• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Copy Protection & DRM

Share/Bookmark

OT: Copy Protection & DRM

DVDs, iTunes, and many other things use copy protection or DRM on the their products. What is your thought on copy protection for things that you paid for, legally owning those products. The basic question about DRM and Copy Protection: bare it or break it?
    Anthony Abruscato

"There are only two types of music: Love Songs and Pirate Music"

HP Pavillion dv6171cl w/ Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, 2 GB Ram, 250 GB 5200 RPM HD + an external 300 GB HD. GPO, JABB, CAMB, Sibelius 5.1, Finale 2008a, and a demo copy of FL studio.

Re: OT: Copy Protection & DRM

What a dangerous thread...

Can't say I like DRM and doubt anyone does. I also don't like the non skipable antipiracy ads in the begining of legally bought DVDs (I bought the damn DVD, why don't you leave me alone to anjoy it?). That said I don't pirate anything. No, that's a part lie (I think). I buy CDs which are NOT DRM protected and make them into mp3s to go into my portable mp3 player (I doubt it's illegal though, as if it were it'd be totally stupid).

I am against the idea "anything to protect from piracy", if it means hurting legal customers. We had a lengthy discussion about one year ago about piracy and I hope, just hope that Gary is secure enough with his community (Which is stunning) not to use dongles and the rest.

But we'll see... Anything that happens I "know" Gary, as much as all of you do (through here I mean) and anything he does is ok in my books. He puts so much care into the community that... he can do no harm imho.

EDIT: Oh! iTunes! They offer 2 versions, last I heard? One "cheap" with DRM and one more... expensive without the DRM and higher quality mp3s. I find this totally awful business and really have NEVER bought from iTunes, nor I will!

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas
    No, that's a part lie (I think). I buy CDs which are NOT DRM protected and make them into mp3s to go into my portable mp3 player (I doubt it's illegal though, as if it were it'd be totally stupid).

(
    My understanding is that you can make a copy for your own personal use, so this would qualify. Even Sony understands that you might want a copy for your car...

Still, the hurdles that legal, paying customers have to go through is silly.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

The main problem with DRM is that it, in conjunction with the DMCA, steps on the previously established fair use clause. DRM keeps you from making your legally-entitled backup copy, but the DMCA makes it illegal for people to make tools to crack the DRM to do so (remember DVD X Copy?). Therefore, the fair use "loophole" as big media sees it, has been closed.

Another major problem is that it does absolutely nothing to stop or even discourage piracy. It always gets cracked eventually, and the people who want to crack it will crack it. These people take it as a challenge when some DRM company comes out and says it is uncrackable. And then six weeks later, it gets cracked.The problem with two-way encryption is that it can always be decrypted. You can't use one-way here either because you need to decrypt it to play it.

A third major problem is that it alienates customers. Like the recent Blu-ray DRM issue that prevented some players from playing the new Blu-Ray discs. Average Joe does not know how to update firmware. Also, remember the Sony debacle? DRM that acts like a virus and in some cases prevented any use of a computer's optical drives. It creates a situation where the pirated copy has greater value than the original, as the pirate copy WILL play. Anywhere.

DRM also adds to the loss of profit from these companies as you not only have the costs of production, general overhead, and "lost" sales due to piracy. I put lost in quotes because there really is no proof that everyone who pirated it would have bought it if the pirate copy wasn't available (of course some would). DRM adds DRM R&D Costs, patent licensing in come cases, class-action lawsuits that come from DRM "mistakes," and loss of alienated customers to the before mentioned costs.

Some forms, such as Disney's 'one week use' DVDs that become coasters after seven days of exposure to air, are environmentally irresponsible.

I just can't see why these companies insist on DRM. It doesn't make sense, even from a profit perspective. Unless they eventually want Pay-per-Play for everything, but I think that is getting into conspiracy theory territory so I have doubts about that.

I think the consensus, in the last thread on this, was that most people don't like it. I thought iTunes made an anouncement about a year ago that they were going to stop putting that in the music they sell. Or maybe they were just thinking about doing that or something. Does anyone else remember that, Steve Jobs saying it was time to end DRM?

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    I think the consensus, in the last thread on this, was that most people don't like it. I thought iTunes made an anouncement about a year ago that they were going to stop putting that in the music they sell. Or maybe they were just thinking about doing that or something. Does anyone else remember that, Steve Jobs saying it was time to end DRM?
    As I said, without being certain, iTunes offer 2 versions the DRM free (and more expensive) and the DRM (cheaper).

EDIT: I can't check it, since I don't use iTunes at all in my computer. I love my winamp and that's all there is, for me!

itunes offers two different kinds of music, DRMed and iTunes plus, the latter only being available on a small amount of music. I had four albums, A Holst album, a Tichelli album, The planets, and New World Symphony. When I bought them, they were not in iTunes plus. about two weeks later, they showed up in iPlus, and I had to pay to upgrade those albums to get a higher quality without DRM. On my other albums, I just used a program which stripped the DRM from the regular iTunes files, and they work just the same, and have all the same tags as the originals, including those little pictures in red next to the song titles that say explicit (gotta love ska).
    Anthony Abruscato

HP Pavillion dv6171cl w/ Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, 2 GB Ram, 250 GB 5200 RPM HD + an external 300 GB HD. GPO, JABB, CAMB, Sibelius 5.1, Finale 2008a, and a demo copy of FL studio.

Ok, so it stands true.

Now think of this, if you please: Someone pays money for development and licensing of DRM (isn't it SONY that came up with it?)
    iTunes charges less the tracks that have the additional byproduct named DRM!
    iTunes charges more to take out what they put in themselves! (the DRM)

Actually, they both cost $.99 a track, so they really don't make much more (if any) off of the different tracks. You just pay to upgrade your tracks (if they can be)
    Anthony Abruscato

Go Back to forum