• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Europa. Io and Callisto

Share/Bookmark

Europa. Io and Callisto

I did this one back in July. All GPO.

Sorry about the poor legato in the strings!! Sibelius says I am asking too much of GPO to get any better. It just goes to show that idiots will one day rule the world.

Any suggestions, comments and insults are all appreciated.

http://www.box.net/shared/f2qmi9zobf

Ron

Re: Europa. Io and Callisto

hey Ron,

Tons of texture and nice broad harmonies interspersed with quieter sections. Good theme repetition connected by flowing transitions. I really enjoyed the "march" or "gallop" movements; how the brass would softly introduce and the rest of the ensemble would gradually build... Great ending too!

The only "some what" negative thing would be the solo voice dynamics. Toward the middle I believe there was a string solo "type" area and each note seemed to have nearly the same velocity level.

Overall, great job! Definitely one of my favorites!

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Michael,

I uploaded the wrong file!!! (I always have too many to choose from)

The new one has the right dynamics and has a few extra measures in the violin solo to make it right.

I sent you this one back in July and then sort of let it sit until yesterday. Then I added the solo violin and a vibraphone and ran it thru GPO to come up with this.

I am very happy with the outcome and am also glad you like it. I sort of thought you might as it is much more tonal than usual for me.

The Reason I picked the name was because of the section with the brass reminded me of things erupting. Io is the one of the most active places in our solar system with lots of active volcanos. I sort of hear lots of bubbling and gushing in that Part and Europa and Callisto are its neighbors around Jupiter.

Thanks again

Ron

I was going to ask if you were getting "neo-romantic" on me?
    A great blend on the dissonance and consonance.

Now, I don't use Sibelius or GPO, just the GOS, but if you "select" the notes you want to "legato" and adjust their duration amounts over 100% (110 - 125%) they should start to "blend" and "blur" the "attack" of the strings and leave the suggestion of legato.

I don't know if you can edit the string samples in GPO to reduce the volume of "attack" and then save it as another sample....???

Otherwise, very nicely rendered! Enjoyed.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor
    I was going to ask if you were getting "neo-romantic" on me?
    A great blend on the dissonance and consonance.

Now, I don't use Sibelius or GPO, just the GOS, but if you "select" the notes you want to "legato" and adjust their duration amounts over 100% (110 - 125%) they should start to "blend" and "blur" the "attack" of the strings and leave the suggestion of legato.

I don't know if you can edit the string samples in GPO to reduce the volume of "attack" and then save it as another sample....???

Otherwise, very nicely rendered! Enjoyed.

Michael
    The only way I can get sib to do a legato is by putting a slur across the notes. This sets cc68 (cc64 most anywhere else) to 127 and makes the previous note at 102%. I have talked to the people there at sib over and over about this, and they say live with what you got. Soon I will get Sonar Home Studio and run GPO thru there and give up using Sib as anything other than a program for scores. Which means I never have to buy an update from them again.

There are still many problems I am waiting for them to fix in regards to vista as well. (They blame Vista for Sib not working correctly). As if Bill Gates has it out for them.

As I said earlier, Idiots will run the world. Just another way of history repeating itself.

Thanks again

Ron

Have you tried looking at Overture?

I haven't really looked at Overture. As far as I know it is just another notation program and I really don't need that.

I figure I will compose in sib and then render it thru Sonar to add the right cc values that work and then I am set. Besides I get to play with lots more dials and buttons that way! For 150$ I get a decent daw and more samples and more questions that need to be answered. Fun times!!

Ron

mmmmm, you lost me.

sorry Ron, not trying to make things more complicated. I can tell your frustrated and rightfully so..

All I know is with Overture you can control all the MIDI notation settings for each note, like duration, velocity, etc. using percentages and values -- and also dynamic markings - but I have that turned off.

I honestly don't understand your setup and GPO much.

You know better than I.

Hope you get things worked out.

Michael

This is great writing. The harmonies are delicious. I always enjoy your music. I did find the reverb sometimes to be a little surprising, it certainly isn't too much, it has the right feel, but every now and then there is a long trail of sound decay (sorry I can't explain too good). But that's just a minor observation.

I don't think the legato sounds at all bad. It is probably not as legato as it could be, but I'm afraid you are right about Sibelius. I used Sibelius3 some time ago, and I have to honestly say that it doesn't work as closely with GPO as one would want to. It is a tedious process to deal with controllers in there.

Anyway, I enjoy this great composition.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Ron,

Very interesting work you have here. Lots of surprises in it..little twists and turns. Good use of the GPO instruments. Thanks for sharing it with the forum.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast