• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Far beyond the Stars (Filmmusic for an animation)

Share/Bookmark

Far beyond the Stars (Filmmusic for an animation)

Hi there,

I think it's a good idea to introduce myself since this is my first post. I'm a 20 years old german filmcomposer who wants to join the industry sooner or later. There isn't much practice or knowledge I got right now, I started composing one and a half year ago and I'm really anxious to learn more about orchestration and scoring. This seems to be the right place for that whatsoever.

Right now I'm working on an animation project called "Falling Star". And well... I'm not really allowed to gossip around regarding the storyline. I hope the Main Titles I wrote are enough to make people think of something.

Hope it's enjoyable, feedback is highly appreciated!

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=5729830&q=hi

Re: Far beyond the Stars (Filmmusic for an animation)

Very nice. Congratulations on a job well done. The melody is very clean and straightforward and the orchestration is lovely. Keep up the good work.
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Thanks Gary, I'm glad you liked it. Much appreciated!
    Filmmusic needs to be more than just convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny S.
    I think it's a good idea to introduce myself since this is my first post. I'm a 20 years old german filmcomposer who wants to join the industry sooner or later. There isn't much practice or knowledge I got right now, I started composing one and a half year ago and I'm really anxious to learn more about orchestration and scoring. This seems to be the right place for that whatsoever.
    Hi Denny,

welcome to this board and its great community.

I like your overall sound and you have a good sensibility for the melodic line of your work.

Since you asked: Writing accompaning lines and harmonies has much to do with note choice, and this choice means artistic decisions. These decisions can be cautious or daring, conventional or exotic, tame or spicy ... and everything inbetween. This is part of the great freedom we have as composers, so it is always a little problematic to critisize this from outside.

Nevertheless what I hear here is a rather conventional (but very nice) melody and structure paired with some unusual accompaning lines and harmonies. Which are not bad at all (I personally like unconventional harmony very much) but I would expect either a more daring melody with this sort of harmony decisions or a more conventional (in the sense of classical harmony) accompagnment to make it fit.

If Fabio happens to look into this thread, he could explain much better than me what I am trying to say. If not, maybe it would be a good idea to look him up and seek his advice.

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Denny, this sounds very nice to me. It does have that filmscore quality to it. Thanks for posting.
    -Jay

Denny:

I think you show excellent promise toward film composing.

Yes, your harmonies and orchestration are very traditional
    but, with a lot of study, you will be amazed at the speed
    you will progress toward your goal.

Your orchestral rendition with GPO was marvelous. You seem
    to have a very good command of your instruments at an early age.

Thank you for posting this piece and may we hear more from
    you in the near future. It's always nice to hear the music of
    young composers and what is going on in their minds and also
    how they project their ideas.

Great effort, Denny

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

As I sat down to listen to this piece I could imagine a storyline and I know this will sound great for your movie. You have some real talent and I wish you the best. I hope you continue to post here so we can enjoy your works to come.

Best of luck to you and congratulations!

Julie

Hi:
    You might consider changing out the piano for another inst. (s) in several places (maybe brass) and use more timp than bass drum. Nice use of cymb rl. ...A good choir sample may also add to the ethereral quality of the 6th chords. Good luck
    John

Hello, Denny - And a warm welcome to The Listening Room.

This sound quite impressive! It's surprising to read how new you are to composition.

This is lush, grand in a calm way, and has some very effective and pretty orchestration throughout.

It isn't especially adventuresome in its melody line, so is conventional in that sense, but I rather think this effect is what you had in mind.

I'm not quite sure why it was suggested you add a choir sample, since you already have a very good sounding choir in this.

It's a wonderful debut you've made here - Best of luck with the project!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

A pretty (if somewhat conventional) that could work well for the right animated story.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast