• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO Studio: No Garrian Libraries Found!

Share/Bookmark

GPO Studio: No Garrian Libraries Found!

I have an issue. I installed the GPO Library and then GPO Studio, but when I launch GPO Studio, it says, "No Garritan Libraries Found!" What gives? It's essentially a clean install of both, and I don't want to reinstall because (if I understand this correctly) I only get two installs.

I installed GPO to only be able to use it as a VST plugin. Might that pe part of the reason?

Re: GPO Studio: No Garrian Libraries Found!

Hey mastermind,

No, that shouldn't be it. GPO Studio is a stipped down multi-VST host. Are you running the Kontakt Player 1 or Kontakt Player 2 version?

Also, if KP1, can you open up the Garritan Personal Orchestra in standalone mode, or did you not install this?

Has the library been authorized yet through NI Service Center?

(BTW you get multiple installs on the same machine. Your license is for two machines running GPO simultaneously. Quite less draconian than your original thought )

I bought GPO less than two weeks ago. I have K2 Player, the one that came on the DVD (version 2.2.3.003, to be exact), and the standalone library in the player works fine. It has also been fully authorized through the service center.

I installed everything in its default directory (don't know if that can have anything to do with it). I would expect to be able to at least tell GPO Studio where the library is, but it doesn't have the option.

Is it possible to use the library without going through GPO Studio (although I'd prefer to not have to do that)? Maybe C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Kontakt Player 2\VSTPlugins\KontaktPlayer2.dll?

Also, what's the deal with all these websites saying that GPO comes with GenieSoft Overture LE? It definitely didn't come on my DVD. I'm a "bit" bummed out, too (only couple hundred more $$ that I need to spend now...). I'm a college student who doesn't even intend to use GPO to make any money (more of a hobby thing) and I can't even use the library when I thought it would come with everything I need.

Oh! Okay!

In that case:

Firstoff, welcome to the community!

Secondly, KP2 can communicate with other programs via midi. You will need to download a free tool to let it do so though. It's called MIDI Yoke, it creates virtual midi cables you can route between applications, and it's available here.

GPO Studio is obsolete with the advent of KP2. Studio will load GPO and JABB versions 1 only and was designed as an early bridge for notation programs. The new versions of the flagship notation apps integrate support for Garritan products.

As for the lack of Overture products, I believe the price change from the original version (at $250) to version 2 (at $200) reflects the removal of that include. But don't be discouraged! There are freeware score editor programs (and sequencers) out there that will work with KP2 standalone or even load it as a VST. Offhand I can't give you any names for notation, but a good uncrippled shareware sequencer is called Reaper.

Hope this helps,
    Reegs

Wow, thank you. Glad to know some of these things. So the whole 64-instrument limit doesn't apply anymore?

As for free sequencers, there is a web page on www.kvraudio.com that has links to a few free sequencers (one with scoring, but it's quite poor I think), and I've tried two so far but haven't quite found anything I like. I tried one called "Temper" and another one called "Music Studio Producer". I guess I'll keep trying. Maybe I can find something. I really wish that some of those Linux-only programs were made for Windows as well (they seem to be the better programs).

Again, thank you for clearing this up for me. Although, I would much rather have paid an extra $50 for a notation program worth a couple hundred dollars on its own.

What do you mean by "flagship notation apps"?

Hello:

I am a new user as well...and I downloaded Midi Yoke and installed it. I have Kontakt 2 Player and GPO v3. For some reason it still isn't working. I don't know a whole lot about all this! What am I not doing/doing wrong?

Thank you,
    RF

Quote Originally Posted by mastermind3001
    Wow, thank you. Glad to know some of these things. So the whole 64-instrument limit doesn't apply anymore?
    Happy to help! The 64-instrument limit does still apply, although it is handled a bit differently. KP2 standalone only supports 64 midi input channels. You'll notice that you have tabs for slots 1-16, 17-32, 33-48, and 49-64. Each slot's input can be assigned to one of sixteen midi channels on a port. KP2 can do four of these ports, denoted A through D.

What they are depends on what you have selected on the midi input tab of the setup window (under File). The first four selected/enabled midi inputs in the list will be assigned, in order, ports A through D.

Now for VST operation inside of a host, KP2 acts a little differently. It will only accept and output 16 midi channels from a single port. This has to do with VST spec and host communication more than anything else however.

As for free sequencers, there is a web page on www.kvraudio.com that has links to a few free sequencers (one with scoring, but it's quite poor I think), and I've tried two so far but haven't quite found anything I like. I tried one called "Temper" and another one called "Music Studio Producer". I guess I'll keep trying. Maybe I can find something. I really wish that some of those Linux-only programs were made for Windows as well (they seem to be the better programs).
    Yes, there are some nice Linux score programs out there! Have you checked out Allegro from Makemusic though? It does cost a little money, but has basic notation features, which may be all you need. Sibelius Student Edition may also work well for what you want to do, as would Score Writer.

Again, thank you for clearing this up for me. Although, I would much rather have paid an extra $50 for a notation program worth a couple hundred dollars on its own.

What do you mean by "flagship notation apps"?
    The professional, flagship notation applications are Sibelius, Finale, and Overture. The programs I've mentioned above are their watered down brothers and sisters.

Quote Originally Posted by amerweb
    Hello:

I am a new user as well...and I downloaded Midi Yoke and installed it. I have Kontakt 2 Player and GPO v3. For some reason it still isn't working. I don't know a whole lot about all this! What am I not doing/doing wrong?
    Hi amerweb and welcome!

Check to see that you've enabled midi input in KP2 from midi yoke in the midi setup dialog as I mentioned above. Also check to see that the outputs from the sequencer or notation program you're using are going to the right midi ports. (If you're running a sequencer you should run KP2 as a VST inside it). If these are all functioning properly you should see little flashes on the midi indicator light of a loaded GPO instrument as midi data is received by KP2 and processed. You may not hear audio if your modwheel data is at 0. Remember to move the modwheel around to produce dynamics!
    Let us know if you're still having trouble.

Best,
    Reegs

Thanks again. I got my hopes up when I enabled all 16 ports in Midi-Yoke (x16 channels/port), not realizing that GPO can only use four of them. Looks like I'll need to do some tinkering since I like to put an orchestra together player by player (I have 2 GB RAM), and I'll easily go over 64 once I start using strings since I don't like the section samples.

I also tried Temper yesterday, and it seems to fit my needs for the moment. I can live with a piano roll, if it works and is decent.

GPO sounds beautiful. I can't even imagine how they fit so much sample information into so little RAM.

Tom Hopkins is the man to ask.

Can I ask one more question? Is there any way to use Garritan Ambience when using Kontakt Player through virtual MIDI cables?

Go Back to forum