• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: A New Online Interactive Course: EXPLORING JAZZ ARRANGING by Chuck Israels

Orcas Island

A New Online Interactive Course: EXPLORING JAZZ ARRANGING by Chuck Israels

NOW ONLINE....

Using Garritan Jazz & Big Band
    by Chuck Israels

We are pleased to announce a free course that we will be offering on Northern Sounds forums! "Exploring Jazz Arranging" is an entire jazz arranging course based upon an interactive version of Chuck Israels' upcoming book. The inclusion of audio examples makes this ideal for all who want to learn about jazz arranging. Chuck Israels is a true jazz legend and there simply is no better source from whom to learn about jazz arranging.

This book is destined to be a classic. The superb quality of the text with its clarity and its wealth of information, coupled with the inline audio examples, truly makes this a uniquely worthwhile and extraordinary learning experience.

For the modern composer, it is essential to have a strong background in jazz theory, in addition to orchestration and traditional harmony and theory. This course encompasses a wealth of solid grounding and practical knowledge, clearly written and explained, all generously augmented with musical examples of melody, rhythm, harmony, form, writing for 2 voices, 3 voices, 4 or more voices, writing for full band, and much, much more.

This writing is already recognized for excellence as it is currently being used at Juilliard School of Music for their course in Jazz Arranging, and we are honored to present it to you here in this enhanced interactive edition.

Hear and See the Scores with Real-time Examples

In this revised internet edition, we provide the original text , with the added capability to hear the examples of Chuck Israel's works.

One of the the most effective ways to learn jazz is by listening, and simultaneously seeing it on the score. Live playback of the score examples imparts an added dimension, converying concepts far more clearly and immediately than simply viewing what's on a printed page.

The ability to see and hear various jazz arrangements of the different examples from Chuck Israel's text is invaluable; and books alone cannot provide this level of instruction.

Here is but one example of the many animated scores in the course:

Score References & Musical Examples Using JABB:

Click on Play Button below to Play from the Score

Course Structure - Community Learning and Self-Study

With this course you read about the various concepts and you watch and listen to the various animated score examples to understand the concepts. There will be online "professors", including Chuck Israels, who will share their expertise and help guide the discussions.

The "EXPLORING JAZZ ARRANGING Using the Garritan Jazz/Big Band Library" course will initially be offered on this forum only. A new lesson will be posted periodically. The lessons will be presented in the same systematic step-by-step approach as Chuck structured it in his book. A syllabus of this course is listed in the bottom of this post.

About Chuck Israels

Composer/arranger/bassist Chuck Israels is a recognized master musician in the world of jazz. He has worked with Billie Holiday, Benny Goodman, Coleman Hawkins, Stan Getz, Herbie Hancock, J.J. Johnson, John Coltrane, and dozens of others. He is well known for being the bassist with the Bill Evans Trio from 1961 through 1966 and for his pioneering accomplishments in Jazz Repertory as Director of the National Jazz Ensemble from 1973 to 1981. He is now the Director of Jazz Studies at Western Washington University.

Chuck is a guest composer/director with various jazz ensembles and has numerous recordings to his credit. Among Chuck's many recordings as a bassist, some outstanding ones include: Coltrane Time, with John Coltrane; My Point of View, with Herbie Hancock; Getz au Go-Go, with Stan Getz; and many recordings with the Bill Evans Trio, including The Town Hall Concert; The Second Trio; Trio '65; Live at the Trident; Time Remembered; and Live at Shelley's Manne Hole.

This online course would not have been possible without the help of other very talented and dedicated people. Many thanks to Roberto Soggetti who made all of the mp3 audio examples. Roberto used a special version of the Jazz and Big Band library that he modified. Thanks to Sean Hannifin for doing all of the Flash work so that the music follows the score. Thanks to Adina Cucicov for layout and formatting. And thanks to Mark Simon and Dave Burnett for hosting this course on Northern Sounds.

To offer such a jazz arranging course, written and presented by a jazz great -- plus present it with interactive real-time examples, and open the learning process into an online co-operative -- is truly something extraordinary!

This course is initially being offered free of charge and it is our way of giving back to the musical community. There will also be a text and DVD that will be available near the conclusion of this course.

I believe that education is more important than just products and we are committed to providing every musician the means to improve their knowledge and skills. I hope you will use the concepts taught in this course in your own music and that what you will learn here will greatly benefit you for years to come.

Gary Garritan

Course Syllabus
    (subject to change)
    Lesson 1 - Intro & Rhythm
    Lesson 2 - Bass Lines
    Lesson 3 - Bass Lines (Continued)
    Lesson 4 - Harmony
    Lesson 5 - Harmony (Continued)
    Lesson 6 - Form
    Lesson 7 - Form (Continued)
    Lesson 8 - Melody & Orchestration
    Lesson 9 - Melody & Orchestration (Continued)
    Lesson 10 - Melody & Orchestration (Continued)
    Lesson 11 - The Rhythm Section
    Lesson 12 - The Rhythm Section (Cont.)
    Lesson 13 - Writing for 2 Voices
    Lesson 14 - Writing for 3 Voices
    Lesson 15 - Writing for 4 or More Voices
    Lesson 16 - Writing for 4 or More Voices (Cont.)
    Lesson 17 - Writing for 4 or More Voices (Cont.)
    Lesson 18 - Writing for The Whole Band
    Lesson 19 - Writing for The Whole Band (Cont.)
    Lesson 20 - Writing for Singers

<!-- / message -->

Re: A New Online Interactive Course: EXPLORING JAZZ ARRANGING by Chuck Israels

--I almost fainted. This is tremendous news - And omg, that scrolling score with playback--Superb!

Excellent work, Gary, getting this together with legend Chuck Israels.

Now - Does ANything get better than this-??!!

Randy B.

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Dallas, TX

Thumbs up Re: A New Online Interactive Course: EXPLORING JAZZ ARRANGING by Chuck Israels

This is great! I will definitely attend. Thanks Gary and Chuck Israels and everyone who put this together.

Great example score btw, it stokes!

This looks incredible! I've been waiting for this one for a while as I have recently gotten into jazz, and this looks amazing! I will definitely be there!

This is going to be awesome. Thankyou everyone at Garritan and Chuck Israels for making this a reality.
    Anthony Abruscato

"There are only two types of music: Love Songs and Pirate Music"

HP Pavillion dv6171cl w/ Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, 2 GB Ram, 250 GB 5200 RPM HD + an external 300 GB HD. GPO, JABB, CAMB, Sibelius 5.1, Finale 2008a, and a demo copy of FL studio.

This will be a great resource! I've noticed a lack of big band tracks posted here despite the fact that so many people have JABB. I think a lot of 'classically' trained composers are at a loss when it comes to arranging, especially the rhythm section.

I have several of the big-name arranging books (Sebesky, Nestico, Garcia, Wright) and they're all $50 or more with CD. This looks like it will cover a lot of the standard material for free (at least I'm assuming it will be free, as the other Garritan tutorials have been).

I hope there will be some focus on rendering in JABB, in particular the rhythm section. I'm pretty good when it comes to writing for a live rhythm section, but I don't have the drum/bass/guitar chops to write realistic comping myself.

By the way -- your post indicates that the "Levitt or Leave It" score we're listening to is JABB. Can this possibly be true? If that is JABB, then I'm doing something wrong because I've never been able to get it to sound that authentic? I thought it was a live recording at first.

Imdefinitely doing this! Thankyou so much Gary for doing all this, you are a LEGEND!!!!

That mp3 example is using a specialy "modded" version of JABB yes? Any chance we can find out what was done to it to make it sound so flipping amazing?!(Its good already, but as chris thought. I too thought that was a live recording to start with!)

Thanks Gary and all those who are involved. Legends.

This is excellent!! Thanks to Gary, Chuck, and all involved in the production.

-- Ken

Go Back to forum