• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Melodies: A Medly from the Past Part II

Melodies: A Medly from the Past Part II

Okay, here is the first half of part II of Melodies. I really don't know how long this thing is going to be...but it's around 7 minutes right now. I've separated it into 2 parts mainly because I'm having a technical difficulty with Finale and a tempo issue which I haven't been able to figure out (well, I have figured out, but I'm too lazy to fix it :P). So, rather than making you listen to the first half of the 2nd transitional movement twice as long as you have to...I just posted a second part, besides, my upload limit was getting close to being maxed out for the first part.

So, this one is based off of (I'm getting better at typing off of) "The Lake at Night," which I wrote last spring, I have the original posted on my soundclick page, but as it is not GPO, I'm not going to post the link (but I'm not going to chide you for listening to it either ) So, have a listen if you like, I have part one hyperlinked above part II, so if you want to skip part I, go directly to part II, do not pass GO, and do not collect $200...wow...that was lame.

Memories: A Medly from the Past
    lo-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=5885434&q=lo
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=5885434&q=hi
    Memories: A Medly from the Past II
    lo-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=5969144&q=lo
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=5969144&q=hi
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Re: Melodies: A Medly from the Past Part II

Hi, Michael

I was a bit confused by your post, the text -- but I've listened to the two parts you posted and--

--I am so impressed with your work. These are scrumptious, wrap around you like a fantastic quilt kind of pieces.

I wanted each one to last longer. That's a Good thing--They're probably a good length, but I was just enjoying so much.

Permit me one technical note - you have a MAJor "machine gun" effect snare drum in the first half. Those long rolls--oh they suddenly jerked me out of receptive mode.

It comes from the snare notes all having the same velocity value. Best to use a "round robin" kind of snare which swaps different samples for each hit, but I think you're only using GPO which doesn't have that. If there's a way for you to hand edit the velocities, just randomly changing those values so that no two identical velocities are next to each other--that would help a lot. I understand you want a constant roll which is synchronized with your music, so just make the velocity differences subtle.

Beautiful music - Thanks for posting it here!

Randy B.

Thanks Rbowser...your posts are helpful as always. The snare drum...yes. I know exactly what's wrong with it, thanks for pointing it out. What it is: Finale comes with a snare drum buzz roll that can be sampled to GPO, but I still put the tremolo roll marks over it, so, what happened was I got something like a roll inside a roll...or roll squared! (to get all mathematical on you) I'll fix that right away, thanks!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

"...Finale comes with a snare drum buzz roll that can be sampled to GPO..."

You're using the Finale version of GPO and not the full GPO, I think? - There's a good snare roll in the full GPO, with volume controlled by the Mod Wheel, but I guess you don't have that?

But you're saying that you've used a Finale snare - different from GPO's --The part I don't understand is about "sampled to GPO"--nothing can be --well,---I don't know what you mean I guess.

If they are individual notes in that roll, then my earlier post makes sense. I thought I was hearing a single hit being triggered at exactly the same velocity over and over. If that's the sound of a rolled sample -hmmmmm, - I don't think even your trem marking would make it sound like that. --- A rolled sample should be exactly that - a recording of a percussionist playing a roll, and they always sound natural, especially the GPO one controlled with the Mod Wheel for volume changes.

Randy B.

Right, that's what it is, it's a sampled roll. If I were to put a simple whole note (without any roll marks or anything) using the note that is mapped out to be the roll instead of a single stroke, it sounds like a roll, but if I put the tremolo mark over that, Finale plays that note over and over again (32nd notes I believe if it was a whole note, it really depends how long the note is) so what you get is the sampled roll played very quickly over and over again. So, what I did to the updated version is put the normal "z" over the note stem to symbolize a buzz roll. The "z" in finale has no playback effects, it is just there for looks, so, it sounds a lot better. My other option would have been to change the note to the single-stroke note and put a tremolo over that, but the problem with that is, when you change tempo or have a fermata, it slows down, as the tremolo is just a set number of notes depending on the amount of dashes in the tremolo and the length of the note...I hope this clears it up!

Edit: The reason it sounds bad when the sampled roll is played as a tremolo, is because the sampled roll has a distinct attack, which when the tremolo is placed on the note, the attack is really all you hear being played over and over again, therefore, you get a bunch of roll attacks without hearing the actual roll itself...pardon my lack of knowledge on this subject and my use of "termage" as I'm am about as new as it gets when it comes to GPO and sampling all together.
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Randy, what are/is "round robin" kind of snare?

Hello again, sanyarem

Ah, I see! Thanks so much for the more detailed explanation. The tremolo mark caused the rolled sample to be triggered over and over, producing basically the same effect that would happen if you had loaded a single snare hit instead. Ick! -Hence my first response talking about velocity values - that's when I was assuming it was a single hit sample being triggered over and over --Which it Was--but only by accident. -

Your description was perfectly clear, you're doing fine with the "termage." hehe--I'm glad you smoothed things out so now you have that realistic snare roll in there and not distracting from the composition. Great.

Raymond, "round robin" is the term for when a different sample or version of a sample is triggered each time the same note is played. At least two different sounds are being triggered, usually more - and you can see that "machine gun" is avoided that way.

What I was thinking of in relation to the Garritan libraries is that in JABB, as it says in the manual, "Many of the percussion instruments use programming to introduce automatic random variations between hits. Each hit will sound somewhat different even if the velocity value is the same."

This is a form of "round robin" - What the manual seems to indicate is that it's not completely different samples being triggered on successive hits, but various forms of pitch and timbre variation are programmed in so that there will be variations introduced without the user having to do anything else.

Randy B.

Interesting, dark color work in the opening of II, Michael;
    and a nice transition into the more pensive, suspensive
    latter work.

Off to a nice start on this!

My best,

Dallas, TX

Thumbs up Re: Melodies: A Medly from the Past Part II

These are great Michael, i have listened to them several times. You are a very gifted writer!! You have a very high quality and realistic, well balanced sound as well, are you using a DAW in conjuction with Finale, or is this all from Finale?

are you using a DAW in conjuction with Finale, or is this all from Finale?
    This is strictly from Finale (I don't even know what a DAW is ) rbowser has told me i need to work on my use of smileys in the appropriate context, I hope the one used in this parenthetical phrase is a decent use of the ever evolving smiley.
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast