• Register
  • Help

Topic: Kontakt, Jazz Band and Logic Express 8

Share/Bookmark

Kontakt, Jazz Band and Logic Express 8

Hi, guys. I've spent the last year or so writing books, so I haven't been around in a long while. But that hasn't kept me from my obsession with music and sampling in particular.

A few days ago, I took a leap and added a Mac to my studio arsenal, including a copy of Logic Express 8.

I'm basically a Nuendo guy, with ocassional trips into Sonar territory, but I have to say that I LOVE the new Logic. It is, hands down, one of the best DAWs I've ever worked with. The workflow seems so much more refined than either Nuendo or Sonar, the built in synths, drum machine and samples are top notch, and I think I may stick with it for awhile.

One problem I've encountered, however -- and, yes, I'm probably just a dummy -- is that after installing Kontakt 2 and Jazz Band, I have NO idea how to use them in conjunction with Logic Express 8.

8 comes with EXS24 built in and no native VSTi support, but after loading K and JB, I have to assume there's a way to call them up in Logic and I'm not finding it in the manual.

Between this and learning to navigate in the OSX world, I'm feeling a bit mentally challenged right now. So if anyone can give me a brief step by step on how to get this to work, I'll be enternally greatful.

rgb
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Re: Kontakt, Jazz Band and Logic Express 8

Hi, rgb

Writing books, cool!

Click on here:
    http://garritan.info/index.php/Logic_7

It is for Logic 7 and GPO, but i think it is still the same for 8, It will give KontaktPlayer2 as an instrument, then when the player opens, you can load any instruments you have on it including JABB.

Hope that helps
    David

Hi Rob-

One thing I've learned when installing NI products with Mac and Logic (L 7 with GPO, Akoustik Piano, and Strad in my case) is that you need to visit their website and download/ install the LATEST updates. These often don't ship on the CD's you've got. Until you do so, Logic won't be able to find the NI based samples. Once you're fully installed and registered, you open the NI interface just as you do the EXS24--going 'down' through the menues, you should now find Native Instruments, then Jazz Band. Also, be sure to install the AU files--Mac's don't recognize VST's.

Hope this helps.

Clay

Quote Originally Posted by claysf
    Hi Rob-

One thing I've learned when installing NI products with Mac and Logic (L 7 with GPO, Akoustik Piano, and Strad in my case) is that you need to visit their website and download/ install the LATEST updates. These often don't ship on the CD's you've got. Until you do so, Logic won't be able to find the NI based samples. Once you're fully installed and registered, you open the NI interface just as you do the EXS24--going 'down' through the menues, you should now find Native Instruments, then Jazz Band. Also, be sure to install the AU files--Mac's don't recognize VST's.

Hope this helps.

Clay
    Yeah, I have all my updates -- that wasn't the problem. I discovered that even though I had installed the Mac version of Kontakt that for some reason the AU files weren't included. I reinstalled, checking off only those files and lo and behold, they showed up in Logic.

What I've discovered with Kontakt, however, is that it can be a CPU hog (even in DFD mode), and Logic tends to stutter when I use it. I never had this problem with Nuendo (although loading Kontakt was extremely slow sometimes), so maybe it's a Mac thing.

Hopefully once I reinstall Jazz Band, I won't have those problems. I find JB to be less of a hog and a lot more stable than Kontakt.

I have to say again that Logic 8 is wonderful. The interface is different, extremely flexible, and recording is a true pleasure.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    St. Martin's Press

I find that both Kontakt and the Kontakt 2 Player are quite the memory hogs. Big Time! I have a MacPro 2.66 with 5 GB's RAM and upgraded to Logic Pro 8. I quickly use up the RAM for each individual instance of Kontakt 2 Player for either/both the GPO and JABB. This seems to be a commonly experienced problem discussed at various Apple/Logic Pro support forums. I think the trick is to not use individual instances of the Kontakt/Kontakt 2 Player. Now, with Logic Pro 8, it easier (although not as easy as other sequencer programs) to set-up one instance of Kontakt with multi-instruments. So, for example, if I set up 15 individual instances of the Kontakt 2 Player I can easily "eat" up 150 to 200 MG's per instrument. This is a LOT of RAM allocated for each individual instance! There doesn't seem to be as much RAM usage for one instance of the Kontakt 2 Player with 15 instruments. (I'm still experimenting, though, with this single instance/multi-instrument set-up.)

Interestingly, I don't have too much of a problem with CPU usage. I also have to say that, so far, my Logic Pro 8 is quite stable.
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Hi Rob,
    I perfectly agree with Efiebke: the most important thing to do is creating a multitimbral instrument (16 parts for GPO Kontakt Player 2). Then select Kontakt Player 2 on the instrument slot of the first available instrument. Consequently you'll find that each of the 16 tracks you created will be already assigned to the right Kontakt 2 Player channel. I have a G5 with 2.5 Gb RAM here and things runs smoothly enough in this way.

Hope it helps.

Best,

L.

Thanks, guys. I think I've got things squared away now. And the more I play on a Mac, the more I love it -- something I thought I'd never say...
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    St. Martin's Press

Rob! Welcome back!

I will soon be in posession of a (used) mac running Logic (v7) as well. I've been on Logic 5 on the PC and with transitioning to using primarily plug in instruments, I've hit a few brick walls that have forced me to switch.

My oldest son is looking forward to the new toys as well!

Rob

BTW congrats on your books!

Rob,

So good to see you here again. A lot has happened the past year.

Seems like a dream to be able to spend a year writing books. Did you write the Great American Novel? Would like to read what you have written and will be ordering from Amazon. St. Martin's Press is a good publisher and I wish you great success.

Logic is a very robust and creative tool. Seems like some of the forum folks have helped out. If you need more help let us know.

Looking forward to seeing more of you.

My best,

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum