• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sonata in c# minor - 2nd movement

Share/Bookmark

Sonata in c# minor - 2nd movement

A while back I posted the first movement of a Sonata in c# minor that was based on a Prelude I had posted a short time before. Well, I recently posted a prelude to counteract that original one and so, as you may guess, I wrote the second movement of the sonata based on this prelude.

This may be a little different than some of my music….

Sonata in c# minor
    1st movement
    2nd movement

Let me know what you think.

-I just posted a revision of the 2nd movement - 11/16 5:20 EST
    Last edited by trentpmcd; 11-16-2007 at 05:22 PM. Reason: revision posted
    Trent P. McDonald

Re: Sonata in c# minor - 2nd movement

I really like the way the second movement begins. Nice dissonance that gets resolved well. Just for my ear though all the pauses cry out for something. Either an accompaniment or a pathway to some discord or tempo change.

This is just a matter of taste though. The themes are evocative and the variations are effective. Just a bit slow for me.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    I really like the way the second movement begins. Nice dissonance that gets resolved well. Just for my ear though all the pauses cry out for something. Either an accompaniment or a pathway to some discord or tempo change.

This is just a matter of taste though. The themes are evocative and the variations are effective. Just a bit slow for me.

Ron
    Hi Ron. Well, nothing is ever complete, so maybe I’ll do something more, particularly in the sparse third section with all of the alternating octave b’s and the quartal harmonies, however…..

I don’t want to say too much until more people put up their impressions (I often find people are influenced by what’s been posted). I was looking for a very strong contrast to the shifting harmonies and tempo changes of the first movement. Did I make it too static, too sparse? I guess that’s part of the feedback I’m looking for (your answer seems to be “yes”).

Thanks for listening and for your response.
    Trent P. McDonald

Hi, Trent - I always look forward to your posts.

This second movement has simultaneous introversion but pent-upness in it which makes for a very involving experience.

I have no way to analyze or say anything more profound than that - the reaction I typed leapt to mind after I heard the piece.

Hummmm.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd

I don’t want to say too much until more people put up their impressions (I often find people are influenced by what’s been posted). I was looking for a very strong contrast to the shifting harmonies and tempo changes of the first movement. Did I make it too static, too sparse? I guess that’s part of the feedback I’m looking for (your answer seems to be “yes”).

Thanks for listening and for your response.
    This movement is definatly a contrast to the first!
    I totally understand what you mean by people being influenced and that is why I debated saying what I said. but IMHO yes, a tad too sparse. But that is only my opinion. Always remember that I am not the one composing your piece, nor are others. If what you have to say requires the sparseness, then by all means, keep it.

Hope that doesn't influence others either!!!

Ron

Hi Trent,
    I don't think I"ve listened to much of your work.
    A very good start. Good lines and parts. I'm not a pianist, but it seems to me that you could add a lot of contrasting color by using a greater range of notes. The low notes, for instance, pounded out in the middle of a soft section: ultra high notes using similar melodies: places for brief pauses. Just some ideas I've learned in general.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, Trent - I always look forward to your posts.

This second movement has simultaneous introversion but pent-upness in it which makes for a very involving experience.

I have no way to analyze or say anything more profound than that - the reaction I typed leapt to mind after I heard the piece.

Hummmm.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Hi Randy. I hope the experience was both involving and rewarding . This one is a little different so I’d like to see different people’s reactions.

Thanks for listening and for your feedback.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    This movement is definatly a contrast to the first!
    I totally understand what you mean by people being influenced and that is why I debated saying what I said. but IMHO yes, a tad too sparse. But that is only my opinion. Always remember that I am not the one composing your piece, nor are others. If what you have to say requires the sparseness, then by all means, keep it.

Hope that doesn't influence others either!!!

Ron
    Hi again Ron. Sometimes after “finishing” something I am too close to the source and my judgment goes out the window. On my own, it might take a couple of days or a couple of weeks before I start saying “Why did I do that…” Sometimes when I get feedback here it prompts me to look at it a different way. I might not touch a note, but I might go back and rewrite whole sections.

With this one, I’m not sure yet and do value your feedback.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by garymosse
    Hi Trent,
    I don't think I"ve listened to much of your work.
    A very good start. Good lines and parts. I'm not a pianist, but it seems to me that you could add a lot of contrasting color by using a greater range of notes. The low notes, for instance, pounded out in the middle of a soft section: ultra high notes using similar melodies: places for brief pauses. Just some ideas I've learned in general.
    Gary
    Hi Gary. Thanks for sharing your ideas. I’m still not sure if I’ll make changes – we’ll have to see how I feel after a while. I think it came out for the most part how I wanted, but I’m worried about some of the large stretches of “sameness” where very little happens.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.
    Trent P. McDonald

Hi Trent,

I listened to your sonata yesterday, and again (the 1st movement) today, and I liked it much more today, which I think is a good sign. Very interesting piano writing, and handling of the two main themes. I like the way you combine them toward the end. A minor criticism I might make is that I think the first entry of the 2nd theme doesn't quite come off as well as the rest of it, although I'm not sure why.

All the best.

Jack

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast