• Register
  • Help

Topic: How do you find out if a song is PD?

Share/Bookmark

How do you find out if a song is PD?

What is the best way to find out if a song is PD? Say you wanted to look up "Three Blind Mice." If you go to ASCAP, BMI, etc, you get TONS of registered titles for "Three Blind Mice." Do you have to contact each one to find out if their song is THE Three Blind Mice?

Re: How do you find out if a song is PD?

Thats a great question- would love to know the answer as well!

-Alex

I used to write cartoon music for Warner Brothers and Disney and I heard that WB had a list of PD tunes, though I never saw it. Have you tried (gulp) an internet search?

You are right that it's an issue. For example, "Happy Birthday" is PD for the music, but not, i hear, the lyrics. Nutty.
    Kind regards,

John
    www.johngrahammusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG
    I used to write cartoon music for Warner Brothers and Disney and I heard that WB had a list of PD tunes, though I never saw it. Have you tried (gulp) an internet search?

You are right that it's an issue. For example, "Happy Birthday" is PD for the music, but not, i hear, the lyrics. Nutty.
    I thought I read that "Happy Birthday" got special extension beyond the regular statutory time limits.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Check out this site http://www.pdinfo.com/list.htm

Anything written before 1922 is PD in the US. In other countries it is usually 70 after the death of the composer. You would have to check each country to find out the status of a song.
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by JT3_Jon
    What is the best way to find out if a song is PD?
    Record it and release it. If 3 lawyers come knocking down your door it was not public domain... next question please

Darren Von Losute III
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

For 2007, the current year for any work entering the public domain is 1923.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Go Back to forum