• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Jethro Tull-like flute samples?

Share/Bookmark

Jethro Tull-like flute samples?

I have been retrograding into my past lately and have been listening to some Jethro Tull who were one of my favorite bands in the 70s. Does anyone know of a flute sample which can get that breathy, overblown sound that Ian Anderson used a lot?

Thanks!

Re: Jethro Tull-like flute samples?

Nope, but bear in mind that what Ian was actually doing often (as was Roland kirk, who he got it from) is singing into the microphone at the same time as playing. my guess is you could come up with a very interesting, and maybe close to Tull, sound by using a mix of :
    1. A good flute patch

2. Singing the same melody with something of a "comb-through-paper" sound

3. some extra breath.

might be worth a try.

Ian Anderson sang and played at the same time to get beat tones, but he also just plain overblows the notes at times. Westgate includes overblown samples in their Modular flute lib that can do the trick. There's not a ton of variation in them, so you should use them sparingly. Westgate also has a great legato patch, so you can do pull off the fast runs, such as in the break in Aqualung's "My God."

Jon,

Just for my further education, the solo in "We Used to Know" on "Stand Up" for instance - is that just overblown, or would he be singing also?

thx

Malcolm

Playing back the old analog tape inside my head, I recall overblowing and flutter tongue techniques. Westgate has a flutter tongue patch as well. Like the overblown samples, they're not very deep. Over use the effect and it will sound monotonous. Apply sparingly and it will spice things up nicely.

Thanks Jon. I got to play it back on good old-fashioned iTunes. i'd forgotten what a great album Stand Up was. 'Made me remember that there was a time when those guys were seriously cool - and they deserved it. Plus, he should have sued the Eagles - "Hotel California" is nothing more than "We Used to Know" set to a bad reggae beat...

Quote Originally Posted by mpmusicny
    Thanks Jon. I got to play it back on good old-fashioned iTunes. i'd forgotten what a great album Stand Up was...
    Ah, to be "Thick ...as a brick!"

Seen Tull live many times. Great show! Not as awesome as RUSH but...
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Well, if you're thinking about doing a new over-blown flute library, i suggest you call it "Locomotive Breath" - my gift to you...

Quote Originally Posted by mpmusicny
    "Locomotive Breath" - my gift to you...
    Awesome but doubtful it could be used. Maybe we could tackle this. Tari rocks with winds and I know Tull very well.
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bela D Media
    Ah, to be "Thick ...as a brick!"

Seen Tull live many times. Great show! Not as awesome as RUSH but...
    Actually gigged with Barry Barlow a couple of times and he was a fantastic drummer.

Go Back to forum