• Register
  • Help

Topic: Brass Ensemble "The Maison-tet"

Arrow Brass Ensemble "The Maison-tet"

I have returned. Thanksgiving break has arrived. And intend to listen to everything I've been missing these last few weeks. I'm currently putting a brass quintet together for next semester, called The Maison-tet; a play on my name, Maisonet. I start our ensembles performance with what is, at the moment, a short excerpt of the Pachelbel's Canon in D Major. The ending tuba part, although not written, includes the french horn's line from the beginning by using multiphonics, a technique that can be done on tuba euphonium and trombone. Trumpets tend to struggle with it. I will record that for you in the morning for all to hear. Let me know what you think of my so far arrangement.

With live tuba: (you'll have to forgive the track delay, I'm still learnin')

You'll have to forgive me for incorrectly making you believe there was a full ensemble. I just caught my error. Its a brass quintet; not an ensemble, in point of fact.
    Yours Truly,
    May the Fourth Be With You

My demos:

Re: Brass Ensemble "The Maison-tet"

Hi, Tuba - Welcome back, enjoy your vacation - and I think you're off to a really great start with this arrangement. Thanks!

Randy B.

Dallas, TX

Thumbs up Re: Brass Ensemble "The Maison-tet"

The multiphonics sound great, and beautiful arranging, Tuba.

Cool technique, I was not familiar with it. I think maybe the trombones are doing that in John Barry's Beyondness of Things, although they are very soft, it is hard to tell.

Are you given a chart or something, by your director, that shows what notes are possible in multiphonic for each instrument, as a guide for notating them?

Is it possible to produce the effect in Finale with the GPO instruments?

Sorry for all the questions, i just think it sounds great and very interesting.

Leaf: There wasn't any multiphonics on it until about just now. I had to go back and rerecord it in. You should listen to it again now. It's at the end of the song.
    Yours Truly,
    May the Fourth Be With You

My demos:

Nice arranging, Ben, along with some fine tuba work! I can picture this being peformed with each quintet member in a different corner of the recital hall (with tuba on stage, of course!).

As you mentioned, multiphonics seems to be more easily achieved on the larger brass instruments -- due to less back pressure from the instrument, I'm guessing -- but I've also played with some trumpet players who were just amazing at it; so, it CAN be done!

Enjoy your vacation and keep churning out the wonderful music!

Nice doing and I loved those multiphonics!!!!!

Great arrangement, TubaMaster!!!

I like the delays in the live of you. It gives more of an impression of the whole piece being live.

Great arrangement of a classic.

Well done

Loved the second version of this particularly, Ben;
    very nice job in it!

For those unfamiliar with "multiphonics", here's a
    Wikipedia write-up on it.

Go Back to forum