• Register
  • Help

Topic: Best Bosendorfer? Opinions?

Share/Bookmark

Best Bosendorfer? Opinions?

Hello everyone,

I tried doing a search but its not working for some reason. I LOVE the sound of Bosendorfer pianos, and would like to achieve a realistic representation in sample form for preferably EXS format (though I own Kontakt as well). Anyone have any suggestions?

I see that sampletekk has two PMI Bosendorfers, PMI The Emperor & PMI Bosendorfer 290, both for the same price. Anyone know the differences between these two sample sets?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: Best Bosendorfer? Opinions?

Have a look at the VSL Bosie. I really don't like it, but I don't like Bosendorfers, so to me it sounds very realistic.

D

Ivory has an amazing bosend.

Best Boesendorfer? No doubt it´s Galaxy II. I had both PMI Boesendorfers and they can´t compare in terms of sound quality and performance.

And you get a decent Steinway and Bluethner for free

Regards
    Raindog

playability? The Galaxy

true-to-life sound? PMI Bos Wet (but then you have to put up with the "wetness" of it, which limits the uses you can put the sound to).

JG

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGrant
    playability? The Galaxy

true-to-life sound? PMI Bos Wet (but then you have to put up with the "wetness" of it, which limits the uses you can put the sound to).

JG
    Test the 1.1.0.1 update. Big performance improvement. It might be some tough work for a laptop though (if you use the internal -slow- harddisk).

The PMI Boesendorfer is still a great piano but it´s definitely not comparable to the Boesendorfer implanted in Galaxy II with all the adjustable noises, the extra bass samples, the adjustable timbre, soft pedal samples etc. If you´re playing life on a laptop you might consider it though (puts less stress on your system and did even work with my outdated powerbook)

The PMI Emperor does sound great it´s just not playable and still a work in progress.

best regards
    Raindog

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGrant
    playability? The Galaxy

JG
    I cant seem to find this PMI Bos Wet. Is it in Emperor or the PMI Bosendorfer 290, or something completely different?

Thanks everyone for your help / suggestions!!

Quote Originally Posted by JT3_Jon
    I cant seem to find this PMI Bos Wet. Is it in Emperor or the PMI Bosendorfer 290, or something completely different?

Thanks everyone for your help / suggestions!!

Part of the PMI Boesendorfer 290
    regards
    Raindog

Sorry, I'm not getting emails about replies (not sure why). Anyhow, at the links below are my strictly BACHY uses of the Bos wet. Indeed, the BOS wet with even MORE reverb added after the fact. Sort of the norm in many (although not all) solo classical piano recordings these days. Actually, I stick pretty much to the lower velocity layers with this piano, because I don't think the upper most layers are always that convincing. But then, I don't like most piano samples out there as far as REALISM is concerned. The only one in the Steinway dept that I can stand, at the moment, is the Black Grand ambient; although I admit that the Ivory mp3s, at least some of them, are pretty realistic-sounding. Ditto for the Milan Steinway.... it's pretty realistic.

But as I've said, "realistic" and "playable" are two quite different kettles of fish.

JG

Go Back to forum