• Register
  • Help

Topic: Scherzo based on sketches for Beethoven's Tenth Symphony

Share/Bookmark

Scherzo based on sketches for Beethoven's Tenth Symphony

Among Beethoven's sketches for a thenth symphony from 1825 there are the opening 24 measures for a Scherzo (titled 'Presto') and 7 measure theme for a Trio as a middle part of the movement. This Scherzo theme is one of the most furious and powerful Scherzo themes I know, somewhat a mixture of the Scherzo themes of his fith symphony and Schummann's first symphony. I made an atttempt to develop these themes to a whole symphonic movement:

http://www.esnips.com/doc/d35514e7-9...hSymph-Scherzo

Listen to it with full volume!

Gerd

Re: Scherzo based on sketches for Beethoven's Tenth Symphony

After the first few bars of this I had to start it over a couple of times. It is the beginning to his 5th, just a tad different. Regardless had he continued I know it would have been a classic. But after the 9th, I don't know if he could have done anything better.

Nice take on the work of the master.

Well Done

Ron

Very interesting work, Gerd! I must say, it does take
    a certain amount of... courage... to go try to finish
    Beethoven's work for him!

It is a great shame, indeed, that Herr Beethoven never
    lived to complete this symphony. I really think he was
    just beginning to reach the heights of his compositional
    prowess with the Ninth.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

According to his self-proclaimed "friend and biographer" Schindler, Beethoven was to compose two two grand symphonies, each differ from other and would have made his previous works "opuscules" compared to the two. The first one became the ninth symphony. Whether or not Beethoven had started tenth symphony at all, it would still be interesting to hear what people can do with the sketches to piece together the music that has not yet been heard nor performed.

Hi Gerd,

Thanks for posting this. I agree with etLux that it takes courageto go try to finish Beethoven's work for him! It is so great that modern tools can bring the old masters to life.

These sketches are a great learning tool. I've listened to sketches of portions of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony that were discarded. The entire work could have gone in a different dirrection should he have went in the direction of one of these sketches.

I commend you for the work you are doing and thank you for sharing it.

All my best,

Gary

Gerd,

Great to hear the virtually unknown fragments of the master's work come to life. The continuations seems to fit well and work for me. Good use of the GPO instruments.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Thank you Gary,
    for your positive response. If you are interested I'd like to inform you about a website where the notes of the original sketches of the Scherzo are presented by me:

http://www.gerdprengel.de/symphony.html

(Other movement's I present on this page are not yet realisied by GPO but by the tool I used in the past. I hope to present all my compositions with GPO realisiations in the coming weeks).

Gerd

Dr. Barry Cooper was a lecturer of mine at Uni of Aberdeen. So anything about the "10th symphony" makes me perk up my ears!

Your work here (as well as his), regardless of how one may feel in the scholarly aspect of it, is nonetheless well worth the listen. An enjoyable piece in its own right.

Thanks for sharing this.

Owen

Ingenius, Gerd!

I really admire what you've done here. Exciting concept done very nicely!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

I am still experimenting with the proper Reverb in orchestral movements. What is the best degree of "Dry" and "Wet" in the Ambience Menue? On

http://www.esnips.com/web/candlelight

I have now additionally a new version with more reverb of my Scherzo. There you can compare the new and the old version. The new version is somewhat fuller and smoother but maybe some of the details of orchestration tend to get lost. May I ask you what you think is better? Would you please help me here since I am still fairly new in using GPO. Thanky you!

Gerd

Go Back to forum