• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Violin Concerto 3rd movement - improved?

Violin Concerto 3rd movement - improved?

Hi everyone. A while back I posted a three movement Violin Concerto. At the time, I felt the final movement needed further development - and one or two comments here supported this. So, I've introduced a more reflective secondary theme to contrast with the faster Celtic motifs - and I think this has improved the piece overall. Although it is part of a larger work, I haven't included the other movements because I think it can just as easliy stand alone. I would be grateful for any comments please.

Regards, Graham

PS I'm also working on a Viola Concerto which makes life a little confusing for those that have been following my efforts and providing helpful support!

Wilton, NH

Re: Violin Concerto 3rd movement - improved?

Hi Graham. I remember this, but my memory isn’t good enough to know what changes were made or which version is better. That being said, I very much enjoyed listening to this.

I saw on your MySpace site that several of your pieces may be played next year. That’s great. I hope the concerts go well.
    Trent P. McDonald

Penfield (Rochester), NY

This is a lovely work and I agree that it could stand alone. I can hear the contrasting slower theme that you mentioned and I like it very much. The overall work has a warm feeling to it, very enjoyable. Thanks for sharing it here.

I love the celtic theme in this and the subdued theme just enhances it.

well done

I like the enhancement of this a great deal, Graham;
    it adds a greater overall sense of dimension, balance
    and completeness to the thinking in the piece.

It is a fact in both life and in music that one thing
    is often better defined, explained, and understood
    by its juxtaposition against another...

All my best,

As I posted elsewhere, this is beautiful. I just need to learn how to read Violin, instead of Viola... The ending is very touching and elegaic; it really is the right way to bring the movement to a close.

Always a pleasure to hear your work.
    Ron Pearl

Shelton, Washington State

I'm not sure if I heard the original version but this is nice music.

I think I understand what you did and the result is an interesting and emotionally satisfying piece.

Thanks Trent, Gary, Ron (rolifer), David, Ron (Pearl) and Phil for all your kind comments. I'm pleased this has moved forward in the right direction. Thanks for your support and for giving this one a second spin through.

Regards, Graham

Very dynamic performance here Graham - I can tell a lot of work went into this!

Just think if Santa brought you the 2 solo instruments by Garritan (Strad & Gofriller) for Christmas. You would never look back!

Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

Very enjoyable, especially (for me) around the 4 minute mark. (Here speaks a Vaughan Williams fan.)

I didn't hear the previous version, but I like this one a lot.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast