• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Truepianos

Truepianos is by far the best piano vst I've heard.....on most applications.
    Unfortunately I've discovered that it sounds pretty wack when you try playing chords, or multiple notes (3+) at the same time.
    listen to this:

can anyone else hear that annoying, twangy mechanical oscillation?

can someone recomend a great-sounding piano vst that doesnt have this problem?

Re: Truepianos

Have you tried Modartt Pianoteq? It's pretty much similar in approach as Truepiano.
    For mind-boggling music:

I have used the trail version quite extensively,
    and to be honest I think it is one of the worst piano vst's
    I've ever heard. When you load the VST does it require major tweaking
    to sound decent or something? Perhaps that is it, I know it has lots of features and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by antispatula
    I have used the trail version quite extensively,
    and to be honest I think it is one of the worst piano vst's
    I've ever heard.

I find it quite lovely actually. What preset did you use? I find it highly realistic and easy to use, loads immediately and... has plenty of stuff and presets to open.

One mans heaven is another mans hell...

I know isn't it weird how two people can have a completely different take on something like this?

I tried pretty much everything. I tried all the presets and even messed with all the fine-tuning features. Nothing sounded real. Perhaps it is because I have a grand piano in my livingroom and I am very accustomed to the sounds a real, nice grand piano makes.

I'm looking at Ivory right now. Sounds nice.....

By default, PianoTeq may not give you the piano you want. You have to edit the parameters. Think of it as being similar to a hardware synth\sampler that has a few ROM preset pianos (although it's not really like one of those at all...). It gives you all of the sound sources for a piano. You are expected to create your own sound from those sources.

1. It may help to know that a "classical," slightly distant piano sound was the point of departure for the original Pianoteq. If you anticipated a more up-front piano sound as soon as you load Pianoteq, you may be listening for things that just aren't there in the default settings. For ways to make it sound closer, be sure to read the posts on the forum at the Pianoteq site. And post suggestions.
    2. Try out the fairly recent Bechstein preset, one of the modeled downloads on the site: it has a brighter, closer sound that you may be able to better configure.
    3. Pianoteq has a slightly steeper learning curve than it might seem to require at first glance. Even if you've used samplers for several years, you may need some time to adjust to the way it models sounds. Spend a little more time with it and then spend some more. If there's a sound you want to create, but can't, post on the forum. Every parameter has a big effect, and often every edit you make requires another edit on another parameter or two. Play with it some more. Post on the forum, even if you just want to say what you dislike about it. (If I hadn't joined the forum and read the posts there, I really wouldn't know how to create the best sounds from it.)

And Truepianos is also great. Hate to say it, but you'll probably want both: two very different sounds. Just different animals. Like having two different pianos. Or twenty different pianos.

I don't like pianoteq either. MUCH prefer TruePianos. I don't know why you are hearing metalic sounds, I have not experienced anything like that at all and actually TruePianos really comes alive when playing chords, clusters, with sustain pedal, etc.. Check your midi setup to make sure you aren't getting duplicate note flanging. Contact truePianos tech support also, they are very responsive and eager to improve the product.

Pianoteq, to my ears, has a lot more flexibility than TP, but it did not even come close to capturing realism. I found Pianoteq most fun to tweak out and generate random sounds that barely sound like a piano but are cool nonetheless. TruePianos on the other is a pure joy to play. its the only digital piano, including Ivory, that makes me feel like I'm actually sitting in front of the soundboard of the actual piano.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

But you can, can, can get good piano sounds from PianoTeq. Some suggestions (because dimissing it this fast means that something's wrong somewhere):

1. Use version 2.1. (The latest version, for me, has a few too many upper harmonics and is hard to tame. Always sounds bright.)
    2. Move the Dynamics slider to the left & experiment with it in the low 20's-mid 30's. (It's a velocity to amplitude control: with lower settings, the ampltude of soft sounds increases without raising the volume of high veloctiy strikes.)
    3. Try all of the presets, including the models you have to download separately. The fairly recent Bechstein has a closer sound and more bite.
    4. Use eq a little more than you might for a real instrument to bring out the bass. (The eq affects the sound prior to all other modifications.)
    5. Play with both the hammer volume slider and the hammer hardness setting: by default, the hammers are usually hard and set to a medium brghtness. You may like a softer hammer that is louder but also softer. But be aware that if you make the hammer too soft at low velocities, you may get the sine tones at low velocities.
    6. For now, you can't have different settings for different keyboard regions, so any edits you make (harmonic content, sympathetic resonance, eq, etc ) will apply to all of the notes. BUT: since Pianoteq only takes up 8 megs, you can load multiple instances in Cantabile or any other vst host and do the splits there, letting you create keyboard regions with very different settings.
    7. The PianoTeq forum at http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewforum.php?id=1 is a good source of information.

New York, NY

I going to say this and I know it's going to make some of you laugh... The reason I don't like pianoteq is because it sounds like a real piano... It has all the bad things I don't like about a real piano...

Because I've been playing sampled pianos now for so long, Truepianos sound to me like this idealized piano that doesn't really exist except electronically... anyway, I know some of you will think I'm crazy, but that's my take on truepianos...

Just to add my take on the best piano.

I have Ivory,Akoustik, Emperor, Old lady, the K2 pianos and Steinbergs Grand2. and some Sampletekk pianos, oh yes and and the Boesendorfer 290.

Some days Ivory sounds fantastic, but they all take their turn in being my favorite.

One thing I do, which adds to all of these pianos, is the Steinberg/Cubase/Magneto plug-in, as a send effect to taste.

It's still a mystery to me, why they all sound different each day.

Go Back to forum