• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Combinations of different orchestra libs

Share/Bookmark

Combinations of different orchestra libs

I know everyone likes to think there is a definitive orchestral library collection but I have found mixing different ones allows me to get the most out of my libs as well as the best overall sound. This is what I use:

Legend:

EWQLSO- Platinum Pro XP
    VSL- Vienna SE (Standard & Extanded libs)
    MP- Miroslav Philharmonik
    HSO- HALion Symphony Orchestra

Piccolos (solo and groups)- VSL, HSO
    Flutes (solo and groups)- VSL
    Oboes (solo and groups)- VSL
    Clarinets (solo groups)- VSL
    Bassoons (solo)- VSL
    Bassoons (group)- EWQLSO
    Contrabassoons- (s & G)- EWQLSO

Trumpet solo- VSL
    Trumpet group- EWQLSO
    Horns solo & group- EWQLSO and VSL (for Epic Horn legato)
    Tenor Trombones- EWQLSO
    Bass Trombones- EWQLSO
    Tuba- EWQLSO
    Wagner Tuba- EWQLSO

Percussion Tuned- EWQLSO + VSL + HSO
    Percussion Non-Pitched- EWQLSO
    Harp- VSL
    Piano- EWQLSO or VSL (depends)
    Timp- EWQLSO

Violin solo- VSL
    Violins, Violas, Celli, Bass group legato- HSO, VSL, EWQLSO, MP
    Violins, Violas, Celli, Bass groupshort attack- HSO, VSL, EWQLSO
    String Effects- EWQLSO

at least that's some of the break down.

Re: Combinations of different orchestra libs

How do you compensate for the wet/mic positions of EWQL and the dry quality of Vienna?

I use EWQL/Platinum and find that Sam Brass and Sam Strike complement quite well, but find that the VSL libraries I have (only in the Kontakt library) never quite fit in the same space.
    "International Award Winning Arabic Fusion"
    www.ajmusiconline.com

2xMac Pro 2.66, OS 10.4.9,Pro Tools 7.4.8,Waves Plat,Altiverb
    4xVisionDaw PC,NI Komplete, All Play 1.2.5 Libraries

Nice combination there Davecos. I'd be really interested to hear what plugins you use... they're almost as important.

I've got to say that I use different libs depending on context.

Epic score for computer game ... gotta use East West. If nothing else, the client will probably be expecting this kind of sound.

My current 'default' setup (which is always changing) is: -

Woodwind: WIVI and Westgate Modular for the most part. Sometimes supplemented by VSL Horizon stuff (Woodwind ensembles and French Oboe).

Brass: WIVI and Project SAM Orchestral Brass with a touch of Westgate Horns. Although I do have VSL Epic Horns I'm not that big a fan of the sound (unlike the entire rest of the world it seems...) so I rarely use them. Sometimes use EW for certain specific sounds. WIVI trumpet is definitely my fave at the moment though.

Percussion: Mostly Project SAM True Strike 1 and 2. Occasionally add stuff from Storm Drum or RA. I'm using Opus 1 or EW for harp sounds but I'll be buying the Westgate Harp when it comes out. Piano is Virtual Vintage.

Strings: Ah, the ever important strings. Generally a huge mixture of things depending on sound. Sonic Implants Symphonic Strings are often my main section but I'll generally combine them with other libraries such as VSL (Opus 1/Chamber Strings/Solo Strings) for violins and EW for the lower strings. Dan Dean Solo Strings Advanced are great and mix well on top of nearly every other library so I use those a lot. I've just bought Garritan Stradivarius so I may be adding that into the mix soon as well (although I've recently befriended a violinist so I may just add real violins in as well!)

I'm using Altiverb and Pristine Space for convolution reverbs, Waves S1 for panning and PSP Neon for EQ.

My library mixture:

Strings: Sonic Implants mostly. For additional body I sometimes mix with Emerald legato. For staccatos, especially cello and bass, I often like the close-mic dry sound of VSL-Giga-Symphony that comes with Giga 3, gives that nice cutting bass sound.

Brass: Sonic Implants again. I have SAM but don't use it much, except for solos - I turn to SAM solo sessions as it has solos with less attack than SI and sometimes I don't want the sharp attack. I have Epic Horns as well like the previous poster and don't use it either because of the sound. The SI 6 horns patch sounds much more realistic than the VSL Epic Horns and gives the similar sense of size.

Percussion: ProjectSAM True Strike. It's wonderful.

Woodwinds: Westgate Modular Series plus sometimes VSL-Giga-Symphony. I plan to upgrade to the full blown SI orchestra which includes winds to improve things in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by dubaifox
    How do you compensate for the wet/mic positions of EWQL and the dry quality of Vienna?
    Altiverb placement options work like magic for that sort of thing, though I find myself using VSL patches specifically when I want the close-mic sound.

Quote Originally Posted by dalek3
    Percussion: ProjectSAM True Strike. It's wonderful.
    I really love the sounds too, but does anyone else struggle with some of the velocity switches? It seems like there are only 4 and the difference between the mf sample and F sample is HHUUGGEE!!!!!

Sometimes unusable, especially in the cymbals and timpani.
    "International Award Winning Arabic Fusion"
    www.ajmusiconline.com

2xMac Pro 2.66, OS 10.4.9,Pro Tools 7.4.8,Waves Plat,Altiverb
    4xVisionDaw PC,NI Komplete, All Play 1.2.5 Libraries

Here's where mine is at the moment (it's still evolving):

Woodwinds; a mixture of Westgate (for principal players) and GPO (for second chair players, and also sometimes for lines which double strings, etc.).

Horns; Westgate and SAM
    Trumpets; Vienna Kontakt Library
    (I haven't needed trombones or tuba for a while, so I'm reserving judgement for now.)

Percussion: True Strike

Harp; Vienna

Strings; Vienna Chamber Strings, layered with Garritan Strad & Gofriller, and several solo strings from GPO.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

On a budget here, but slowly sinking into the abyss...

Strings: Vienna (from Kontact), VSL Chamber strings and solo strings, and some Emerald (chamber strings for more aggressive attacks, sordino strings and the keyswitched solo violin and viola patches). Also Garritan Strad.

Brass: VSL and Colossus (nice effects), as well as some Garritan.

WW: VSL and Garritan.

Harps: Garritan
    Percussion: Kontact library (orchestral and prepared pianos) and Colossus.
    Reverb: Wizoo (best bang for buck at the time)

Quote Originally Posted by dubaifox
    I really love the sounds too, but does anyone else struggle with some of the velocity switches? It seems like there are only 4 and the difference between the mf sample and F sample is HHUUGGEE!!!!!

Sometimes unusable, especially in the cymbals and timpani.
    i suffer from the same problem as well. I wondered how you guys get around this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by PROTOOLSGUY
    i suffer from the same problem as well. I wondered how you guys get around this issue.
    I've surely noticed that with the Starter Edition, thought it would just happened there and not with the whole library with all its layers.

Go Back to forum