• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Jennifer Lin Improv at TED.

Share/Bookmark

OT: Jennifer Lin Improv at TED.

Pretty good...

http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/46

Her little talk on composition was helpful as well. A lot of the same things that are taught on this forum, but put into spoken words.

Re: OT: Jennifer Lin Improv at TED.

That kid is remarkable! Amazing pianist, and a darn good compostion teacher.
    Very cool to learn something from a fourteen yearold.

Thanks for posting this Luke, i had never even heard of Ted before.

When she played Hoffman and then Schumann, it reminded me of something from a long time ago, that may sound cliché but really happenned and has a good example for old people (like me).

I was working in a piano store and did repairs mainly, but whenever i was caught up with those and could step away from the shop, i would go to the showroom floor and occasionally make a piano sale.

One day a man who looked to be 90 years old was playing Schumann as beautifully as this kid Jennifer Lin was playing. When he finished, i used my lame opening line, "so how long have you been playing?"

As soon as those words stumbled out of my mouth and across the top of that concert grand, i thought to myself, "good grief what a stupid thing to say, he's 90, he's been playing for probably 80 something years."

His answer was 6 years! He was not 90, but 86, and on his 80th birthday decided to do what he had always wanted to do, learn to play the piano. His answer blew me away.

It is never to late, and the way a kid is pre-programmed for speedy absorbtion of learning and knowledge may not be there, but apparently a strong desire and a willingness to go for it, will make up the difference.

David

clearly avery very talented 14 year old (how old is she now?), however Id have to agree with some of the comments on that website that the impro wasnt exactly as stunning as the rest....but hey she was only 14!

PS: have you heard Jools Hollands version of the bumble boogie? that is briilliant! plus accompanied by his drummer. Its a great duet!

Ben

Luke, thanks for posting this!

Oh man we live in a jaded age. So many people have lost the ability to see and appreciate anything, I suppose because it's more important to them to maintain their illusory fantasies of being superior. But it seems more pronounced these days - probably because of the saturation level we've all reached, being able to hear, see, read most anything from anywhere in the world--We can have difficulty seeing Anything.

Jennifer Lin is tremendous in that video. As if any of us will see very many of her talent in our entire lives?

There are posts underneath the screen at the site, and as usual with those kind of things, it's full of drivel and pompous, self-important and boring Bull Stuff from some sad little people.

This guy will remain nameless, because he's a Cipher on the planet and doesn't deserve having his name publicized- Here's a quote from part of what he said about Jennifer's improv, based on notes drawn by audience member Goldie Hawn (!) from a pile of cards:

"...that improvisation was unoriginal trite formulaic "cheesy inspirational" garbage...She made one of the ugliest voiceleading mistakes at the very outset of her improv--harmonizing her B in the melody with the dominant in the first inversion, doubling the leading-tone. She should know better. Made me cringe every time she went to it. Which was every time she played the freaking subject. It is Counterpoint 101, really. A better solution would have been the 2nd inversion Dominant (D in the bass) moving to E in the bass (choice of multiple possibilities for harmony: I, iii, vi.) This is also--besides being better voiceleading--more idiomatic of the (ahem, good) Romantic composers' styles I assume she was attempting to ape. There is hope for her. Not so sure about the rest of you effusive philistines..."

Complete and absolute Barf-O-Rama. THAT's the sort of hot air that emits from some corners of the musical world's Ivory Tower which can give composers and musicians a bad name. People like that are revolting and are a complete joke. The guy probably hasn't produced music of any value in his life, and now he bitterly takes his failure out on 14 year old girls. Puke-ola.

--Ok--I feel better now.

NExt time, I'll tell you how I Really feel.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by BenNichols
    clearly avery very talented 14 year old (how old is she now?), however Id have to agree with some of the comments on that website that the impro wasnt exactly as stunning as the rest....but hey she was only 14!

PS: have you heard Jools Hollands version of the bumble boogie? that is briilliant! plus accompanied by his drummer. Its a great duet!

Ben
    It was filmed in 2004. So doing some quick math, carry the one... add in the fact that apples are in the Rose Family... then you can just use Euler's Formula... so she is about 17-18 now, possibly 19, I don't know her exact Birthday.

@Randy: In the lyrical words of Fort Minor's song "Be Somebody"; "...they're just pissed because they never achieved some opportunity they missed back when they were sixteen..."

Wow Randy, that individual must be posting from some dungeon. I didn't read the comments under the video, i guess i always forget they are there. This time i'm thankful i didn't remember. Hard to believe anyone could want to be such an ___ .

Go Back to forum