• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Horn Sections ala VSTi

Share/Bookmark

Horn Sections ala VSTi

Well it's been a year almost, and I have been using sample based VSTi's for my live work w/o one hiccup.

My dilemma is that I have satisfactory libraries from GS3 that I use in GVI along with a few new VSTi's that are instrument specific like Scarbee's Rhodes, Wurly, and D6. My SISS strings are mixed w/ Melotron samples to incorporate them better into the stlyes I perfrom, but I must get VSL Strings, so that appears to be covered.

But my horns are O.K. from mixing several libraries together, but I really need a quality Horn section in a VSTi, as I am sure there has to be better options now. I currently mix First Call, QL Brass, Screaming Trumpets, and some of the Muse stuff together, hence the need for a good VSTi.

I am performing styles where Maynard, BS & Tears, Bill Chase, etc. Broadway BB is excellent, but not what I am looking for at this time, especially since it costs 2 large USD.

I need Bari Sax's, Tenors, and Alto's. Trombones and Trumpets.

The Screaming Trumpets Library will still be used unless there is a Lead Trumpet that sounds that good. Even though it's a GSI, it has a great over the top solo capability.

Thanks For Any Advice.
    JimmyV

Re: Horn Sections ala VSTi

I would highly recommend WIVI.

Saxes aren't ready yet but once they this will make a killer jazz horn section. With polyphonic mode you can even play the whole trumpets/trombones/saxes in one go with two hands on the keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by scope4live
    Well it's been a year almost, and I have been using sample based VSTi's for my live work w/o one hiccup.

My dilemma is that I have satisfactory libraries from GS3 that I use in GVI along with a few new VSTi's that are instrument specific like Scarbee's Rhodes, Wurly, and D6. My SISS strings are mixed w/ Melotron samples to incorporate them better into the stlyes I perfrom, but I must get VSL Strings, so that appears to be covered.

But my horns are O.K. from mixing several libraries together, but I really need a quality Horn section in a VSTi, as I am sure there has to be better options now. I currently mix First Call, QL Brass, Screaming Trumpets, and some of the Muse stuff together, hence the need for a good VSTi.
    I am performing styles where Maynard, BS & Tears, Bill Chase, etc. Broadway BB is excellent, but not what I am looking for at this time, especially since it costs 2 large USD.
    I need Bari Sax's, Tenors, and Alto's. Trombones and Trumpets.
    The Screaming Trumpets Library will still be used unless there is a Lead Trumpet that sounds that good. Even though it's a GSI, it has a great over the top solo capability.
    Thanks For Any Advice.
    Take a peek at Yellow Tools for saxes. I've heard it and am impressed. Gonna get it myself soon as I take care of more pressing issues, like getting more out of this system or buying a new one. Take care.
    -Rajay
    Sonar6PE,GS3Orch,GVI,Reason3.0,Batt.3,StylusRMX w/Exp,Trilogy,B4ll,VGuitar2,TranslatorPro,CoolEditPr o2.1, K2500XL,2xIBMM51P4530HT/80GBSATA/3GBDDR/350watts,2xWD149GBFW,Delta1010,MidiTimepieceAV,2x1 604,20/20,on & on..........

Broadway Big Band is in a league by itself for this IMHO.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

In a live setting I would guess that Wivi would be more stable, easier to use and expressive than a sample library. As mentioned before, the saxes are still in the making but they are expected in the next 1-3 months.
    Best regards,

Little Red King
    http://luridcactus.com/MusicPage.html

Quote Originally Posted by Little Red King
    In a live setting I would guess that Wivi would be more stable, easier to use and expressive than a sample library.
    Depends on how you program the sample library. It can be done in numerous ways.

Thanks 4 The Replies,

I am looking for something where Shakes, Swells, Falls, similar to First Call from BFA.

I have programmed a decent section via GS3 already, and transferred it to GVI. But I am sure there is something better.

I agree BBB is a great sounding VSTi, I heard it in use live, but it was also playing with rendered tracks in Cubase. I prefer improv myself, but the player explained that his whole DAW had to be used to pull this off.

I need the articulations I described above. WIVI looks really nice, but isn't that more Orchestral? I won't be attempting any Adolf Herseth, or Pines Of Rome at my gig, more like sections ala Maynard, or Bill Chase.

BTW, Screaming Trumpets sounds really nice over the top, and gives one a real great solo w/ the comp holding crescendos and swells.

Anyone here tried Chris Hein Horns? I just found out about that one but demos are decieving. They fail to explain how many takes were needed, etc.

Thanks For The Replies,

I Shall Continue My Quest.
    JimmyV

I am in the same boat as you and use all of these libraries extensively for jazz arrangements. I too like the way First Call lies, but the sounds don't have the punch I would like, although I frequently use the muted libraries since Chris Hein does not have muted brass. For open trumpet and trombone, and alto and tenor sax, I find Chris Horn can be much more realistic than the demos even show, and since BBB is too memory intensive to realistically do a full band arrangement, I think CH is the best out there. Like First Call the keyswitches are easy and sound fairly natural, but there are many more velocity layers and about 10-20 different styles (short fall, long fall, doits, etc.) so you can create a fairly realistic line. I don't know if any library is quite ready to create a convincingly realistic line in live performance, but I think Chris Hein may be the best for your uses. I'll also say Kick ~~~ Brass has some good sounds too, but the various articulations aren't available through keyswitching so they are pretty time consuming to get anything out of. (For solo lines only, it seems BBB definitely takes the cake.)

Check out the WIVI forum for some recordings of live performances at gigs using the trumpets in jazz tunes. Sounds pretty good to me.

Musilmik..............My Brotha', You have convinced me. I also need more punch. I can still use my Screaming Trumpets w/ this, as it makes FCH sound too laid back. It's really strong, while FCH just sounds like they're reading charts !

Thanks Alot, I let you guys know how I like it.

My Gigastudio forums are overflowing w/ Orchestral guys.

Don't get me wrong, I love Orchestral libraries and instruments, but I have enough of those, and the good ones are memory hogs, and hardly playable live.

Orevua,
    JimmyV

Go Back to forum