• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Kentucky Bluegrass- Dueling Banjo's

Kentucky Bluegrass- Dueling Banjo's

Hi all! Well, for those of you who are not aware, I just recently recovered from a heart attack and I'm doing much better. Following the doctor's orders and just taking it easy.

Before my heart attack, I stumbled upon this really great sounding banjo sample and I was so impressed with it, I thought I would try to go back to my Kentucky roots with some down home bluegrass. I grew up listening to ALOT of Flat & Scrubbs, the Carter Family etc. so I thought it would be nice to revisit my heratige a little. I do plan to do more bluegrass, originals of course, when time and health permits.

An important note though, I know NS is for compositions that use some GPO in them however, this particular arrangment does not feature any GPO instruments. All samples used are from my various soundfont collection, including this new banjo Sf2. I just thought it might be fun to post this and, if anyone has been searching for a good banjo sample, they can listen to this and get an idea. If anyone is interested in this sample and you would like to get your hands on it, it is a "free" download @ Hammersounds listed under the "Ethnic" catagory.

Hope you enjoy taking a trip to Bluegrass land.

Here is the link:

Jaker "Shaver"
    "A wrong note played timidly, is still a wrong note. A wrong note played with authority, is improvisation."

Re: Kentucky Bluegrass- Dueling Banjo's

Glad to hear you are feeling better.

Now squeel like a pig. Just kidding.

Neat soundfont and a great song!!

It is indeed nice to see you hanging around the forums.

A fun reminder of a great piece from a strange movie.

AH THIS is too great to see you here in The Listening Room, Jaker! - Everyone's going to be glad to see you here, putting up some music for us, - Things are looking goood!

Really nice rendition of "Dueling Banjos." Superb plucking - it has a well captured Bluegrass swing and all fer sure.

That Banjo SoundFont is pretty good! Recently I upgraded my Home Studio from 4 to 6 XL and a light version of Cakewalk's flagship soft synth came with it, Dimension Pro (LE) - and I discovered it has a great Banjo-I went hunting for one to go on a new project. So I'm set.

Fantastic job - And even more, a fantastic surprise to see you here. THANKS for showing up and for the music!

Randy B.

South of the Ohio River

Nice work.

What part of Kentucky do you hail from?* Bluegrass is fun to listen to and difficult to score. You did a nice job with this.

Renfro Valley, Bill Monroe, Flatt & Scruggs are all names that need to live on through their heritage they left us. Thanks for sharing.

*(Said another old Kentuckian.)
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Oh very nice to see you here again, Shaver!

And this song, hey man, I love it. 20 years ago I played the banjo part in a coverband. Sure, not as good as the original, but it was soooo fun and the people liked it very much to listen to.

You did a nice work on this, Shaver!

P.S. Thanks to reminder me with this to a very great time in my life!
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Great to see you back on the horse (or mule, as the
    case may be), Jaker!

Some darned handsome pickin' in this. Nice job!

My best,

Don't know why there are so many "banjo jokes" I loved it!!!
    Reminds me of George Formby (U.K. guy).

Well...it surrrrrrrrre feels GOOD to be back in the saddle everyone! I'm not back at 100% yet but, it will take time, which is what I have alot of right now just to relax and let things heal.

I'm originally from a VERY small country town called Blackmont, which is about 40 miles southeast of Hazzard. Yes, Hazzard Ky. as in "The dukes of Hazzard". So when someone says, "The hills of Kentucky" this is so far down in the hills, you have to lay on your back to see the sunshine...lol! But seriously, Blackmont, Hazzard, Black Mountain, and Hanging Rock, are 4 of the smallest coal mining towns all within 40 miles or less of one another. I currently live in Northern Kentucky, which is only 1 mile south of Cincinnati. I have lived here for 30 years.

Thanks for the feedback and listening; it's good to be back and listen to everyone's great compositions.

Jaker "Shaver"
    "A wrong note played timidly, is still a wrong note. A wrong note played with authority, is improvisation."

Penfield (Rochester), NY

Duke Shaver,

Woah....glad to hear you are on the mend and back in business cranking out music. This is very cool and a whole lott'a fun to listen to. Hopefully it's not getting you too overheated with all the fancy pick'g going on.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast