• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Christmas Cover contest at Soundclick

Share/Bookmark

OT: Christmas Cover contest at Soundclick

Hello folks,

They're having a Christmas Cover contest at Soundclick:

http://www.soundclick.com/contest.cfm?contestid=2

Seems the only rule is that it should be an arrangement of an existing song, not an original composition.

If I'm not much mistaken there are several of our members that have such songs on SC, so why not put them to work

Cheers Matt

Re: OT: Christmas Cover contest at Soundclick

Hey, cool, Matt - Thanks for letting us know.

Gary G., if you see this, I'm wondering if it would be OK with you if songs submitted for the Garritan Christmas CD were entered into this contest also?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

btw, both Aziraphal and I have songs in the soundclick contest, too.

-pssssssst---semi-secret stuff: I have a song in the contest also. It made the first cut and is in that list of 250 songs that are in round 2. SO that makes at least 3 of us Forum members in that group!

My tune is under a different user name than I use here.

AND - My entry has been floating around in the top 4 slots of its sub-genre for several days now - Last I looked, it was #1!

Wouldn't it be cool if we could all keep going into the 3rd round when it's narrowed down to 20!

Fun stuff - Thanks for the info on this Matt, and a big thanks to Gary Garritan who let me know it was fine with him for Garritan Christmas CD tracks to be entered at SoundClick.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

oh a mystery!! well, mine is not one of the CD pieces, so no issues there. Matt's I don't know but thanks for letting us know its no issue (which hadn't occurred to me, my apologies, Gary)

Good luck!

A Dec. 2nd follow-up to this:

At least three of us Forum members entered this contest - Aziraphal, KE Peace, and I - AND, all three of us got in to Round Two. At first there were 1,300 entries - ! - And Round Two narrowed that down to 250--So, it's great all three of us made it that far!

Were there other Forum members there that I just didn't notice?

Yesterday Round Three was announced, with 20 finalists selected, and we're not on that list. Oh well!

QUESTION - if SoundClick users read this post, people more familiar with the site than me. I let my account lie fallow for a full Year before entering this Christmas Cover contest on a whim, and I've just never been very active there.

I don't quite grasp how these contests are conducted at SoundClick - The board moderators said yesterday when they posted the finalists, that listener input was the most important factor. - But--how does that really work?

Listeners can vote on entries, awarding them from 1 to 5 stars. The average ranking is always on display for each entry. So, this is One of the 4 elements for determining winners -

--But my piece had an average score of 4.1, and 18 of the 20 finalists all had scores lower than that. One matched my score, and one went to something like 4.15.

? - It seems to me that the listener rankings don't actually go into the equation as much as the moderators say.

How many times a song is played is another part of the contest - I don't get that at all. It's pretty much by luck that one's entry is played. Some people actively promote their MP3s to attract listeners - and people with paid accounts at SoundClick can do that more easily.--How can number of plays reflect anything about the quality of the music--?

Another element looked at are listener comments - But search as I may, I can't find any such comments listed. Where are they??

The fourth element in the judging is the opinion of a panel of judges - I think they must have more input than they're stating at the site, and actually, this is the part of the contest that makes the most sense to me. The ratings can be played with easily - competitive sorts can simply give other people low ratings. And people can ask their friends to go and click on their tunes, artificially upping the number of hits.

And so forth - I've asked these questions at SoundClick, but so far haven't gotten very useful answers.

It was fun to enter, and thanks, Aziraphal, for bringing it to our attention. The mainstreamish pop songs on the finalist list seem like comfortable choices - I'm just a SoundClick newbie not clear on how this all actually works.

Any info would be appreciated. It could be helpful to understand SoundClick better if I decide to enter one of their contests again.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

I think the same criteria was used in the contest as in the chart placing: the number of plays and the number of stars (which used to be just Hot/Flop, now you can rate the songs with 1-5 stars). How much attention the panel of judges actually gave the 1300+ entrants is anybody's guess.

