• Register
  • Help

Topic: Kontakt 3 Big Band instruments

Share/Bookmark

Talking Kontakt 3 Big Band instruments

Dear All

I can buy Kontakt 3 or Garritan Jabb but not both. I'm into writing for Big Band so my question is, does K3 have a good collection of saxes, trombones & horns as good as those in Jabb?

Cheers, CD

Re: Kontakt 3 Big Band instruments

Quote Originally Posted by CeemDee
    Dear All

I can buy Kontakt 3 or Garritan Jabb but not both. I'm into writing for Big Band so my question is, does K3 have a good collection of saxes, trombones & horns as good as those in Jabb?

Cheers, CD
    I haven't upgraded from K2 to K3 yet, so I can't speak to it's Big Band instruments (or lack thereof). I can say that JABB is very good for sketching Jazz pieces.

K3 is about $400
    JABB is about $250 (less through some retailers)

But another option is:

Buy JABB for $250; and then buy the K3 crossgrade for $250 for a total of $500.

Expect to spend some time learning how to get the best out of JABB. I think it will be the best buy if you are simply interested in a purpose built ROMpler for writing big band music. You have to learn the way to take advantage of the programming, so you really do need to read the manual. Then jump in with questions in the Garritan area of northernsounds. Lots of friendly people there to answer your questions.

Kontakt 3 is fantastic as an all-around sampler. It is pro-grade, and it takes time to master, as well. It comes with a huge sample library (30 gig +). But, that sample library is meant to cover a variety of styles and samples. So, yes, it has brass and saxes and keyboards, etc., but they are not dedicated to use as a big band. So, upside is mega-starter library with arguably the best software sampler on the market today. Downside is breadth without depth.

If you can afford to do what tfishbein82 suggests, that would be the best of both worlds, and give you the ultimate in flexibility long-term.
    Brad Pearson
    THG Music
    Spokane WA

MacBook Pro (2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo), 3 gig RAM, OS 10.6.5, Finale 2011b, GPO4 & CMB2

Agree 100 %!
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Go Back to forum