• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Why do my samples sound muddy?

Why do my samples sound muddy?

I\'ve noticed that my samples are sounding a bit muddy.. I hadn\'t noticed it before, because my treble was turned up a bit. Now I\'ve set everything dead center so I\'m getting a completely unmodified sound. There\'s some kind of problem here for sure. When Maarten heard this clip, he said the horns sounded strange, not like the original recording.

I don\'t know if it\'s a hardware issue, or a software issue, or who knows what? I\'m providing two links here.. one is the raw clip, dumped from Sonar to WAV, then encoded to mp3, and the other was mastered with some EQ\'ing and a harmonic exciter. Does anyone have any ideas as to what\'s going on here?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Why do my samples sound muddy?

I don\'t think there\'s anything wrong with your raw clip. It sounds right to me. Adding a bit of highend, taking away some low mids is \"necessary\" on a lot of samples and I don\'t think SAM horns is an exception. I think it has to do with the nature of far mic\'ed recordings, which is also why you\'d often mix in a bit of spot mics to add some highend presence. I don\'t think it sounds muddy. But I often find myself taking out a bit in the low mids. Also, check your verb settings and see what the bass frequency multiplier is set to (if you have one), it could be adding too much verb at the low end.

Doesn\'t sound muddy to me either. Maybe it\'s your monitors. I also don\'t hear a great deal of difference between your two clips.

-- Martin

Wow, strange. The difference between those two for me is night and day. And that first clip sounds muddy in three situations: my speakers, headphones plugged directly into the sound card, and in my car.

Actually, I take that back.. with the headphones plugged directly into my card, it doesn\'t sound that bad really. I can tell the difference though, but it\'s much more subtle.

I\'m just trying to figure out how to deliver this WAV file when it\'s done. It\'s going to be on a PlayStation2 console.. and everyone has different types of speakers hooked up, but I figure if it sounds muddy on my consumer audio computer speakers, and in my car, then I should probably master it before releasing it.. that way it will sound crisp on nearly any speaker system when the game is being played.

I listened on my studio Event 20/20 monitors. I hear a difference, of course, betweeen the two- the horns seem to emerge from the percussion background on the mastered version.

I don\'t hear anything in the horns that I would call muddy on either version. The equalization seemed to give a little frequency separation, which often gives better definition to the sound. Anyway, sounds good!

Thanks.. I was just checking to make sure nothing is set up wrong in my sound card or in Giga. My dad seemed to think there was some kind of loss somewhere causing this.

At any rate, the mastered version definitely sounds better, so I\'ll just have to pipe everything through the mastering app.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Dallas, Texas

Originally posted by MDesigner:
    I figure if it sounds muddy on my consumer audio computer speakers, and in my car, then I should probably master it before releasing it.. that way it will sound crisp on nearly any speaker system when the game is being played.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'m not in the game biz, so I don\'t know what the mastering situation is. Personally, if I were mastering a game, I would want to run that process like any mix/mastering situation and hear all of the elements (voiceover, fx, music) in place before making too many decisions. You may not be a part of that process, but I\'ll bet somewhere on the team (unless it\'s a small/startup type operation) there\'s a final mix which marries up all the levels and EQ for the elements.

I would just provide the cleanest possible product.

If you are mixing on computer speakers, you should stop doing that immediately!! Get some monitors, maybe some little Mackie 624s. Mixing on computer speakers is never a good idea, because you simply won\'t hear the details in balance. Something that sounds in balance on monitors will translate effectively to systems large and small.

But I don\'t know if I would do any \"Mastering\" in the big-M sense, because at some point everything will need to be blended together and you will have already maximized your signals, dithered, etc. You\'d probably just want to make sure everything lives in the same general \"world\" and that the levels are all nice and hot but not slammed.

As I said, my experience is not in games, so this may not be all valid. I\'ll say this, though...If they\'re putting out games where the raw music tracks are what makes it onto the final mixed product, then I\'d have to wonder what kinds of people are making that decision. I would certainly not put out a product in that fashion. There\'s really no way to even make EQ or compression decisions for any of the elements until you hear them all working together.

I\'ve been told before to pick up some monitors.. trouble is, I don\'t have a lot of money. And now that I\'m unemployed, it\'s completely not an option. I\'m going to have to work with what I have. Once I land more gigs, I\'ll definitely invest in a pair of monitors.

Sam, I do think your mastered version sounds better than the raw one though! I don\'t think you overdid the production.

Yeah, there\'s no contest there, Simon [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] A bit of EQ\'ing helps, and I run it through a harmonic exciter, which brightens everything up, especially the horns. It also gives GOS a little more bite.

Go Back to forum