• Register
  • Help

Topic: 1,386 .Sf2 samples and counting

Share/Bookmark

1,386 .Sf2 samples and counting

I've been doing ALOT of cleaning up on my hard drives, trying to re-organize all my sample libraries and in doing so, I have amassed quite a collection of .sf2 files; almost 1,400! I knew I had quite a few but hadn't really counted every one until yesterday.

Anyway, I've been using the soundfont player that comes bundled with Fruity Loops to play all my .sf2 files. The player is ok but it doesn't support midi data, just note velocity triggered directly from the virtual keyboard. Here is my question. Recently, I read info. on a sondfont VSTi player (which is what I have been looking for) by Syntheway called "Fantasize Soundfont Player". The info. on it sounds pretty good, since it is a VSTi, but, I was wondering if anyone has, or is currently using this VSTi plugin? They have a demo version, but it's only drawback is, it emits an audible "beep" every 10 seconds on all output channels. I've tried the demo but it is annoying with the beep because you really can't get an accurate listen to it's productivity/usefulness. The full version is around $39 bucks, which I don't mind spending "if" it serves my purpose and is a good VSTi. But, I was wondering if anyone else has this plugin in use and if it does a good job?

Also, if anyone knows of another good quality soundfont VSTi plugin, I'm open to suggestions. Any info. or help would be appreciated.

Jaker "Shaver"
    "A wrong note played timidly, is still a wrong note. A wrong note played with authority, is improvisation."

Re: 1,386 .Sf2 samples and counting

Most software samplers these days can play soundfonts I believe - such as Kontakt. Pricey though, but well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfraser
    Most software samplers these days can play soundfonts I believe - such as Kontakt. Pricey though, but well worth it.
    That is the way to go. You can modify the sounds to your liking. Also is your are using FL, their Direct Wave Sampler is $99. They do plan to make improvements on it.

Try out Synthfont as a VSTi soundfont player as well.

Short Circuit 1 and 2 have the cleanest interface and give you a lot of control over the samples. Gives you a browser that lets you always see your list of presets It's now free\donationware. You must, must try this program out. See:

http://www.vemberaudio.se/shortcircuit.php

There's a good, ongoing, thread about it in the Instruments forum at KVR. Vember Audio also has a forum.

There are lots of sf2 players, but Synthfont and SFZ by rgc audio, both free, are the more accurates. Most of the sf2 players just ignores all the programming inside sf2, layers, filters, etc, but this two ones makes the job like the original soundblaster cards,that are where the sf2 are supposed to be used.
    Marcelo Colina

Quote Originally Posted by marce
    There are lots of sf2 players, but Synthfont and SFZ by rgc audio, both free, are the more accurates. Most of the sf2 players just ignores all the programming inside sf2, layers, filters, etc, but this two ones makes the job like the original soundblaster cards,that are where the sf2 are supposed to be used.
    Yes, I've used both and I agree. Synthfont is a full-featured application, but having been built for an older Windows OS, is showing its age. It is designed somewhat like Vienna and and can create SF2 files from samples, but unlike Vienna, does not require Creative hardware.

SFZ is a VST plugin and has a very simple interface, indeed, but under the hood has full support for all SF2 parameters, and a superior sound engine with sophisticated band-limiting features borrowed from Rapture. SFZ is a Cakewalk product since 2006, after their acquisition of RGC:audio.

The SFZ+ product adds multitimbral channels and a user interface for real time manipulation of envelopes, lfos, and filters. It is not free, but is priced quite reasonably and available on the Cakewalk website.

I think this one reads SoundFonts too: http://www.discodsp.com/highlife/
    It's not only free, but open source.
    -Dani-

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Johnson
    Short Circuit 1 and 2 have the cleanest interface and give you a lot of control over the samples. Gives you a browser that lets you always see your list of presets It's now free\donationware. You must, must try this program out. See:

http://www.vemberaudio.se/shortcircuit.php

There's a good, ongoing, thread about it in the Instruments forum at KVR. Vember Audio also has a forum.
    BIG vote for Short Circuit 1 & 2. 1 is a little bit easier to get started with but 2 also has its charms. The developer used to charge for these (somewhere in the 70-100 USD/EUR area I believe) but recently (about one month ago) decided to release them as freeware/donationware. I highly recommend them. They are not just simple players, they are full samplers and you can tweak your SF as you wish. Alternatively you can just plug-n-play and they can still sound good. They read SF2s very well and can really add some feeling to them. You can't beat the price and you might be very surprised by what you get for your download and maybe donation.
    Best regards,

Little Red King
    http://luridcactus.com/MusicPage.html

Go Back to forum