program, and it kept kept crashing until I did. Haven't had a problem since.)

Running the utility should give you up to 3 GB of space for each VSTi instance (I think). Anyway, it's worth a try. The utility can make a backup of your original files in case something goes haywire.

Best of luck,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by skallman
    aLf,

I also run Kontakt 2 on Windows XP-x64 Edition. In order to run K2, either as a standalone instance, or as a VSTi on XP-x64, I needed to make Kontakt 2 "Large Address Aware". (You can search on this forum for any posting that talks about LAA.) I ran a utility from this site which enables the LAA bit in the "Kontakt2.exe", or any other 32-bit executable file. You might also run the utility on the "Kontakt2.dll" VSTi file as well (located in your VSTi plugins folder). I have also run the LAATiDo utility on all my VSTi DLL files because, a while ago, I was running the demo version of Prisitne Space within my notation/sequencer program, and it kept kept crashing until I did. Haven't had a problem since.)

Running the utility should give you up to 3 GB of space for each VSTi instance (I think). Anyway, it's worth a try. The utility can make a backup of your original files in case something goes haywire.

Best of luck,

Steve
    Should I "make it LAA" even if i never load more 1 gb of ram per instance of k2? I mean I have 3-4 k2 loaded as Vst ...

i might be mistaken, but doesnt K2 need to be 64 bit as well as cubase and the OS?

And as far as i know, they have not implemented that in the new K3.
    So that limits it in any event to 2,8 gB or whatever it is i think.

So i guess that the max 2.something GB is for ALL of cubase, as thats max for one application under 32bit, right?
    It doesnt matter if you only load 1 gb in each k2, cause i guess Cubase in total can not exeed that limit, so any app that needs additional ram needs to be run standalone along cubse for its own 2.8 gbs.

Thats what i thought anyway.

you could always reduce the ram usage of k2 though, and push the drives harder. Just reduce the reserved voices in k2, and the initial preload and number of buffers and size for as much as the drives can handle comfortably.
    Works for me. That doubles the amount of samples that K2 can load compared to the "default" state of DFD.

Should I "make it LAA" even if i never load more 1 gb of ram per instance of k2? I mean I have 3-4 k2 loaded as Vst ...
    Yes. It's seems to be inherently more stable when "Kontakt2.EXE" and "Kontakt2.DLL" are configured to be "Large Address Aware" when running on an XP-x64 OS machine. At least, that's my impression. Plus, it seems load a little faster. Always a good thing.

i might be mistaken, but doesnt K2 need to be 64 bit as well as cubase and the OS? And as far as i know, they have not implemented that in the new K3. So that limits it in any event to 2,8 gB or whatever it is i think.
    To answer your first question: in an ideal world K2 (or Kontakt 3) would need to be a 64-bit application to take full advantage of the cababilities inherent in XP-x64. But... they're not (Sigh!). As a 32-bit app, K2 is limited to directly addressing only 2 gb (not 2,8 GB). When it is made "large address aware", it can address 3 GB for each instance (or so I'm told). But at least you can have more than one instance of K2, so in a sense you're limited to the amount on RAM you have available in your machine.

I'm going to be upgrading my RAM to 8 GB soon, so it will be interesting to see how many articulations or samples I can load before my computer chokes. I've had similar "clicks and pops" problems as aLf has had. Hopefully the extra RAm will help. Certainly, my dual core CPU isn't even close to hitting 100% on either core when I'm running my sequencer.

Steve

Thanks where do I get this thing to make it LAA??? thanks

Here's the actual file:

http://www.musikbanken.se/laatidosetup.exe

Here's the site's home page:

http://www.musikbanken.se

Steve

Why are you using Kontakt? Do you need dfd?

Go Back to forum