• Register
  • Help

Topic: New World Symphony - Mvt. 3 (CAMB)

Share/Bookmark

New World Symphony - Mvt. 3 (CAMB)

Howdy ya'll. This is the 3rd movement of my New World Symphony Field Show. This time, I rendered this in Finale 2008 instead of Sibelius 5, because I think Finale's Human Playback just sounds better. This ballad features two not so long Baritone Solos.

Hope everyone likes.

Click Here to Listen

Instrumentation:

Flute 1 (Flute Group 1)
    Clarinet 1 (Clarinet Group 1)
    Clarinet 2 (Clarinet Group 2)
    Alto Sax 1 (Alto Sax Group 1)
    Alto Sax 2 (Alto Sax Group 2)
    Tenor Sax (Tenor Sax Group 1)
    Trumpet 1 (Trumpet Group 1)
    Trumpet 2 (Trumpet Group 2)
    Trumpet 3 (Trumpet Group 3)
    Mellophone 1 (Mellophone Group 1)
    Mellophone 2 (Mellophone Group 2)
    Baritone 1 (Bari Hn Group - Solo KS 1)
    Baritone 2 (Bari Hn Group 2)
    Euphonium 1 (Euph Group 1)
    Euphonium 2 (Euph Group 2)
    Tuba (Tuba Group 1)
    Anthony Abruscato

"There are only two types of music: Love Songs and Pirate Music"

HP Pavillion dv6171cl w/ Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, 2 GB Ram, 250 GB 5200 RPM HD + an external 300 GB HD. GPO, JABB, CAMB, Sibelius 5.1, Finale 2008a, and a demo copy of FL studio.

Thumbs up Re: New World Symphony - Mvt. 3 (CAMB)

Very Nice, Anthony! I have always loved New World's middle movement. The melody line of the solo, is it being played an octave lower because it is Baritone? I think it works, but it seems like it doesn't stand apart or something, maybe it needs to be louder... but then that may not be right because i know it is suposed to be so soft and draw you to it... but aside from that possibly needing some tweak even though i can't put my finger on what it could be, the overall arrangement is just beautiful and your instruments are sounding exceptional.

Thanks for posting your arrangement of one of my favorites (and a favorite of a lot of people)
    David

Re: New World Symphony - Mvt. 3 (CAMB)

Hi, raz.bari.88

This really is such an interesting thing you've done in your simplification and arrangement of the New World Symphony. Oh yeah - who can't love the beautiful melody line of this theme?

I think David "Leaf" hit on something very valid - You want this to be for a marching band's field show, right? - I feel you need to amp things up accordingly, and especially by making the melody more prominent.

The most drastic experiment would be to try different instruments on that line, an octave above where you have it. Maybe there should be more doubling going on - There are many different things you could do, but I feel it could be more punchy and dramatic, despite it's lush melody. Like I'm saying - you want this for a marching band, right?---so, you could give them some more oomph!

Really interesting--Thanks.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Thanks for commenting Randy and David.

I too agree that the solo needs some changing, but I felt that I wanted to stay true to the Phantom Regiment arrangement, which featured a Baritone solo, so that's my dilema right there. If anyone wants to see the original show, here's the links

first half, second half

About the punchyness, I don't want this to be very punchy at all, totally going in a different direction than what Phantom Regiment originally did. I'm going toward more of an orchestra on the field for this part. Randy, I'll take your suggestion and move some of the parts around. I can't make the show much longer because, at least in my area, the maximum a marching band show can be is nine minutes (don't quote me on that though, I'm not quite sure).

Anthony Abruscato

"There are only two types of music: Love Songs and Pirate Music"

HP Pavillion dv6171cl w/ Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, 2 GB Ram, 250 GB 5200 RPM HD + an external 300 GB HD. GPO, JABB, CAMB, Sibelius 5.1, Finale 2008a, and a demo copy of FL studio.

Last Fri night at this time I was watching the Annapolis Symphony Orchestra do Dvorak's 7th symphony. I think I always liked The New World better, but it was still very enjoyable. As was this

Well Done

Ron

Well done, indeed, Anthony.

As with others, I think I might have some concern over
    the relatively low dynamic range in a field show; but the
    arranging overall on it is quite lovely.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Anthony,

Very nice sounding work, goes well with the chosen instruments. You might want to shrink the overall dynamic range by bring the control setting for the piano dynamics up and the forte dynamics down using the expression editor. I do that in piece that have super wide dynamic ranges and it allows me to set the max level higher to raise the floor without clipping the higher levels.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Go Back to forum