• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Poll: Download Instruments

Share/Bookmark

Poll: Download Instruments

Internet connections are getting faster and faster.
    Three years ago, nobody thought about downloding complete libraries.

I wonder, where are we today?
    When you purshase a single instrument via download, is there a limit?
    And if so, is it:
    1GB?
    2GB?
    6GB?
    12GB?

Just curious,

Chris Hein
    Chris Hein - Horns / Chris Hein - Guitars / Chris Hein - Bass
    http://www.chrishein.net

Re: Poll: Download Instruments

I'm quite happy with anything up to about 12GB, so long as interrupted download is supported. My Internet Provider is a little unreliable, and I'd hate to lose something due to a cut in the connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hein
    Internet connections are getting faster and faster.
    Three years ago, nobody thought about downloding complete libraries.

I wonder, where are we today?
    When you purshase a single instrument via download, is there a limit?
    And if so, is it:
    1GB?
    2GB?
    6GB?
    12GB?

Just curious,

Chris Hein
    Chris,

Tsaiko, before I re-compressed the original .rar to about 800 mb, was almost 2 gb, and I was amazed that no customers complained about the file size! I wouldn't mind downloading a 12gb+ library if the download speeds were constant and stable.
    Sean Beeson
    www.seanbeeson.com
    Composer for videogames, film and television

No problem whatsoever, as long as the speed is as fast as it goes. I'm at 5 mbits so I can get around 0.6 MB per sec. With that speed I get 6 MB per 10 secs, 36 MB per minute 360 per 10 minutes 1 CD (720) per 20 minutes and so on... I mean with a few hours I can get 12 GB.

If I was to save on import taxes as well (which should be the case with the internet (?)) then I would gladly download VSL or something!

Smile Re: Poll: Download Instruments

Pirates upload and download 10, 20, 30 Gb of software.

But they do it running 24h 7day little home servers, using peer to peer connection lasting for weeks....

I don't think in a commercial transaction it is feasable.

But I did buy 1Gb of downloadable software and more (less than 2Gb if I remember well), without any issues, and with full satisfaction:

- in the relaxed early night surfing just after dinner, I check features, demos, prices, licence agreement. If I'm OK, I take my credit card and use the magic number...fill in forms, start download...go sleeping.

- The following morning I check if download is over, or if everything is running well, and coming back from work, the evening after, I'm ready for installation and trial of my new toy....WONDERFUL!

I think it's quite better compared to shipping, even if the continental shipping is quite fast. People feel more free, and more available, mainly if you offer a little useful piece of software, for a fair price: the impulse of buying it can help you increasing sales.

If you imagine the model based on let say 3 days of slow and boring download...use an express CD shipping instead!

THEN:
    - no more than 2Gb, modular offer (instrument by instrument, basic and extended etc. etc.), little price rewarding for shipping and packaging and paper docs cost reduction.

THIS IS the winning formula (and a quick and short procedure for signing in and e-pay is also a must: long and slow verification and exausting amount of field requested to fill before you buy...no, it's not the way).

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    Pirates upload and download 10, 20, 30 Gb of software.

But they do it running 24h 7day little home servers, using peer to peer connection lasting for weeks....

I don't think in a commercial transaction it is feasable.
    Not entirely sure really.

I just got new (additional) hosting for another site (cgempire) and I got 500 GB of webspace and 3 TB (!!!!) of traffic per month for 6.95$ per month.

Now, I don't know about you, but with 70$ per month one could have 30,000 GB of monthly traffic. That's quite enough, if distributed in different servers to last anyone...

And the price getting the box + DVDs + manual + shiping, beats anything in reality.

(I'm a big fan of the internet, does it show?)

Cool Re: Poll: Download Instruments

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas
    Not entirely sure really.

I just got new (additional) hosting for another site (cgempire) and I got 500 GB of webspace and 3 TB (!!!!) of traffic per month for 6.95$ per month.

Now, I don't know about you, but with 70$ per month one could have 30,000 GB of monthly traffic. That's quite enough, if distributed in different servers to last anyone...

And the price getting the box + DVDs + manual + shiping, beats anything in reality.

(I'm a big fan of the internet, does it show?)
    Nikolas, I LOVE the internet too, and I have several on-line products like Modular series and Sampletek, with very happy transactions.

As you say, it's just a matter of technology: your set up is not a popular one today in Europe, but I understand it's not even in North America.

Maybe in 18 months it will be...but today, I will keep my sample as statistically more relevant.

The producer may increase dimension of files, day by day as the internet speed and band increase for average customers. (if they have specific professional target, they face perhaps better connections, I agree, but the amateur is also a nice target, freqently loving e-commerce).

I prefer downloadable libraries because I don´t like to wait for things I long for very much... and anyway: my girlfriend throws the nice product wrappings away when I am not at home. So downloads are great!

As an impulsive, immediate gratification (however "immediate" downloading 12 gb would be) kinda guy, d\l is my preffered way to go. As has been mentioned, the hassles with shipping, customs etc are definitely a problem for me in Canada and I would gladly avoid that even if it meant dealing with huge file sizes.
    Another thing I'd love to see is smaller parts of libraries available on a per instrument basis.
    If pro is the opposite of con lets look beyond this....the opposite of congress must be progress...

I'm cool with downloadables but I do like having it on DVD for use on future computers or crashed hard drives.

Go Back to forum