• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Invasion of the Universe (completed)

Share/Bookmark

Invasion of the Universe (completed)

After 3 long months, I have finally completed my symphonic piece called Invasion of the Universe.

The main idea behind the piece involves why our universe is expanding at an ever increasing rate. Or in other words the universe is getting bigger and faster each day.

Occam's razor states:
    ...that the explanation of any phenomenon should make as few assumptions as possible, eliminating those that make no difference in the observable predictions of the explanatory hypothesis or theory. The principle is often expressed in Latin as the lex parsimoniae ("law of parsimony" or "law of succinctness"): "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem", or "entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity".

This is often paraphrased as "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best." In other words, when multiple competing theories are equal in other respects, the principle recommends selecting the theory that introduces the fewest assumptions and postulates the fewest entities.

Being a mathematician/composer and not an astro-physicist, I made up my own rules to explain the expanding universe.

Just as galaxies collide and change (the Andromeda galaxy is coming at the milky way at over 300,000 mph) so could Universes. If ours is being invaded right now, this could explain why we see ours expanding.

This piece can also be taken on a smaller scale with each of us being our own little universe being invaded by the people around us.

I started this piece back in August and have been working on it ever since. I first composed the 2nd movement which took about 10 hours. I then did the 3rd movement which took about 20 hours. Then came the 1st movement at around 30 hours, This last movement I began back in sept and I have over 70 hours of time invested in it. It is easily the most time I have ever spent on a piece.

This was composed in Sibelius, one note at a time using the mouse and then ran thru K2 with all GPO instruments. The percussion piece is the Marimba.

The machine gun of the timpani is a problem that I think is inherent with notation programs, well at least sibelius, as is the horrible legato in the strings.

Here is the last movement to be completed.
    The 4th movement

Box.net - Free Online File Storage, Internet File Sharing, Online Storage, Access Documents & Files Anywhere, Backup Data, Send Files

Here is the 1st Movement
    Box.net - Free Online File Storage, Internet File Sharing, Online Storage, Access Documents & Files Anywhere, Backup Data, Send Files

Here is the 2nd Movement

Here is the 3rd Movement

As usual, comments, suggestions and insults are requested and will be appreciated.

Ron

PS
    I want to publically thank Michael for all the support he has given me these past 3 months. I sent him many versions of each of these and with his guidance was able to chose the right path to take in this invasion.
    Thanks Michael!!!

I also want to thank Randy for givng me the technical support I so desperately needed.
    Thanks Randy!!!

Re: Invasion of the Universe (completed)

... your welcome.

AGAIN!,:

""Very nice! Ron.
    I listened all the way through. I liked the re-verb; gives each instrument a more robust "section" feeling.
    This is definitely a great accomplishment!

Now don't shy away from polishing your scores.

Great job Ron!""

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Hi, Ron - I'm glad you finally got this up for the Listening Room gang to hear. It's a mammoth project you should be proud of.

When we communicated by email, I was hoping more of the technical issues could have been ironed out, but this is the healthiest course of action - to just know that you've done the most you can with the limitations at hand, and play it for folks.

Having more Sibelius users give you tips could still be helpful, since I can only speculate in that area - not being a notation user.

For instance, I thought that I'd seen people licking the Legato problem successfully in Sib - or am I just imagining that?

But even if there are more techniques in Sib that you haven't learned yet, my main point is that in the meantime your remarkable piece is being presented in a much more than just "acceptable" way - It is So fine for now.

Congratulations!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

This is terrific, Ron!

Although wrapping my brain around the whole expansion of the universe thing was completely futile (kinda like trying to wrap a hot dog bun around a pig), I nonetheless had imagery of such an event dancing through my head. What I was most impressed with was that you didn't go for the big, cinematic, cataclysmic feel and effect -- in fact, this sounded very much like a dance, almost peaceful in a way. I could very easily hear this as a PBS Nova soundtrack, accompanying an episode on your subject matter.

You should be proud of this piece! It's imaginitive, creative, and very unique. Congratulations!

Danny

Randy

I have a couple of other tricks to try to get a true legato from sib. They can do it with their own samples, just not with GPO. I have decided though to go with Sonar home. Just have to wait until I get some money again.

Thanks for all your help with this and the nice comments.

Danny

I haven't had lunch yet (doing a take home test that is killing me), so a hot dog bun around a pig has me salivating right now.

I waver back and forth bewtween being a proud parent of this little baby and being aghast at the time involved (which is why this take home test is killing me).

Michael

You know how I feel and I will work on making these scores pretty!

Thanks again

Ron

Wow Ron, this is great. I’ve enjoyed the other movements, but this one is my favorite. Actually, I just went back and listened to them all again. What an achievement.
    Trent P. McDonald

First, let me say, this is really great. It is always a great feeling when one finishes a work of this scope, and when it sounds like this, the accomplishment is just that much better! Great Job! And I love the percussion in the 4th movement...well, I love any percussion...

You said insults, too, so here I go:

Your theory behind the expansion of our universe because of the addition of another universe (if i interpreted it correctly) is crap!

You said you are a math major, right? Well, even a person like me with a modest math background can proove that:

Say there is a vector field P+Q+R in space D. D is determined by the size of the specific universe, we will say from functions u,v, and w. So, obviously when you take the triple integral of partial x of P + the 2nd partial yy of Q + R from u1 to u2, v1 to v2, w1 to w2 dxdydz, you get <3drPQ,PdQR,RdxP> (please pardon the use of "d" in place of the partial symbol, as this keyboard is only so limited). now, keep that vector field in mind. Now, consider a curve C over another vector field <S,T>. when you take the line integral over this vector field parameterized as <S(t),T(t)> you get: the work done to get the chicken across the road. Now, when we consider the previously stated vector field: <3drPQ,PdQR,RdxP> and divide it by the work done to get the chicken across the road, it is clear that a universe can only collide given the fact that a chicken actually WANTS to get to the other side of the road. Well, using Clairout's theorem, it is obvious that a chicken is not capable of wanting anything. Therefore, because of this, universes can't collide. I'm glad I got that straightened out. Great music though!!!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Trent

After putting as much time into this as I did and then to have someone tell me it is great made my day!!!

Thank you for the listen and the great reply

Quote Originally Posted by sanyarem
    First, let me say, this is really great. It is always a great feeling when one finishes a work of this scope, and when it sounds like this, the accomplishment is just that much better! Great Job! And I love the percussion in the 4th movement...well, I love any percussion...

You said insults, too, so here I go:

Your theory behind the expansion of our universe because of the addition of another universe (if i interpreted it correctly) is crap!

You said you are a math major, right? Well, even a person like me with a modest math background can proove that:

Say there is a vector field P+Q+R in space D. D is determined by the size of the specific universe, we will say from functions u,v, and w. So, obviously when you take the triple integral of partial x of P + the 2nd partial yy of Q + R from u1 to u2, v1 to v2, w1 to w2 dxdydz, you get <3drPQ,PdQR,RdxP> (please pardon the use of "d" in place of the partial symbol, as this keyboard is only so limited). now, keep that vector field in mind. Now, consider a curve C over another vector field <S,T>. when you take the line integral over this vector field parameterized as <S(t),T(t)> you get: the work done to get the chicken across the road. Now, when we consider the previously stated vector field: <3drPQ,PdQR,RdxP> and divide it by the work done to get the chicken across the road, it is clear that a universe can only collide given the fact that a chicken actually WANTS to get to the other side of the road. Well, using Clairout's theorem, it is obvious that a chicken is not capable of wanting anything. Therefore, because of this, universes can't collide. I'm glad I got that straightened out. Great music though!!!
    sanyarem or Michael Right? (I am getting myself off of the floor now from ROFL)

First off thanks for the great comment. On bad days such as this it really helps!!

Next to your math.

Since you are from Georgia, I will take it easy on you.

If we are talking math using Einstein, then we can get away with only 3 functions, but should really use 4. Say U,V,W and Z. However if we are talking in the realms of the religion of string theory (which I was not) then we need a minimum of 10 functions.

However since this is my theory we need to be talking about 268 dimensions. Do you recognize the significance of 268? Doesn't matter.(New theories take a long time to be proved (prooved if you prefer). lol

In those 268 dimensions we have a explicit number of chickens trying to cross the road. But an indeterminate amount of them will make it safely across. Only time will tell. Since time is relative, my cousins will not get to eat chicken for supper. If you take the cross product of the functions in 268 dimensions and the number of chickens my cousins will not eat, take the 2nd derivative and solve for the max and mins, you will easily see that the vector space demands that we are being invaded just for our chickens. I think that should clearly show the missteaks in your math.

Just kidding about Georgia, it's a great state if your seeing it in the rear-view mirror. Again just kidding. It's great anywhere but the spaghetti junction north east of Atlanta.

Thanks again for the kind comments.

Now back to The Bolzano-Weierstrass Theorem (boring stuff)

Ron

Just listened to the 4th and 1st.

I seems pretty expansive to me. Probably more than this mortal can comprehend at the moment but I have it and will listen more fully later.

It's very pretty at times.

I read about that surfer dude who may have the Grand Unification Theory.

Phil

Phil

I read surfer dudes paper and am disappointed that it was not as simple as he claimed.

When Faraday united electricity and magnetism he did so with a few pretty equations. Einstein united energy and mass with one equation.

Surfer dude builds on an obscure paper with references to God only knows what. I have yet to read the paper he based his work on, due to lack of time.

It would just be nice if the grand unification theory was more like A=B/2 instead of vector spaces with way out there eigenvalues. Give it 5-10 years and we will know if he is right.

Thanks for the listen and the comments. Even though my music is rarely called "pretty" it is nice to know that occasionally I fit some pretty stuff in.

Thanks again

Ron

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast