• Register
  • Help

Topic: Finale 2008/GPO pizzicato oddity

Share/Bookmark

Finale 2008/GPO pizzicato oddity

Hi all.

I've been a user of Finale with GPO for a while, and I've come across this strange behaviour in 2008.

I've set up a quintet of solo strings (2 'named' KS violins, KS viola, KS cello and KS bass). I'm using HP to switch between arco and pizz. The switch seems OK for the viola downwards, but not for either violin. If I manually trigger the KS with the Kontakt 2 keyboard, then the sound changes, but then never reverts.

Watching the K2 keyboard suggests that the KS notes are never being sent for the violins.

I've tried using the Finale-GPO 'Lite' solo violin with the same outcome.

Any ideas?

David Keeffe

Re: Finale 2008/GPO pizzicato oddity

Oops - a little more info:

Finale 2008 on an HP laptop, Windows XP pro, lots of RAM.

DK

I don't know if this is what's going on or not, but it happened to me. Under "expressions," there are actually 2 different "pizz," and "arco," buttons. One has a disclaimer shaded in gray, and above it, is just a normal "pizz," and "arco," button. I used the normal ones, and they worked fine. Good luck!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Re: Finale 2008/GPO pizzicato oddity (more)

Hi everyone.

I haven't cured this, but I have a workaround by using the pizz/arco expressions which force a MIDI data dump. This seems to work.

Anyway I just have to remember to use those exprs for the violins. Sadly other things like tremolo/trill aren't changing either but I can live with that, since the price is intended for live performance.

BTW all this is related to composing a setting of Wilfred Owen's "Strange Meeting" for voice and chamber orchestra but with single strings. And I'm not going to listen to Britten's War Requiem until it's finished - not brave enough for that!

best

David Keeffe

I've just tried all of the "named" solo violins with a little test file, and it worked perfectly.

You shouldn't HAVE to use any sort of MIDI information at all in the expression for Finale/HP to play it. It should be just text, nothing else.

Is there any way you could post a sample file with the strings in question and the expressions that are giving you trouble?

Michel is right, you should only use expression that are text only, do not use the midi "dump" expressions with HP.

Without seeing the file it's hard to diagnose, but it sounds like the violin staves aren't named correctly. Without that information, HP can't make the correct keyswitching choices.

JT

Thumbs up Re: Finale 2008/GPO pizzicato oddity

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    Michel is right, you should only use expression that are text only, do not use the midi "dump" expressions with HP.

Without seeing the file it's hard to diagnose, but it sounds like the violin staves aren't named correctly. Without that information, HP can't make the correct keyswitching choices.

JT
    Kudos to Jeff Turner . I had used the Finale template which names the violins just "I" and "II" with the text 'Violin' in the group name. No more will I do that!

It all works now!

Thanks

David K

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner View Post

JT

Funny. doesn't work on mine - I need to use the data dump arco and pizz, even when using staves set up and named from the startup wizard. Do I have some other HP reference set wrong?

F2k7, Mac dual overclocked G4, OSX Leopard

Quote Originally Posted by passagio View Post
    Funny. doesn't work on mine - I need to use the data dump arco and pizz, even when using staves set up and named from the startup wizard. Do I have some other HP reference set wrong?

F2k7, Mac dual overclocked G4, OSX Leopard
    z
    I am having the same problem with an orchestra score using the violin KS I cannot get any switches to take place. I wish i could spend 1/4 as much time writing as I do trying to get things to work

Go Back to forum