• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Hello, some er...'popular' music.

Hello, some er...'popular' music.

Hello all. I've been using GPO for a while now, and have just started using it with my band. I say band, but it's just me and a friend. There's a couple of songs on our myspace page, and I wondered if anyone would be kind enough to give us a bit of feedback.
    Sorry about the rather bleak subject matter, but I don't write the lyrics!
    Both songs use GPO with some real instruments and some other VSTis.
    Thanks everyone.
    Link To Myspace

Dallas, TX

Thumbs up Re: Hello, some er...'popular' music.

Schrödinger's cat, lol ...very creative song title!

Welcome Temple Cloud! You have a new fan, i love both songs very much. Beautiful band and beautiful vocals, if you are not famous yet, I'm certain you will be!

Re: Hello, some er...'popular' music.

that was some er .... "good" music there!
    Can hear the GPO at work and very much enjoyed the string writing.

Cool songs too; but the vocals and some of the mix seemed a bit muddy..??

Overall, great job!; especially done over the Internet.

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

Shelton, Washington State

I'm not up on the genre but you seem to be making good use of the strings. I was kind of wanting to hear some keyboards too but thats just me.

I thought the songs could be shortened a little or add something to keep interest as they seem to go on and on a bit.

Hello, Temple Cloud

Welcome to the Forums!

Something right off the bat - we could use more "er...'popular' music" here in The Listening Room. You can find a wide variety of genres here, but the pieces which tend to get the most attention are "serious" modern pieces and notation generated renderings of classics. Large group of super talented people here, and there's always room for more, and for more variety.

Like others have said on this thread, I was most impressed with your string arrangements - Nice! You're using GPO successfully and intelligently in these songs.

Isn't it amazing how well online collaboration can work? I've done it a few times and it's always been a really fun challenge as well as a rewarding experience.

I know you guys have sweated over the mixes. But I feel that they're still not quite doing the songs justice. Michael used the word "muddy," and I think I understand what he means. The vocal gets swamped at times, more juggling of tracks needed at those moments, and the arrangement sounds a bit thick, like portions need to be selectively de-emphasized to make for a cleaner total effect.

I hate to think of what a commercially conscious producer would want to do with my own songs, simplifying and trimming them down etc - But I'll wear the hat of one of those producer guys for a moment and say that I agree with Phil, - that these songs tend to be longer than they need to be. I think the first one is over 4 minutes - not an uncommon length, but I think there's a lot to be said for the old standard length of 3 minutes. Some tunes work best even down to 2 minutes. --When listeners start checking out, their brains saying, "oookay, I've been here long enough"---then, well--then things are too long.

I enjoyed the tunes, wanted to blab out some feedback, maybe some of this will be helpful.

Thanks for letting us hear!

Randy B.

Thanks for listening!
    Yeah, I think maybe you're right about the muddiness. Especially in Schrodinger's Cat. And maybe they are a bit long. When you are enjoying something it's easy to lose perspective, and just think 'This sounds great. Let's have more of it!'
    But great. That's really useful feedback guys, and once again, thanks for taking the time to listen.

Wilton, NH

When I was a very little kid “Alias Smith and Jones” was my favorite TV show…. I think I had forgotten it had even existed (or the reason it didn’t last long).

Anyway, dark as the subject matter sometimes was, I enjoyed listening. These songs remind me a lot of something I listened to in the early years of this century, but since I gave away a lot of my rock albums I can’t dig it out and tell you the name.
    Trent P. McDonald

Yeovil, Somerset

you used GPO perfectly in these 'pieces' the instruments really blend in here.
    Well done and keep up the good work!

Trumpet, cornet, flugel player. Composer and student.

This is quite nice! Very very nice actually!

I can't say that I feel the vocals on cat are too muddy, but then again I listen through headphones so dunno really... :-/

In all it is a lovely 2 songs. Too close to style I think and I don't know if they are made to be "hits", but who needs "hits" anyway in todays world?

I think they are very carefully crafted and produced and I like very much both of them.

What comes to my mind while listening to this, is that you guys are a cross between Pink Floyd and Simon and Garfunkel.

Great sounds and it grabbed my attention even though it has singing in it!!

Pete Duel was one of my all time favorites as a child. Nice tribute to him.

My best friend (John Hayes) was Hannible Hayes and I was Kid Curry. (Actually I was Kid Fergie).

Great use of the strings!!!

Well Done

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast