• Register
  • Help

Topic: External esata hard drive for samples - please help?!

Share/Bookmark

External esata hard drive for samples - please help?!

Hi all,

A question, please, about how to connect/use esata external drives.

I currently have two internal hard drives - one for system/samples and one currently for my Cubase projects/audio. I understand they are in RAID 0 striped set

I just got an external esata hard drive (a Western Digital MyBook, which also has USB 2.0) so I can use that just for my samples. I also got a Lacie PCI controller card, and have installed that in a free PCI slot.

The MyBook works fine when connected via USB - it just pops up in Explorer as a new hard drive.

But connecting via esata cable is a nightmare - either it does not show up in Explorer, or I get a notice saying "Bus reset" and nothing works. Also, if I have the MyBook on at the time that I boot up the computer, the computer will not only not recognise it, but the boot up time will be really long.

Am I right in thinking that esata is not "plug and play" in the way USB is?

Thanks so much for your help.

Leonard

Re: External esata hard drive for samples - please help?!

I'm using the Lacie Quadra with the express card slot on a mac book pro. Everything works fine. There is an icon that pops up in the right hand corner where the airport and bluetooth status is indicated. For me it's pretty much plug n play no matter how or when I connect it.

John
    Student in Electro-acoustics

I too had planned on getting a esata drive myself, but were warned from alot of different people to AVOID the Mybook westerns, and go with seagate products when dealing with esata.

They were apparantly quite unstable, and qonsequently there is a reason for it being much less expensive then the seagate ones.

So i think your assumption is right, its not quite plug and play right now.
    Atleast not the with all the models.

Thanks to both of you. Penny wise pounfd foolish, as usual - sigh. Given I got a Lacie controller I should have got a Lace Quadra drive. Oh well, I guess I can just keep my MyBook as a spare USB hard drive to back up projects - the USB works fine by esata is lousy.

Thanks again

Len

I've got a Lacie drive hooked via a Sonnet Tech eSATA card. Lacie was out of stock on their own brand of controller, but this combination has worked flawlessly for me.

It was not plug and play on my G5 - but a simple driver installation was all that it needed.

For samples - my Lacie drives are workhorses. The Western Digital drives were always quirky and erratic (waiting for the drives to spin back up in the middle of projects), but fine for backup.

pax

Hi gpax - after you installed the software, was it the case that you could just plug in the Lacie via esata and have that recognised just as you would i you plugged in via USB? Any problems with having the Lacie on BEFORE booting up?

Thanks"

Len

Go Back to forum