• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Archilochus colubris (wind quintet)

Share/Bookmark

Archilochus colubris (wind quintet)

I had hoped to post the final movement to Invasion of the Universe next, but I am still working on it. The rough draft is completed and I hope to post it next once I get the mix right.

This is my first wind quintet with sib5/GPO. This was a quick one at around 6-7 hours. I did it over a course of several days. The first night I put about an hour into it at about 10 minutes at a time. Then a few minutes here and there betweeen studying and then a few more hours tonight to finish it up and get the mix right.

Archilochus colubris (The Ruby Throated Hummingbird)
    Flitting around between drinks of nectar, The Ruby throat sparkling in the afternoon sun.

Here is the MP3 for the first movement
    Box.net - Free Online File Storage, Internet File Sharing, Online Storage, Access Documents & Files Anywhere, Backup Data, Send Files

Here is the 2nd Movement

http://www.box.net/shared/4it6kbk92n

Comments, suggestions and insults will be appreciated

Ron

Re: Archilochus colubris (wind quintet)

Ron

The fluid orchestration in these two movements is quite appealing and suits the theme quite well. Some great woodwind textures.

Butr there seems to be more going than just a hummingbird flitting about. The first movement to my imagination seems to describe a lush garden with dense foliage, vines, and perfumed flowers in the early morning in still air with a few hummingbirds but maybe some other creatures as well. The second movement, again to my imagination, does seem to have a soft breezy sunny afternoon feel but with several hummingbirds feeding and swooping about.

Two very enjoyable pieces.

Ques. When you say "get the mix right" are you talking about adjusting the dynamics in Sibelius, or the ambience in the K2 player, or some other editing/processing of the wave file?

Herb

Very nice - lots of unexpected harmonic shifts in the first movement. Nice changes in the way the quintet is used; you do a nice job of orchestrating the five voices. Picturesque without being overly descriptive/programmatic. You caught the essence of your subject well.

The sound is a little different in the second movement (less reverb?) At least that is how it struck me on first listen. If I can get to it again, I'll check to see if that is accurate.

Very enjoyable!

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Very enjoyable flight, Ron - Happily going in circles, not caring about arriving at a destination. Happy and gently energetic. Nice - and an excellent thing for you to do when you take breaks from hitting the books.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Ron,

I'm very impressed with the harmonic vocabulary you utilize in this (just had time to listen to the 1st mvt. this A.M.). Quite sophisticated, but certainly accessible.

You did really well at evoking the subject matter at hand, and I envisioned even more as I listened -- maybe even a touch of danger here and there!

Well-done, very creative, and a thoroughly enjoyable listen! I'm looking forward to listening to the 2nd mvt. when I get the chance.

Danny

Ron,,,impressive and descriptive. I didn't understand the bassoon, but, thats just me. Best wishes,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Euler

Ques. When you say "get the mix right" are you talking about adjusting the dynamics in Sibelius, or the ambience in the K2 player, or some other editing/processing of the wave file?

Herb
    Hey Herb

Adjusting the dynamics in sib can be a pregnant dog. It's a constant thing trying to figure out how to get the volume right with each instrument. Then I play with all the dials and buttons and slides in K2 (as if I have any idea what I am doing). That is all I do at the present. In time I figure to get a DAW and have yet another program to learn and dials to turn.
    I tried in this piece to show a garden with more than one Bird in it, so you caught that as well.

Thank you my friend

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl

The sound is a little different in the second movement (less reverb?) At least that is how it struck me on first listen. ,
    Ron (once again, great name)

You are probably right as I did these on different nights and I'm sure I had different settings.
    Thanks for the listen and the comments.

Randy

Where do you find the time?
    Thank you for the great comments!!

Quote Originally Posted by DDW
    Ron,

You did really well at evoking the subject matter at hand, and I envisioned even more as I listened -- maybe even a touch of danger here and there!

Danny
    Danny

I tried to instill a touch of danger. I am glad you picked up on that.

Thanks for the listen

Quote Originally Posted by taylorchandler
    Ron,,,impressive and descriptive. I didn't understand the bassoon, but, thats just me. Best wishes,
    John
    John

The bassoon was to depict the touch of danger.

Thanks to all that listened and took the time to comment

It means a lot!!!

Ron

Hi Ron. I really enjoyed. It was very fun. Some interesting harmonies.
    Trent P. McDonald

Hi Ron,

A great piece! Very well written for the instruments, and interesting harmonies.

Regards,

Jack

I'd listened to this some time back, Ron, and
    thought I'd commented at that time; but apparently
    missed doing so. My apologies.

Good writing for winds throughout in this; and
    clean rendering (though maybe just a hint more
    reverb wouldn't hurt).

One factor in the first movement particularly,
    were it me, I'd like to hear more conducting thought
    on tempi. In a number of places, as implied climaxes