• Register
  • Help

Topic: Keyboard advice

Share/Bookmark

Keyboard advice

I'm looking for a keyboard with some nice orchestral sounds of its own, so I don't have to use the computer all the time. Any favorites out there?

So far I like the Yamaha Motif 6 (except, alas, the clarinet--my favorite instrument and the Achilles heel of any synthesizer). The Roland Complete Orchestra expansion board seems promising (actually has a good clarinet), but there aren't many samples on their web site. Anybody had experience with either of these?

Any rumors of a keyboard with fully sampled instruments? I wish Gary would go in with somebody!

Re: Keyboard advice

P.S.
    If there is the possibility of a Garritan keyboard, you don't have to spill the beans. Just say "Don't buy yet!"

Quote Originally Posted by danveach
    I'm looking for a keyboard with some nice orchestral sounds of its own, so I don't have to use the computer all the time. Any favorites out there?

So far I like the Yamaha Motif 6 (except, alas, the clarinet--my favorite instrument and the Achilles heel of any synthesizer). The Roland Complete Orchestra expansion board seems promising (actually has a good clarinet), but there aren't many samples on their web site. Anybody had experience with either of these?

Any rumors of a keyboard with fully sampled instruments? I wish Gary would go in with somebody!
    Would you settle for an external sound-module device?? Something to connect to a keyboard controller with fine quality orchestral sounds and that works dependably??

You may or may not know about this device. If you do, please accept my apologies for being redundant. . .

Check out the Receptor! (Click: The Receptor by Muse Research ) Basically, it's a "tour-grade" computer that houses VST sound library plug-ins like the GPO and JABB. Although it can be "connected" to a computer in a studio situation, it reliably provides the sounds from many different VST-based soft-synths and sound libraries during live performance situations. It's a glorified midi-based computer/sound module. Just connect this device to your keyboard controller via a regular midi cable and play your next gig with great sounds found on those computer-based plug-ins.

I have an older model (Muse Research now manufactures more powerful ones that can handle really huge sound libraries). It's an important part of my modest studio that I use to take the memory and cpu load off my computer when sequencing my modest compositional projects. However, I recently used it for the orchestral sounds (Garritan's GPO and JABB) for a live local theater production. It worked great connected to my M-Audio's Keystation Pro-88 keyboard controller.

This is just another option to think about. . . .

Good luck with your search and decision.

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Thanks, Ted! I hadn't been aware of this, and it looks like a very interesting option. There are actually Receptor plug-in versions of GPO and JABB already available for those who own the original programs. At $2,000+ this requires some thought, but it could well be the best way to go.

Go Back to forum