• Register
  • Help

Topic: Holy Smokes

Share/Bookmark

Holy Smokes

SO I see a used Mac G5 2.0 ghz PPC tower today and figure that it couldn't be any worse than my little Mac Mini 2.0ghz. I throw some RAM into it, get a used AIrport card, and BAM this thing is a baaad mutha *shut your mouth* I'm talking about Mac....we can dig it. Sorry, I regressed to my soul days.

Seriously though, I was a little surprised at how many G5 towers were coming in on trade or off leases for the Mac Pro. Same case. A little less expansion (although a lot more than my Mac Mini to be sure). I have been loading up my VSL and EWQLSO products and this thing flies.

I'm very very pleased in this although Logic 8 is still a little prickly.

Re: Holy Smokes

Very cool davecos! I would like to move up to G5, maybe i will soon be able to do that. I think my G4 12" powerbook is probably similarly limited as the macmini.

Yeah, it's amazing what this thing will do. I can load a new VI instrument while I'm recording in cycle mode in Logic. No hiccup in audio stream (and I'm using a crappy Beheringer U-Control soundcard at the moment) no glitches. Load time for VSL is about comparable to my Mini but when the thing gets going it doesn't have crackles like the Mini does when streaming samples off of the hard drive.

I bought some extra RAM and a slim Apple keyboard because they are cool to work with. But I'm still using a Labtec PC mouse because I like the right-click button more than the Mighty Mouse version of it.

The mighty mouse is a load of crap.

Too right! The top scroll ball of mine stopped working after two weeks.

Saying that though, I have got supremely clammy hands. Everything I touch turns to mould.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Harvey
    Too right! The top scroll ball of mine stopped working after two weeks.

Saying that though, I have got supremely clammy hands. Everything I touch turns to mould.
    I'm seriously upset at the moment Nick - just spilt an entire large late over everything including this crap excuse for a mouse. I take one sugar and you can't believe the sticky crap that involves. The guy I'm working for at the moment just uses a PC type mouse (2 clicker and wheel) with his Macs and it seems to work well. This is the route I'm taking next year when the upgrade comes to my studio.

Paul (covered in s h i t e) R

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    I'm seriously upset at the moment Nick - just spilt an entire large late over everything including this crap excuse for a mouse.
    Coffee's bad for you.

They've done extensive testing...on mice.

may I ask...how much?

double post...weird.

Go Back to forum