Which brings us to the old question - how do you dominate the SC charts? By getting people to listen to you. Inviting all your friends to listen to you daily, making new ones (hanging around on SC forum writing reviews and commenting is a great way), using their very effective but also very expensive promo campaigns ...

Then you have e.g. rap or hip-hop artists with much wider listener base than classical composers who title their latest gangsta masterpiece "Agnus Dei" or some other religious title and post it in eg. Choral genre, quickly rising to the top due to number of clicks.

(edit-add): Oh I forgot the comments .. yes, there's also the time-honored technique of politicians. Pop your avatar up hundreds of times. Vote for me pls... Vote for me pls... Vote for me pls... Vote for me pls...

and the ways of the Dark Side of the Force, of course It wouldn't be that much of a challenge to a talented hacker/musician to create ... no, let's not spoil the day

How can number of plays reflect anything about the quality of the music, you say? A tragic rhetorical question, of course... I've discovered many a breathtaking talent on SC, but never by clicking No.1 on any chart.

To sum it up, SoundClick, like real world, is not fair, but it is fun and offers lots of opportunities if you know where to look for them.

Cheers Matt

PS It was great running the second lap at your side

matt, in my opinion, your piece was tops and should have been in the last 20. 5 stars from me. randy, you wouldn't tell me on chat who you are on soundclick so i have no idea if i listened or not ? me, i didn't expect to be in the last 20, it was just a little string quartet....

congrats you guys for getting to the 250. i had come nice chats with people on there while we were all waiting and wondering.....

i may be a little scarce for awhile because i have a lot of score work to do... cleanup, etc.

happy holidays!

Hey, thanks for the reply, Matt.

It seems to me the contest is more about who promotes SoundClick the most, since paying for better service, spending time at the site schmoozing people so they'll vote for you etc---ultimately all of that mostly benefits SoundClick itself. That's all fine, but I still have the strong impression that none of it has very much to do with the music itself.

I saw someone this morning proudly stating that he REMOVED his star ratings to people when they didn't turn around and give Him high stars--OOOokay. Lol--!

"...the number of plays and the number of stars..."

Hmmm, but as I said, the number of stars doesn't seem to actually count as much as they claim, since 18 of the 20 finalists had ratings below mine.

But where are these listener comments posted? I still can't find them and nobody tells me where they are. That's supposed to be one of the 4 elements of determining winners. Where-??

"...I've discovered many a breathtaking talent on SC, but never by clicking No.1 on any chart..."

Well, ahem, my submission has been #1 in its sub-genre of Jazz Covers for awhile now. SOooo, of course there are exceptions, right, Matt?

--And that's something else - When my chart position has been #1 for several days, and in the top 4 or 5 before that --this wasn't part of the judging criteria? Someone on the finalist list is on the same chart, but several positions below me. ---I'm just saying it doesn't all seem to add up--?

KEPEace!--You asked me at SoundClick which song was mine? SOrry, I didn't see that - I opened an account there over a year ago, and kept the original name I used--named after my home studio, "Dinosaur Productions." I entered my "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" from the Garritan Christmas CD after getting the OK from Gary that it was OK to do that.

Interesting experience. I've never felt it was where I wanted to hang out a lot, SoundClick, but this was a fun event--even though the way contests are run there seems more than a bit questionable.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hmmm, but as I said, the number of stars doesn't seem to actually count as much as they claim, since 18 of the 20 finalists had ratings below mine.

Well, ahem, my submission has been #1 in its sub-genre of Jazz Covers for awhile now. SOooo, of course there are exceptions, right, Matt?
    The stars business is fishy... maybe 30 4-stars count more than 20 5-stars? who knows. Not to mention that competition is a lot more fierce on pop and electronic charts than classical .. so being no.1 on classical can still be way behind someone who's no.2 on Pop. Dunno about Jazz charts...

Of course there are exceptions but I knew you were a grand master before I knew you were on SC, so I wouldn't have 'discovered' you there, hehe.
    Ok I take it back .. you know what I meant. You nitpicker you.

Go Back to forum