• Help
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: How to make Samples More Affordable for Artist/Composers

Share/Bookmark

How to make Samples More Affordable for Artist/Composers

Re: How to make Samples More Affordable for Artist/Composers

What about sample renting?

I think that samples are already very affordable. Certainly cheaper than hiring players every time you want to record some of your music.

D

Not sure about renting, Alan but it's an interesting idea.
    Obviously the main concern there would be piracy.

As far as downloading is concerned; making available seperate sections perhaps like brass, strings so on. I think this is a good idea. KHSO already does it but not by means of downloading. Perhaps it will become more popular, it's certainly a way to make things more affordable and hence, reduce piracy.

Overall though, I must say this.

The cost of libraries IMHO are NOT overpriced at all. If you want $75 releases, they're out there. There's a reason why the leading libraries cost a lot, quality. You get what you pay for.

But it would be nice to be able to download say VSL woodwinds in 2 or three stages.
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

Quote Originally Posted by Pfraser
    This is true, samples are pretty well priced as it is but I'm thinking more for people starting out, "hobbiests", etc.
    GPO fits this description to a tee!
    "International Award Winning Arabic Fusion"
    www.ajmusiconline.com

2xMac Pro 2.66, OS 10.4.9,Pro Tools 7.4.8,Waves Plat,Altiverb
    4xVisionDaw PC,NI Komplete, All Play 1.2.5 Libraries

Talking Re: How to make Samples More Affordable for Artist/Composers

Quote Originally Posted by dubaifox
    GPO fits this description to a tee!
    I was going to say that. Very true.
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

I dont think sample libs are that expensive, remember what people used to pay for the workstations and hardware 10 years ago..., or even today.

Even just some years ago, i remember payin like 1500 USD for a brand new Korg Ms2000r (serial number 130 btw lol hehe) or even , hmf..dear i say it...
    4.000 USD for a new Akai z8 with all expansions and haha, 512 mb ram.

The problem is , that everybody cant have everything, wich was fine and accepted when we were dealing with hardware, if you didnt have the cash, you respected the fact that it was out of range ...or maybe set a goal to earn that money and buy it in the future.

It seems to me pople dont have any respect for digital products, and see them as cheap and of less value then hardware, hence thinking they are entitled to have everything the "pros" have becouse its only software.

I dont think VSL and its like SHould be more affordable or available to everybody.
    part of being a "pro" musician is having the budgets to buy good gear, making investments in better technology and getting better results, and all in due time as a result of maybe years of hard work and talent.

Why should the same be available to everybody with just a mouse click?
    Work for it, and you can get things that are better and better as you go along.
    Make a few good invstements, and learn to use them proper.

Now, im not a rich man, but i have 10 years experience as a pro recording artist, and im 29 years now.
    And i have always invested my earnings in the future, in guitars, amps and synths, and now...in software.

So im not some wealthy established old guy, but i think that this is a nice princible to adhere to.
    ...i dont like this "grab what you can" culture towards digital media, it is a much wiser investement at an early point in your career to learn how to be good in your field, and master your tools before spening substansial amounts of money on software or hardware.

And you dont get to be good just from having cheaper pro gear available, actualy i think its quite the opposite.
    Dont worry about it, get some budget oriented things first,(GPO, KH Saphire, etc.)

...and you wont be sounding like Danny Elfman even if you have Vsl or whathaveyou, actualy quite few will ever be THAT good even with all the software in the world.

There is always something better and more expensive out there .

tas my 3.99 budget cents anyway.

I think Pzy-Clone has some very sage advice there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfraser
    This is true, samples are pretty well priced as it is but I'm thinking more for people starting out, "hobbiests", etc. Obviously someone who is relatively succesful as a composer will have no problem affording to just buy the whole set.
    Isn't that like saying indie film directors should be able to buy 35mm film cameras cheaply 'cos they can only afford DV?

It's a silly sentiment, in my opinion.

Sample libraries are generally fairly priced. You're getting a decent (library-dependent) approximation of a symphony orchestra, and the licence to use those sounds on pretty much anything, including stuff that makes you money. You pay once for the library, and never have to pay again.

Compare that with paying for a real orchestra. When you look at the price of an orchestral recording session, £2grand is cheap in comparison.

Just because people can't afford certain sample libraries doesn't mean there should be an obligation to provide them at a special price. Educational discounts on music stuff are very generous, and a great idea.
    Beyond that, there are decent orchestral libraries (Jam pack/GPO/EWQL Silver) at very low prices. If you save up, or make money from composing, then there are bigger and better options.
    Also - orchestral sounds aren't the be-all and end-all of composing. Not having much cash to splash on musical toys means you can get creative with twisting and augmenting things you can afford, like your voice. There are hundreds of free vst/Au instruments available, many of which are worthy of hefty prices. Don't be limited by a lack of resources - instead try seeing it as a creative challenge.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast