• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Prelude in eb minor

Share/Bookmark

Prelude in eb minor

Here is my latest prelude, the Prelude in Eb Minor.

In some ways I wanted this to start almost like the last one (Gb Major) but more so. One thing: of the bunch I think this is the most diatonic – very few chromatic notes.

Here are the preludes to this point. (A little note – remember that I am doing a circle like this (cap=major, lower=minor) – C-a-D-b-E-c#-Gb-eb-Ab-f-Bb-g - Eb-c-F-d-G-e-A-f#-B-g#-Db-bb )

1 – Prelude in C
    2 - Prelude in a minor
    3 – Prelude in D
    4 – Prelude in b minor
    5 – Prelude in E
    6 - Prelude in c# minor
    7 – Prelude in Gb Major
    8 – Prelude in eb minor

13 – Prelude in Eb
    14 – Prelude in c minor

People paying close attention may remember prelude 13 in Eb as the piano version of my Challenge 13 entry. Shortly after writing it I was listening to Debussy’s Preludes and was struck be how much my piece seemed to fit in, especially with Book 2 of his Preludes. This prelude also seems to start in (which is the expected key in my circle) yet ends in Eb – I think it makes a good transition between the 2 halves of this.

Any comments, good, bad or ugly, are welcome.
    Trent P. McDonald

Re: Prelude in eb minor

Trent,

This is, in my opinion, your best yet and I'll be the first to congratulate you. I like the sustained notes and resulting harmonies and it is overall a good concept. Dramatic too...
    Rendalli

Quote Originally Posted by rendalli
    Trent,

This is, in my opinion, your best yet and I'll be the first to congratulate you. I like the sustained notes and resulting harmonies and it is overall a good concept. Dramatic too...
    Hi Rendalli. Thanks for your kind comments. I was experimenting with different sevenths in the minor scale and liked the way they sounded together which gave me the first chord. This wrote itself from there – I think this came quicker than any of the others. And yes, i was looking for a little drama....

Thanks for listening and for your comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

Wow! - The outburst really took me by surprise; not sure if it worked for me. I love the contemplative nature of the opening figure, and the mood it sets...perhaps if it came back? Then again, given the fleeting nature of these preludes, the sudden violence may not be so jarring in the big picture. I'll have to do more listening...

The Debussy influence is strong, but these are nonetheless your own works. And what a great model, eh?

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Trent

Cool

I also think this one is the best so far. I really liked the fast interlude in the middle. I'd actually would like to see it expanded just a little.

Well done

Ron

Well handled dynamics in the opening of this; and
    the use of carried, sustained notes is very effective.

Then that frenetic explosion! Nice writing in that,
    Trent.

The one area I think I might give a little more thought
    to is the transition from A to B. To my ear, I'd like to
    hear at least some manner of connection, even if
    only a couple of percussive chords to bridge the distance
    and assure us we're still in the same piece.

Nice work once again, Trent. Keep it coming!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Real nice piano work.

The change was also a little jarring to me but after I listened to it a few more times my ear accepted it.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    Wow! - The outburst really took me by surprise; not sure if it worked for me. I love the contemplative nature of the opening figure, and the mood it sets...perhaps if it came back? Then again, given the fleeting nature of these preludes, the sudden violence may not be so jarring in the big picture. I'll have to do more listening...

The Debussy influence is strong, but these are nonetheless your own works. And what a great model, eh?

All the best,
    Yea, Ron, I tried to hide a few surprises in there, some subtle and …. well, I guess you found the most un-subtle one. The original theme comes back almost exactly note for note, but I think the mood is upset a little by the outburst.

I haven’t been consciously trying to sound like Debussy, but I’ve been listening to his music a lot lately and has to have an influence.

Thanks for listening and for your comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    Trent

Cool

I also think this one is the best so far. I really liked the fast interlude in the middle. I'd actually would like to see it expanded just a little.

Well done

Ron
    Hi Ron (two Ron'as in a row). I think if the “outburst” were any longer I’d have to make it a lot longer. As it is now, after recovering from the jolt and right when you think you have your bearings, it’s gone again. (I'm not sure yet, and don't quote me on it, but don't be surprised if the next minor prelude is on the violent side, kind of like this little outburst....)

Thanks for taking the time to listen and for your comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Well handled dynamics in the opening of this; and
    the use of carried, sustained notes is very effective.

Then that frenetic explosion! Nice writing in that,
    Trent.

The one area I think I might give a little more thought
    to is the transition from A to B. To my ear, I'd like to
    hear at least some manner of connection, even if
    only a couple of percussive chords to bridge the distance
    and assure us we're still in the same piece.

Nice work once again, Trent. Keep it coming!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Hi David. I don’t know. I kind of like having it as a jolt. Also, strange as it may sound, the first chord of the B (hmm, I think I like “outburst” better than “B”, though “frenetic explosion” is also good ) section resolves the end of the A. The harmonic language in the two sections is very similar (obviously more compressed in “B”!). I might change a note to make the “resolution” a little more obvious.

Thanks for listening and for your comments and suggestions.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast