• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How to split my keyboard into two zones for different soft synts in Sonar 6

Share/Bookmark

How to split my keyboard into two zones for different soft synts in Sonar 6

Dear All,
    I’m trying to split my MIDI keyboard, a Triton Studio 88 from 2004, into two zones in Sonar. Each zone will be mapped to a different soft synth. I have a program called MIDI Ox which I tried to learn to use a few years ago. Unfortunately, I can’t figure out how to split my keyboard with soft synths because they don’t have physical In and OUT ports. How do I split the bottom portion of the keyboard to a soft piano and the top to a soft cello?
    Thanks,
    Kevin

Re: How to split my keyboard into two zones for different soft synts in Sonar 6

Quote Originally Posted by kevjazz
    Dear All,
    I’m trying to split my MIDI keyboard, a Triton Studio 88 from 2004, into two zones in Sonar. Each zone will be mapped to a different soft synth. I have a program called MIDI Ox which I tried to learn to use a few years ago. Unfortunately, I can’t figure out how to split my keyboard with soft synths because they don’t have physical In and OUT ports. How do I split the bottom portion of the keyboard to a soft piano and the top to a soft cello?
    Thanks,
    Kevin
    kevin, i know you're flexible with kontakt, because you can specify the keyzones,...etc. But as far as doing that with plug ins running on their own interface, i'm not so sure if you can. Because as far as i know they respond to midi channels, not zones. I 'm thinking there's probably another program, like the one you mentioned which i know nothing about, might do that. I just hate to add more and more adapters though, because you just end up with more latency. Let's see if others have better suggestions...

I think you'll need to refer to the Triton manual for this, instead of trying to do it directly via Sonar or softsynths. There should be an option somewhere to split the keyboard and send both in separate midi channels. Then just route the VSTi's in Sonar so that they respond to those channels.

(can't be much more specific than that as I don't have Sonar or Triton...)
    For mind-boggling music:

http://www.chaosresearch.de

Quote Originally Posted by gravehill
    I think you'll need to refer to the Triton manual for this, instead of trying to do it directly via Sonar or softsynths. There should be an option somewhere to split the keyboard and send both in separate midi channels. Then just route the VSTi's in Sonar so that they respond to those channels.

(can't be much more specific than that as I don't have Sonar or Triton...)
    Yep , you can split Triton to as many zones as you want. I do it all the time, because i load different sounds to different zones for stage performance. I haven't tried to assign those zones to different midi channels manually,but i think triton does that automatically, by assigning those zones to different channel, so that you could have differnet sounds i guess, i'll try it and will let you know for sure

I think Sonar has some midi filter plugins. Maybe you could have two miditracks going to two different softsynths. Have both tracks recive signal from your midi keyboard. Use midi monitoring (or whatever it's called) on both tracks so you can hear them both at the same time. Then use the midi filter plugin to filter out the low keys in one track and the high keys on the other.

I haven't tried it so I don't know if it would work though...

-Ranietz-

Quote Originally Posted by Ranietz
    I think Sonar has some midi filter plugins. Maybe you could have two miditracks going to two different softsynths. Have both tracks recive signal from your midi keyboard. Use midi monitoring (or whatever it's called) on both tracks so you can hear them both at the same time. Then use the midi filter plugin to filter out the low keys in one track and the high keys on the other.

I haven't tried it so I don't know if it would work though...

-Ranietz-
    Wow,are you serious? That's a very nice feature to have. Pro tools is very good when it comes to Audio, but still behind in midi world. I'd like to see something like that built in protools as well. I'm sure if you spend little bit time in Sonar's forum, you'll figure it out in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by PROTOOLSGUY
    Wow,are you serious? That's a very nice feature to have. Pro tools is very good when it comes to Audio, but still behind in midi world. I'd like to see something like that built in protools as well. I'm sure if you spend little bit time in Sonar's forum, you'll figure it out in no time.
    Yeah, I'm serious. I tested it today and it works great.

-Ranietz-

Forte !!
    JimmyV

Quote Originally Posted by Ranietz
    Yeah, I'm serious. I tested it today and it works great.

-Ranietz-
    Awesome, so is that a built in feature in cubase for sure? Do you if it's available as a third party plug in as well?

Quote Originally Posted by PROTOOLSGUY
    Awesome, so is that a built in feature in cubase for sure? Do you if it's available as a third party plug in as well?
    I don't have Cubase but I'm pretty sure it can do something similar. Maybe someone else can comment on that. All you have to do is to be able to have monitoring on two midi tracks at the same time and be able to filter out some midi notes.

-Ranietz-

Go Back to forum