• Register
  • Help

Topic: Microtones/ scale tuning

Share/Bookmark

Smile Microtones/ scale tuning

Hi All,

I was wondering if it was possible to playback a song in an Iranian scale with microtones. This is a key feature for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HP Pavilion zv6000
    WinXP-Pro. 2GB RM+600GB HDD
    Software: Finale 2007c, Band-In-A-Box, Garritan JABB, GPO, Nuendo 3, Sound Forge 8, NI-Komplete 5
    Keyboards: Roland Fantom X8, Creative PC-MIDI keyboard
    Chekad Sarami
    Math Professor

Re: Microtones/ scale tuning

Quote Originally Posted by chikitin
    Hi All,

I was wondering if it was possible to playback a song in an Iranian scale with microtones. This is a key feature for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HP Pavilion zv6000
    WinXP-Pro. 2GB RM+600GB HDD
    Software: Finale 2007c, Band-In-A-Box, Garritan JABB, GPO, Nuendo 3, Sound Forge 8, NI-Komplete 5
    Keyboards: Roland Fantom X8, Creative PC-MIDI keyboard

Yes, you playback a song in any custom scale through your keyboard. I play western scales for the most part, but i recently started experiementing with ethnic scales, and Iranian scales. I normally use Finale for my arrangements. Finale will let you mark microtones on your score, but i dont' think if it will actually play it back for you. But don't quote me on that one.

As far as plug ins, some have preset scales in the box such as wholetone, pantatonic, and what have you, and every now and then an arabic scale, but not an iranian scale. I'm actually trying to figure out how to send those microtone information to plug ins, and sound libraries through my keyboard right now.

chikitin-

Finale will allow you to notate microtonal music, but the playback is not affected. You could use the pitch wheel within Finale and create pitch bend expressions for each note, but this is an exhausting process with unreliable results.

But it is possible if you put in the effort.

Thanks guys so much for the feedback. Sorry that I am replying so late. As you know Northersounds doesn't accept gmail!

Best,

cs
    Chekad Sarami
    Math Professor

Go Back to forum